Mitsouko (1919)

PerfumerJacques Guerlain
Parent CompanyLVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton
Parent Company at launchGuerlain

About Mitsouko

Mitsouko is a feminine perfume by Guerlain. The scent was launched in 1919 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Jacques Guerlain

Mitsouko fragrance notes

Reviews of Mitsouko

I read another fragrantica review about Guerlains, which propose an explaination why this truly legendary brand not as popular as it was: they're not those over-the-counter 5-minutes-fame perfumes, they're mean to be take-home and appreciated in a longer time frame. Most people don't have the patience now.

Now that I've experienced mitsouko, I can't agree more with this review.

First time I tried mitsouko at counter, the sales person burst into laugh when they saw the grimace I made: the opening is a bit off-putting. It has a rather medicinal note which appears in a lot of old Guerlains, and I still don't know what caused it. I also get that inky/wet oakmoss tone on top. The rest of it is soft-fresh spice smell, not sweet, not warm, not harsh.

I just let it sit on my arms and went home, planning to scrub it off as soon as I can. By one accident sniff I was captured: it turns into something divine. The only note I can pick out is peach, not in a realistic way——frankly speaking, a lot of realistic peach only make me feel they tried too hard——but rather...lazy and comforting, not unlike a beauty lies blithely on the bed of aforementioned spicy accords, as if she did not know how charming she is.

So Guerlain teachs me a lesson: never judge a perfume by its opening, especially old classics like mitsouko.
18th October, 2017
Every time I try this out, it smells like spicy plastic and I can't detect the florals at all. I'm mainly smelling a more peppery version of Irish Spring with something else I can't identify muddying up the smell. It certainly smells expensive, but it's also highly stuffy and moldy. It's what I imagine an old dowager's mink smells like. I love most Guerlains, but this one hasn't worked for me in any season. After an hour, I have to get it off of me.
11th October, 2017
I seriously loved this one for approximately a year, bought a 2 oz sealed vintage bottle for big bucks, and then slowly lost my enthusiasm. I still think, intellectually, that it is a stunning chypre, but I have to be in a very specific mood (slightly melancholic, introspective, autumnal) to want to wear it. I don't feel entirely attractive when I wear Mitsouko; I feel sophisticated and 'classy,' but I don't feel seductive in any way, and because of that, I don't indulge very often. I tend to like my chypres to be a bit more intriguing or animalic or dirty; Mitsouko is lovely, but distant-smelling and slightly spicy, rather than sensual or inviting, or even biting. I appreciate this scent for what it is, but what it is, isn't me, therefore I don't wear it--although I still have my bottle that I sniff from and sample on lonely fall evenings when the leaves are just beginning to turn.
01st October, 2017
I bought Mitsouko perfume bottles 15ml.& 7ml. This is classic and very beautiful smell. Perfume had flower,wood smell but Eau de Toilette had green smell sharply. I don't like EdT.
27th June, 2017 (last edited: 02nd July, 2017)
This one I like, depending on my mood. To me it is a woody, slightly spicy, floral. No one note stands out. They are all blended together. It is a somewhat monotone fragrance.
11th June, 2017
This one crept up on me. I got myself a 2 ml sample of the EdT because I wanted to explore some of the classic Guerlain fragrances. I did not expect to really love it, but it did sound interesting, and I thought it might help me understand what a chypre smells like.

On the first try I did not even know whether I liked it or not. Compared to most of my (rather Chanel heavy) fragrance collection, this one smelled a little odd, a bit difficult, slightly off even. It did, however, smell interesting, not generic, and certainly not boring, and somehow I kept going back to that sample to try some more.

It took me a few wears to distinguish and label the different notes I smelled. I definitely get peach. It's not a bright and sunny peach, but more of a mysterious dark peach. I also get a little of the jasmine and some subtle woods in the base, but neither of these notes are the star of the show.

The real defining note for me is what I've been lovingly calling the Guerlain funk. In the case of Mitsouko, it's a stale-flower-vase-water funk; vegetal, fuzzy and cool. It gives this fragrance a deep dark, murky green feel. This might sound unattractive, but it isn't. Combined with the dark gold sparkle of the peach, it transports me to a shadowy pond in a enchanted forest, where frogs just may transform into princes.

And by the time I used the last of my 2 ml sample I felt sad that I would now be without this fragrance, so I bought a full bottle.

I have the sneaking suspicion that I'll continue to like this more the more I wear it.

02nd November, 2016

Add your review of Mitsouko

Shop for Mitsouko products online

Shop for Mitsouko at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Mitsouko

Member images of Mitsouko

There are no member images of Mitsouko yet. Why not be the first?