Mitsouko (1919)

Average Rating: 4

Based on 963 ratings

Mitsouko Fragrance Notes

Mitsouko information

Mitsouko is a women's fragrance by Guerlain. The scent was launched in 1919 and the bottle was designed by Baccarat

Shop for Mitsouko products online

92ml EdT
    92ml EdT
    50ml EdP

Reviews of Mitsouko

Showing 1 to 6 of 171 reviews.

JackTwist's avatar

This is a love it or hate it scent for me and for a number of my friends.

There are days when its earthy, sharp cinnamon/carnation blast seems totally unique and intriguing and other days when I ask myself why I am enjoying smelling like I just rolled around in fresh loam. And I am one of those who can not detect peach in this at all.

What amazes me is that the strong carnation/clove note is not listed in the ingredients. What olfactory trick is being played here.

Top notes: Peach, Bergamot, Hesperides
    Middle notes: Lilac, Rose, Jasmine, Ylang
    Base notes: Vetiver, Amber, Oakmoss, Cinnamon, Patchouli, Cedarwood, Black Pepper, Ambergris

I tried very hard to like this classic, but ultimately have decided after using a full 100 ml bottle over 9 months that I will not be replacing it. Wanting to love it, but can't.

06 October, 2014

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Chypre

How, in the course of reviewing close to 800 fragrances, have I managed not to write about Mitsouko? To answer with a question, what more could I say about it that hasn’t been said already? Nobody needs to read more analysis of its structure, more rapturous praise, more speculation on gender-appropriateness, or more nit-picking over the various concentrations (I like the parfum) and reformulations (the latest is brighter, thinner, and more obviously fruity, but still recognizable). Mitsouko is a monument in the history of perfumery. You may or may not like it, but if you care about fragrance you should wear it at leas once.

19 June, 2014

comerio28's avatar

I tried this for the first time last Sunday. I liked it at first. It was earthy and fresh. Then it dried down to "little old lady" smell. It just didn't work for me. However, My elderly mother and Aunt liked it

24 May, 2014

Jona Jackson Lucas's avatar

I was a fun, no it is not correct: I was in love with Heritage, de Gueralin, amd indeed the parfum version was my signature. Nowdays, it seems that the eau de toilette has been reformulated, loosing its body, while eau de parfum, is missing.
    Since I am in love with Guerlain house, for imstamce eau du coq, eau de guerlain, etc. I come to test Mitsouko.
    Here you go: I am a man, amd now Mitsouko, the eau de parfum, is my new signature.
    A fantistc chypree, light but present, as intermal flame that show you the way.
    I do not care of marketing, to me fragrances are comimg without sex.
    This is a masterpice of perfumery.
    The utilization of peach in combination with mossy undertones is simply genial!

09 May, 2014

ClaireV's avatar

Ireland Ireland

The most complicated perfume I own. I am still learning to like or love Mitsy, but boy, it is taking time. To me, the opening is an almost poisonous cloud of dank, bitter green that reminds me of the fragrances that my parents' friends had on in the late seventies (when I was a very young child, ahem, cough cough), and brings me back to a picture I have of my Dad, with side-burns and his cringey squash outfit. I sprayed it on the box to begin with, and it was strong enough to give me a headache, you know the type that hums behind your eyes. And this is the recent EDP version, so I can't say it is the oak moss doing this.

I did not, and still do not sense any peach in this. In the far distance, I can sometimes (after four-five hours) get the thrum of a pan of some sour, inedible fruit being simmered in a toxic liquid, like formaldehyde. At this point, I get a whiff of cloves if I focus hard enough. The middle and dry down do have a sweeter tone as they go on, but this is not a sweet perfume per se. It is not a friendly perfume. I use it when I know I am going to be air kissing people I don't like at starchy events I have to attend because of my job. It gives me a perverse pleasure to go in for the kill, swing my hair into their noses and fill their olfactory senses with a cloud of toxic Mitsy swamp, forbidding and stern. I like watching them recoil a bit.

The only times I have ever gotten Mitsouko to be a little friendlier on me was one time a few weeks ago when I spritzed it on before going for a long, six hour walk through the city with my husband, young son, baby daughter and my mum. By the end of the day, the fragrance had taken on this salty, outdoorsy, herbal aspect that merged with the faint sweat on my skin. It was if both Mitsouko and I had finally learned to stop pacing edgily around each other and just chill out a bit. In brief, I am still learning to love this bomb. None of the Guerlains are an easy, straight off love for me, but I am having to work at this one just a little bit harder than the others in the Axis of Greatness (Shalimar and L'Heure Bleue).

But - respect to Mitsouko, seriously. It is a complicated, complex woman, and she keeps you on your toes. By no means a comfortable perfume, she sidles up behind up with a dainty little dagger pointed at your back. Better be careful with her.

06 May, 2014

tempest moon's avatar

Queen of Chypres

There isn't much more to add to what has been said. We know it's significance. It has it's place in history of perfume, it's been called the best of all time etc...

It's Oakmoss and Peach and rose and many other things, it's like a secluded garden in a forest full of flowers, with the smell of rain still in the air. Jacques Guerlain wanted to evoke with this "the smell of a woman's skin". I understand what he was trying to do.

I also don't see how anyone would not like this. It's floral, fruity, but so deep and earthly and rich and very hard to describe. I find it very unique. A wonderful mossy, beautiful fragrance, and a wonderful experience to smell. I really think everyone should try this. I don't think "old lady" or other labels. It really doesn't smell like much else and it was the inspiration (like Jicky and Shalimar), for not just many other classics, but also much of what we have today in the world of perfume.

I think this should be preserved forever as something really special. It has no gender, time or place. It should stand as something for all and everyone, and for all time. Real art in a bottle. Wonderful stuff!

01st May, 2014

Add your review of Mitsouko

Search for on eBay United States

RARE-Vtg MITSOUKO By Guerlain Eau De Toilette Perfume- 5 ml .17 fl.oz.Paris- New
    • 2 Bid(s)
    • Time Left:
    (Shipping from United States)
    MITSOUKO by Guerlain 3.1 oz EDT eau de toilette Women's Refill Spray Perfume NIB
    • Time Left: 5 days
    RARE Unopened LARGE Vintage Guerlain Mitsouko Baccarat Perfume w/ Original Box
    • Listing Type: Auction with Buy it Now
    • 6 Bid(s)
    • Time Left: 1 day
    GUERLAIN MITSOUKO WOMEN'S EAU DE TOILETTE 1.7 OZ / 50 ML VINTAGE NIB
    • Time Left: 19 days
    (Shipping from United States)
    Vintage Guerlain MITSOUKO extrait de parfum sealed 7.5ml (1/4 oz)
    • 12 Bid(s)