Sous Le Vent (1933)
    by Guerlain

Average Rating: 4.5

Based on 115 ratings

Sous Le Vent information

Reissued in 2005 for the renovated flagship Guerlain store on the Champs-Elysees. Reorchestrated by Jean Paul Guerlain.

Shop for Sous Le Vent products online

Reviews of Sous Le Vent

Showing 1 to 6 of 35 reviews.

TheFashionBugs's avatar

Deep dark and rich. Wonderful. However, about to be discontinued so get your nose on it asap.

05 August, 2014

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Chypre

It’s Derby for girls! Well, maybe not exactly, but the opening sure is a dead ringer for Derby in its smoky, bittersweet, green leather chypre structure. Sous le Vent’s top notes include a magnificent sweet bergamot that’s lacking in Derby, and there is a more obvious floral component, but the two still present themselves as siblings. I’m left wondering whether Jean-Paul Guerlain consulted grandpa’s formula when he made Derby, or whether the resemblance is purely incidental.

Unexpectedly, the bergamot note expands rather than fades with age, contributing a bright accent to what otherwise might be a rather somber accord. Next to appear is a whopping note of civet, which serves at once to infuse the composition with a lascivious animal warmth and to associate Sous le Vent unmistakably with the tradition of Guerlain’s vintage perfumes, particularly Jicky, Shalimar, and Mitsouko. The current Sous le Vent was composed in 2005, and whether it follows the original formula or not, it certainly smells like something out of 1933.

The intensely animalic chypre accord persists for hours, growing ever more sweet, spicy, and balsamic, until the civet dissipates to reveal warm amber and oakmoss base notes. This drydown goes on forever on my skin, though sillage and projection are only moderate. I’d consider Sous le Vent equally appropriate for a man or a woman, assuming you’re comfortable with its raunchy animalic aspect. I think it’s a great scent, and regret that it’s so hard to come by.

03 July, 2014

Primrose's avatar

I tried the most recent version. I understand the vintage is the one worth having. Yes, it IS wonderful. It's like a sister to Guerlain's Derby.

I retried this, and found it was too fleeting to buy a bottle prior to its being discontinued. For that money, I'd rather have a bottle of Vol de Nuit, Shalimar or Jicky parfum.

My Derby will have a place in my collection.

13 June, 2014

rbaker's avatar

Lavender and tarragon are the opening notes, with a very attenuated citrus-bergamot-style add-on. The drydown is fresh and green without being grassy, with a smidgeon of sage before jasmine and then carnation emerge; the latter provides a beautiful centrepiece of the middle phase. Later I get a bit of iris, with wood, whiffs of amber and a light musk and minimal powderiness at the very end. Beautifully made and blended of ingredients of supreme quality. Adequate silage and longevity with eight hours of longevity. One of the great Guerlains.
    This review is of the vintage perfume.

26 March, 2014

rogalal's avatar

Meh. I wish I liked Sous Le Vent more (gotta love that bottle!), but it just does too many things that I don't really like for me to give it a thumbs up. It has those lemon-candy topnotes that often turn me away from old chypres, but paired up with a weird taragon note that's sort of doughy. There's a sweet butterscotchy amber buried in there, as well as a clear but quiet green chypre backbone. There's also that green note Guerlain likes (sweetpea?), and the whole thing has an oily waxy quality.

All in all, it's just strange to me. Waxy doughy lemon candy with background greens? Medicinal lemon cough drops drenched in oily Bearnaise sauce?

As many Guerlains as I enjoy, it's beloved but awkward perfumes like Sous le Vent that have kept me from turning into a rabid fanboy. Honestly, I agree that it's clever and theoretically well made, but just not anything I really want to wear.

23 March, 2014

farang's avatar

Thailand Thailand

Wonderful! Not only one of the best Guerlains I have tried, but one of my best fragrances overall.

To me this fragrance is timeless and genderless and sensual. It does not feel powdery nor with 'old style' elements that would nail it as a 1930s fragrance. Also, it has neither a feminine nor masculine feel to it. But, the mastery blend (including civet?) makes it a sensual scent for me - unlike some modern 'fresh' fragrances. It blends well with the skin chemistry to create a 'second skin'. It works excellent in the hot climate here and is long lasting on me. Spray rather generously, and it will last.

18 February, 2014