Mitsouko (1919)

PerfumerJacques Guerlain
Parent CompanyLVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton
Parent Company at launchGuerlain

About Mitsouko

Mitsouko is a feminine perfume by Guerlain. The scent was launched in 1919 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Jacques Guerlain

Mitsouko fragrance notes

Reviews of Mitsouko

It's been about 10 or 12 years since I first tried Mitsouko, back when my Dillard's used to carry all the classic Guerlains. I didn't love it. I didn't hate it. But I didn't really like it, either. I did groove on the initial brightness of it, the juicy peachiness interwoven with citrus, but then after the first few minutes it devolved into something more harsh, yet at the same time kind of vague. I figured I just wasn't sophisticated enough to appreciate it, and yet I never revisited it.

Until recently, when I was gifted with a bottle of the EDP, which turns out to be from 2014, supposedly a very good reformulation year. The peachy/citrusy opening still really sparkles, and the middle sings a very fine spicy (cinnamon? clove?) tune on my skin for about an hour. But after that it just falls off the cliff and muddles itself into a big ol' bunch of fusty/dusty/musty-ness, and not in a way that I would normally champion, like, say, Joy’s symphonic florals turned to rot or Djedi's mix of damp-basement and lemony roses or Youth Dew's balsamic orange blossom weirdness. Here, and at least on my skin and to my nose, Mitsouko is kind of a mess—an expensive, beautifully made, historically significant mess, to be sure. But still a mess.

The good news is, if you love it, it will last forever. It's still wafting from the T-shirt I had on when I spritzed it two days ago.
22nd April, 2018 (last edited: 07th May, 2018)
For me, it is the greatest fragrance. It is made with superb ingredients and comprises of all the elements I want in a fragrance and somehow ditches all the elements I don’t like in a fragrance.

If Bois de Iles is the next step for lovers of Egoiste then Mitsouko is the next step for lovers of Bel Ami, Blend 30 and vintage Tabarome.

I associate this smell with cigars and pipe tobacco. No need to be scared with it being peachy and feminine.
09th March, 2018
It’s not bad, but I feel bad for not liking it. The opening with bergamot is interesting, just like Shalimar. Then it’s a bit dull...

OK, OK. After reading your reviews, I guess I'll have to try it again.

The vintage Parfum miniature I have (from the 90’s) is way more interesting and make this review go from a “meh” neutral to positive. The bergamot is less present and goes towards a beautiful floral mix. Very potent.
28th December, 2017 (last edited: 02nd March, 2018)
Say my name !!!! Mitsouko !
Wonderful !I like edt ,edp not good smell.
20th December, 2017
What wondrous story
Making past seem like present
Stirs in your bottle?
25th November, 2017
I bought this blindly and the Eau de Toilette came in the mail a few days ago.

When I opened the gold box and took the elegant bottle out I was excited.

Then I sprayed it on me. It instantly reminded me of my late Aunt Serena who lived from 1921-2011. Which was both good and bad.

This scent is unlike anything I've ever liked. My first impression was that I hated it. My preferences are for notes such as opoponox, sandalwood, cedar, cypress, and bergamot. My favorite scents are Chanel Bois des Iles, Diptypque Tam Dao, Tom Ford Noir and Gucci II. I took a "risk" by purchasing Mitsouko.

The problem with me, personally, is that I was convinced this smelled like my late Aunt Serena. I loved her, but I did not want to smell like her. So I contacted her son and asked him if his mother ever wore Mitsouko.

His answer was related to something that will not sound at all politically correct but it is the truth.

Aunt Serena was married to Uncle Luke, who served in the US Army Infantry during WWII. He fought in the most brutal battles in the Pacific, both on Leyte Island and Okinawa against Japanese forces. He saw the worst of war. He hated the enemy.

So according to Serena and Luke's son Tom, his mom would NEVER wear any perfume that sounded Japanese. My apologies for having to communicate something which sounds prejudiced to modern ears. Yes it is, but it must be understood in connection to those who experienced WWII. There are still some old people who won't drive German cars, or people in China who cannot forgive Japan, or Japanese who cannot forgive the atomic bombs. We must all repair our bonds but we also must try and see how historic hates metastasized into wars.

So now I know my Aunt Serena never wore Mitsouko. And after learning of this, I reapplied the scent, forgot the association, and found that Mitsouko needs time to appreciate.

It is frankly old-fashioned, reminding me of opening up an old box of newspapers in an attic, smelling the inside of piano, entering an old house where a woman just dusted herself with powder and went into the kitchen and sliced up a peach.

The scent sticks and sticks and will not go away. It dries down into something perceptible and ruminative. It makes me think of the piano score from the Anastasia (1958) written by Alfred Newman and starring Ingrid Bergman.
21st October, 2017 (last edited: 15th February, 2018)

Add your review of Mitsouko

Shop for Mitsouko products online

Search for on eBay United States

• USD $8.90

• USD $11.80

Vintage Guerlain Mitsouko Paris Unopened with Box

• USD $26.00 HIGHEST BID
  • Listing Type: Auction – 11 Bid(s)
  • Time Left: 6 days

• Listing Type: Buy it Now
  • Time Left: 17 days

Guerlain Mitsouko Gold Bee Bottle EDP 250 ml 8.4 fl oz Bottle Sealed Cap

• USD $311.00 HIGHEST BID
  • Listing Type: Auction – 24 Bid(s)

Guerlain MItsouko Eau de Parfum 2ml or 5ml Sample perfume

• USD $12.75
  • Time Left: 16 days

Guerlain Mitsouko Women 2.5 oz 75 ml Eau De Parfum Spray Box Sealed EDP France

• USD $39.90
  • Time Left: 4 days

Member images of Mitsouko

There are no member images of Mitsouko yet. Why not be the first?