Après L'Ondée (1906)

PerfumerJacques Guerlain
Parent CompanyLVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton
Parent Company at launchGuerlain

About Après L'Ondée

This floral-powdery scent was designed to recall the joys of a walk in the country, the sunshine after the rain, and walking barefoot through wet grass.

Après L'Ondée fragrance notes

Reviews of Après L'Ondée

As fleetingly and hauntingly beautiful as everyone says. Personally, I find it contemplative more than melancholic. I’ll never be without a bottle of this.
30th December, 2018
When I first tried a sample of Après l'Ondée, about 10 years ago, I thought it was one of the most beautiful perfumes I'd ever smelled. I didn't get around to buying a bottle until about four years ago, though, at which point I had that strange sensation that sometimes happens when perfume memory and reality don't quite mesh. Especially since I'd been spending a lot of time with L' Heure Bleu—I found them to be redundant to each other, if that's the right way to put it.

And, as it turns out, it's not just my nose making that assessment. As Guerlain admits on it's own site: "Guerlain creations each have their own story and sometimes strong similarities. This is the case of Après l'Ondée and L'Heure Bleue, two countryside fragrances inspired by the beauty of a moment and a photograph of nature. Created six years earlier, Après l'Ondée has a more watercolour and pastel aspect than L'Heure Bleue."

That's it exactly.

Thankfully, the distinctions do become apparent enough to justify having both bottles, if only to note how skillfully Jacques Guerlain could push a certain theme. Whereas L'Heure Bleu becomes increasingly heavy on my skin, woody and sharp, with medicinal, pencil-shaving notes joining the florals, Après l'Ondée becomes softer and yet more spicy—a duet between iris and carnation.

And ALO always wears like a cologne, never a perfume (it's hard to believe, in fact, that it ever came in an extrait version). If it's a really hot day, and if I spray enough of it, it will waft up and out for a good three to four hours at least. But in the cold, it stays very very close to the skin and disappears entirely after a few hours.

I have sniffed hundreds of perfumes since I was first bowled over by ALO, and at times I'm nostalgic for that naiveté—that gut reaction to something, ignorant of history and experience. Regardless, this will likely always remain in my collection, if for no other reason than it's so pretty and wearable, so youthful and goodhearted, in a way that many Guerlains are not.
06th May, 2018 (last edited: 07th May, 2018)
This is an odd fragrance. I rarely give feminine frags negative or neutrals. Most are safe. This is a chemical smell. The iris and orris combine with the violet to cancel out most of the floral smell, and cause it to be chemical. Looking at the original date, I bet it smelled much differently when it wasn't altered by government control.
15th September, 2017
A solid, multi-layered powdery scent. I've got sweet creamy violet, lower-pitch orris, an oily/muddy/spicy heliotrope, and some subtle mimosa tone.

All of which is accompanied by high-pitched, chilly medicinal disinfectant notes, close to galbanum but not quite so. Styrax maybe? I honestly wonder why they put such note there.

Since I don't know any french, I don't get the rain/water/moisture suggested by the name. It's fairly dry to me. If I stretch a bit, perhaps that medicinal note is mean to represent the soil after rain?
29th August, 2017
Stardate 20170731:

Old school floral. Has been copied and is so ubiquitous that it smells cheap. A shame.

31st July, 2017
Apres L'ondee is a nice enough scent. There is a note combination I cannot identify that seems a bit odd, to my nose. Perhaps it is the cassia and orris root. What ever it is, It doesn't work, on my skin. After this dries down, it is pleasant and wearable. I had read so much praise about this one I had to at least try it. I am glad I had a sample given to me. This Guerlain offering, is just not for me.
14th July, 2017

Guerlain Apres L'Ondee Perfume Women 3.4 oz Eau De Toilette Spray New Packaging

End Date: Friday Jan-25-2019 11:55:34 PST
Buy It Now for only: $139.86
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

GUERLAIN APRES L'ONDEE EAU DE TOILETTE SPRAY 100 ML/3.3 FL.OZ. (T)

End Date: Friday Jan-25-2019 12:56:30 PST

Apres L'ondee by Guerlain Eau De Toilette Spray 3.4 oz for Women

End Date: Monday Jan-28-2019 13:50:02 PST
Buy It Now for only: $131.99
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

Apres L'ondee by Guerlain Eau De Toilette Spray 3.4 oz / 100 ml (Women)

End Date: Tuesday Jan-29-2019 10:49:48 PST

Apres L'ondee by Guerlain Eau De Toilette Spray 3.4 oz

End Date: Thursday Jan-31-2019 3:43:38 PST
Buy It Now for only: $145.86
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

Apres L'ondee by Guerlain Eau De Toilette Spray 3.4 oz / 100 ml (Women)

End Date: Thursday Jan-31-2019 8:48:53 PST
Buy It Now for only: $192.60

Member images of Après L'Ondée

There are no member images of Après L'Ondée yet. Why not be the first?

Perfumes launched in the same year as Après L'Ondée (1906)