Shalimar (1925)

Average Rating: 4

Based on 1050 ratings

Shalimar Fragrance Notes

Shalimar information

Meaning 'Temple of Love' in Sanskrit, Shalimar is an oriental fragrance with notes of bergamot and vanilla.
    305 was inspired to create Shalimar by the story of Indian Emperor, Shah Jahan, who created a beautiful garden (called Shalimar) to

Shop for Shalimar products online

130ml Perfume
    90ml EdT
    75ml Cologne
    90ml EdP
    75ml Cologne
    Get a monthly supply
    Subscribe to Scentbird and receive a 30-day supply of the scent of your choice for $14.95/ month. (US only)
    Learn more

Reviews of Shalimar

Showing 1 to 6 of 205 reviews.

Fiumenero's avatar

I began wearing Shalimar after spending a lot of time around one of my friends who wore it every day. I thought she was so feminine and classy, and that's the way it makes me feel. I believe it is the vanilla and opoponax that got me addicted to it. I'm so glad that my husband also LOVES this perfume. To me, it is as classic as Chanel No. 5, which I'm actually not that fond of.

17th February, 2015

Casiquire's avatar

I'm going to assume the notes on this site are quite incomplete because I don't see anise, black pepper, or cinnamon listed and all three have a presence in this fragrance. The top is bergamot with pepper and anise, a bit too spicy for my taste but very well-blended leading straight into the heart of it which is slightly flowery, slightly powdery, slightly spicy and slightly creamy. This middle lasts quite a while and there's a hint of incense, smokiness, and leather throughout but as with any well-blended Guerlain you'll only catch some of these facets some of the time throughout the day. This is so well-done that I can't get enough of that scent despite the fact that I find it too spicy for me. The incense gets a bit stronger as the middle drags slowly along but it never really dominates on me. Coming to the end phase of the fragrance, many hours later, a touch of dryness or leatheriness remains but there's a lot of creaminess and a touch of spiciness acting as dominant notes. It almost smells like warm milk with a bit of cinnamon and just a touch of vanilla. I would eat something that smells like this. The Guerlinade is most certainly there too. Overall I love the smell of it and though a man could get away with wearing it in extreme moderation I don't think i'll be wearing it often just because of how uncomfortable I am smelling anise or pepper all day. It's no wonder this great fragrance is a classic of perfumery!

17th January, 2015

deadidol's avatar

I'm told that what I'm smelling here is a recent EdP.

Shalimar is usually instantly recognizable; a cavalcade of notes that somehow manage to synchronize perfectly. But versions of this scent tend to vary quite a bit, and in this particular one there’s a medicinal, metallic effect that cuts through the standard citrus to meet with a powdery vanilla, producing what I'd describe as redolent of effervescent candy. It reminds me a little bit of sherbet lemons—the same candied sweetness that walks a fine line between sour and sugary, only here the sour notes are rendered in a more industrial, disinfectant style.

What’s strange about this version, though, is that it doesn’t bear much of a connection to the Shalimar that I’m more familiar with—that civet-y, marzipan-style scent that’s top loaded with crisp citrus notes. This version is gaunt by comparison, and seems to veer more towards clinical sterility than confection. I don’t dislike it (I actually don’t like Shalimar very much, so this might even be a step-up for me), but I’m not entirely clear what its aiming for or how this version wandered so far away from the original fragrance.

28th December, 2014

theUntrainedNose's avatar

Old formulation: My mother had a sample in the late 80s/early 90s, and I remember loving it, the opulent spicy fragrance which I associated to winter and warm coats.

New formulation: I recently tested it at a department store. It does smell quite differently, still with the same inspiration, but the new version is a worthy fragrance in its own way. If I could, I would own both formulations.

The new formulation started with a combination that reminded me of the older Shalimar, spicy, warm, almost oily (in a good way), only not as round. Maybe a bit more angular and less oily.

As it dries, it becomes very different from the older one. The woods and sandal came to the front and in my opinion created a sour phase which previously did not exist. I quite appreciate this phase. Then amber and incense too, it becomes a little less sour and rounder, but still quite different from the older Shalimar, woodier, airier and not as oily. After a while the sour disappears and it is woods, amber, incense and a few spices in a rounded, warm, more "behaved" version of the older one.

Still a dense perfume, but different. As I said, I actually like both.

01st November, 2014

Oldbiddy's avatar

I own the EDC from Walmart. When i first sprayed it on, i smell a plastic shower curtain smell. This changed over time to a strong powdery orange creamcicle smell mixed with vanilla and maybe some sweaty keys out of someones sweaty pocket?!
    Gotta try it again later.

K, tried it again and now.....I really like it...no plastic shower curtain or sweaty pocket scent at all. Strange how ones nose picks up different things each time. One thing i did differently this time was shake the bottle a little before applying....don't know if that mattered or not? This time i pick up more citrusy smells....which i adore by the way, but is that bergamot in the mix making it smell kind of like an orangy lemon? Oh, and vanilla, which i like, but i really, really would like to be able to pick out the leather note...which right now i am having allot of trouble doing...i would wear something with mainly just that note if i could just smell it. So far, love it tho...powdery lemony orange vanilla...thats what i pick out.

22nd July, 2014 (Last Edited: 09th August, 2014)

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Oriental

I don’t have much to add to the discussion where this classic is concerned. All I care to do is draw attention to the brilliant treatment of opopanax. Much has been said regarding the unique quality of Guerlain’s vanilla, displayed most prominently in Shalimar and Jicky, but for me the enigmatic, spicy-sweet, resinous quality of opopanax is equally responsible for Shalimar’s allure. The interplay of vanilla and opopanax established in Shalimar’s base notes still resonates in compositions as recent as Diptyque’s Eau Lente and Nicolaï’s Maharadjah, but I have yet to experience an interpretation that trumps the original’s exquisite balance. I wonder if it’s even possible to fully comprehend the oriental fragrance genre without becoming familiar with Guerlain’s enduring paragon.

03rd July, 2014

• Time Left: 20 days
    1967 SHALIMAR SEALED VINTAGE EAU DE COLOGNE GUERLAIN FRANCE /BOX
    • 4 Bid(s)
    (Shipping from United States)
    Vintage GUERLAIN Fragrance Masterpieces Gift Set-Two Bee Bottles-Shalimar + More
    • 2 Bid(s)
    Shalimar by Guerlain Eau de Parfum Spray 3 oz
    • Listing Type: Buy it Now
    • Time Left: 14 days
    (Shipping from United States)
    GUERLAIN PARIS ~SHALIMAR EAU DE COLOGNE~75 ML~ 2.5 FL.OZ.
    • 2 Bid(s)