Après L'ondée (1906)

PerfumerJacques Guerlain
Parent CompanyLVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton
Parent Company at launchGuerlain

About Après L'ondée

This floral-powdery scent was designed to recall the joys of a walk in the country, the sunshine after the rain, and walking barefoot through wet grass.

Après L'ondée fragrance notes

Reviews of Après L'ondée

This is an odd fragrance. I rarely give feminine frags negative or neutrals. Most are safe. This is a chemical smell. The iris and orris combine with the violet to cancel out most of the floral smell, and cause it to be chemical. Looking at the original date, I bet it smelled much differently when it wasn't altered by government control.
15th September, 2017
A solid, multi-layered powdery scent. I've got sweet creamy violet, lower-pitch orris, an oily/muddy/spicy heliotrope, and some subtle mimosa tone.

All of which is accompanied by high-pitched, chilly medicinal disinfectant notes, close to galbanum but not quite so. Styrax maybe? I honestly wonder why they put such note there.

Since I don't know any french, I don't get the rain/water/moisture suggested by the name. It's fairly dry to me. If I stretch a bit, perhaps that medicinal note is mean to represent the soil after rain?
29th August, 2017
Stardate 20170731:

Old school floral. Has been copied and is so ubiquitous that it smells cheap. A shame.

31st July, 2017
Apres L'ondee is a nice enough scent. There is a note combination I cannot identify that seems a bit odd, to my nose. Perhaps it is the cassia and orris root. What ever it is, It doesn't work, on my skin. After this dries down, it is pleasant and wearable. I had read so much praise about this one I had to at least try it. I am glad I had a sample given to me. This Guerlain offering, is just not for me.
14th July, 2017
I like iris (iris root, orris root), which is one of two main components I get from Apres L'Ondee. The other is a sharp, astringent smell, like a skin-drying soap. It works for me.

Instead of a post-rain smell, I get a post-cleaning smell, and a persistent image of perfectly clean ivory white dishes, still warm in the drying rack.
28th June, 2017 (last edited: 30th June, 2017)
I never have, and probably never will, have the privelage of experiencing the vintage extract - which leaves me in a completely open position to admire the beauty of the "eunuch" on offer today. Apres L'Ondee in it's current form can and should be viewed as the most beguiling of the Guerlain "Eau De Colognes" (Imperial, Coq, Cedrat). Like the aforementioned Eaux, there is simply NO longevity - after an hour any scent is barely perceptible - yet the brief time one does have with L'Ondee is spent in joyful sadness. It is a Cat Power record in a bottle - fragile, beautiful, fleeting.
19th February, 2017

Add your review of Après L'ondée

Shop for Après L'ondée products online

Shop for Après L'ondée at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Après L'ondée

Member images of Après L'ondée

There are no member images of Après L'ondée yet. Why not be the first?

Perfumes launched in the same year as Après L'ondée (1906)