Liù (1929)

PackagingRaymond Guerlain
Parent CompanyLVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton
Parent Company at launchGuerlain

About Liù

305 said this fragrance was "an olfactory poem dedicateed to femininity.", and is named after the character in Puccini's opera Turandot. Reissued in 2005 for the renovated flagship Guerlain store on the Champs-Elysees. Reorchestrated by Jean Paul Guerlain.

Liù fragrance notes

Reviews of Liù

Liu by Guerlain is one of those golden, radiant, juicy and opulent floral bombs, rich in petals, powder, aldehydes and Mittel-European sumptuosity. Classic and sophisticated, soapy and distinguished - not a skanky "bitchy" chypre for sure, rather powdery, floral and aldehydic. It reminds me of both Chanel n.5 and Chanel Bois des Iles, although Liu smells somehow more dry, simple and bright. Beautiful for sure, nonetheless: full of grace and neoclassic opulence, perhaps a little "academic" as regards of the adherence to a sort of cliché, but undoubtedly pleasant, well made, crisp, cozy and refined. Bold sillage and long, perfect persistence. The perfect gift for any self-confident and elegant woman.

07th October, 2014
Wow, Liu is seriously beautiful. I know people say this is boring, or a copy of Chanel No. 5, but I have to say that I find this extremely enjoyable and sensual on its own terms. It combines the snowy, sharp aldehydes of Chanel No. 5 with the warm vanillic Guerlainade of the far dry down of Shalimar, and along the way also manages to reference the slightly dirty/Cussons Imperial Leather soap-y feel to Cuir de Russie. The Chanel-esque aldehydes add a sprinkle of starlight and lift to the heavy, dry, velvet base typical of Guerlain oldies. It is simply delightful and delicious. Mind you, since I own either full bottles or decants of the three perfumes I have just mentioned, I am unlikely to be putting this on my buy list. Still, to anyone who is a fan of the classic Chanels and the old school Guerlains, I think you would really savor this. Hearkens back to times when perfumes were put together with thought and care for both execution and raw materials. Sorry that this review is not terribly descriptive - I find it difficult, especially with my beginner's nose, to describe the older Chanels and Guerlains in an adequate way.
02nd June, 2014
Liu is definitely similar to Chanel #5 in that the aldehydes feature prominently, especially in the opening. However, Liu evolves into something much drier, woodier and less sweet making it a little more unisex. There's a slightly darker and more mysterious thing going on in Liu and I think it's the hint of oakmoss (which is not included in the list of notes) that I'm picking up on as the scent dries down. Liu lies very close to the skin. I wish it lasted longer and projected more, but it I still find it beautiful and one of the most underrated Guerlain scents.
20th May, 2014
demcav Show all reviews
Sparkle, followed by Warmth

Liu eau de parfum opens with bright, sparkling aldehydes and white florals -- yes, at this stage there is similarity to Chanel's No 5. Although the projection is never uncomfortably far-reaching, after about an hour the aldehydes settle and rose softly joins the white jasmine, as the edp becomes warmer and closer in its projection. Then, for the next several hours the warm Guerlinade accord continually emerges, in place of the fading aldehydes...the gears have shifted gradually but definitely, from the bright opening to vanilla and warm, woody notes. Thinking back to the opening, it's hard to believe that Liu makes such a seamless, chiaroscuro transition during its 6 - 8 hours of longevity on my skin.

The one request I have is that Guerlain release a parfum concentration as a current option. Liu is a classic from Guerlain's late-20s, its sheer opening, due to the aldehydes, is an indication of changes that occurred in fragrances during the '20s, following the release of Guerlain's richer Shalimar in the early-20s. Although the current eau de parfum is lovely enough, it would be wonderful to experience the concentration of Liu in which it was originally developed, as I do with Shalimar.

Pros: Lovely development
Cons: Please re-release the parfum!"

15th September, 2013
Boring one note powdery orris scent - unremarkable

I'm surprised that this is a Guerlain. I'm reminded of many of the Caron florals, very weak and timid and afraid to state who they are. This begins for me as a sharp aldehyde blast, eventually calming down to a non-descript floral powder, primarily of orris. I get no rose, no jasmine, in fact none of the nine ingredients, except the orris and the aldehydes.

Bergamot, Neroli, Jasmine, Provence Rose, Orris, Amber, Vanilla, Sandalwood, Aldehydes

Created in 1929 as an answer to Chanel No. 5 and reformulated in 2009.

Low rating due to its one note and lack of originality. Luca Turin called it "the dullest" of all of Guerlain's scents and I must agree.

Pros: Pleasant
Cons: Simple and light, no originality

27th May, 2013
My first whiff and I thought "Chanel No 5". Put some on my wrist and Chanel on the other, and there was very little difference. As I absolutely love Chanel No 5, needless to say I love this fragrance too.
04th September, 2012

Add your review of Liù

Shop for Liù products online

Search Amazon for Liù

Member images of Liù

There are no member images of Liù yet. Why not be the first?