Shalimar (1925)
    by Guerlain

Shalimar Fragrance Notes

Shalimar information

Meaning 'Temple of Love' in Sanskrit, Shalimar is an oriental fragrance with notes of bergamot and vanilla.
    305 was inspired to create Shalimar by the story of Indian Emperor, Shah Jahan, who created a beautiful garden (called Shalimar) to

Shop for Shalimar products online

75ml Cologne
    90ml EdT
    50ml EdP

Reviews of Shalimar

Showing 1 to 6 of 198 reviews.

Colin Maillard's avatar
    Colin Maillard

Rich, somptuous, baroque chypre masterpiece. There's pretty everything in it, a comprehensive symphony or perfumery basics. Splendid talcum-powdered drydown, gentle as a lady asleep.

As many classic "feminine" fragrances, it is highly suitable and elegant for men as well.

04 April, 2014 (Last Edited: 19 April, 2014)

ladreed's avatar
    ladreed

Love the history.....love Guerlain....don't love or even like Shalimar. Instead of smelling sultry and seductive, I smell like an old ashtray. The smoky notes just overwhelm on me.

10th February, 2014

prosperonline's avatar
    prosperonline
    Brazil Brazil

As many others have already said, shalimar is a classic, perhaps the most classic of them all, and equaly a work od a genius perfumer. For me is smells more msculine than feminine, what is no surprise after Prada pour Homme Intense, Eau Sauvage Parfum, Burberry Brti for Men, Tom ford noir and many scents in the same oriental veil. Shalimar seems a blueprint for so many scents we all know and that's why I cannot perceive Shalimar as dated, old fashion and even less, praise God, old lady-grandma-ish. No need to go through the notes, it has been done very well indeed by some Basenoters. I just think everybody really keen on fragrances should try Shalimar. It is beautiful, it is an art form, it is perfection. I feel very fortunate to own an EDP bottle of this relic and yet so present, uptodate scent that is Guerlain Shalimar.

16 January, 2014

danieq's avatar
    danieq

Shalimar is a scent I'd been avoiding. Somehow, it had 'old lady' tones in my mind. However, I've been progressing in my journey, I've discarded the idea that a scent fits with a particular age group. Yes, some scents are classic and have been worn for many years by people and so you may know an older woman whose been wearing Shalimar for 5 decades, however, that doesn't define the character of the scent.

In the case of Shalimar, it's been around for so long because it is that good. I've been wearing the current EDT with great pleasure. It's a scent that envelopes me like a fur coat, in fact, a bit like fur that remains on the leather which has been sueded and worn soft. This scent is warm, familiar and full of smooth vanilla laden leather. I recently acquired a bottle of the vintage EdC and find that it is creamier still. It's got the typical feel of Guerlain, a powdery feel, but I don't feel like that is as strong as in some of the Guerlains, it is more creamy than powdery to my nose.

This is a wonderful scent for most any occasion, though I suspect it will perform less well in a hot and humid climiate. It is a powerful scent to my nose, not something that the wall-flower would want and I believe a man could easily wear it as well.

02 January, 2014

rogalal's avatar
    rogalal

I've tried to enjoy Shalimar for its smell. And its history. And its importance. And its benchmark status. But no. I'm afraid I think Shalimar smells gross. That's not to say it isn't important and possibly a great perfume. But I still think it smells gross.

Lately, I've been sampling the EDT, which is heavy on the baby powder and talc, fuzzy with lavender and a weird plasticky musk that smells like a diaper, as well as a realistic musk that smells like baby poo. And there's vanilla, too.

I prefer the EDT because it focuses on the powdery aspects, letting the poopy diaper fade into a powdery spiced vanilla, which is the smell for most of the day.

I've also tried the extrait, which highlights the poopy diaper musks and is just terrifying.

Oh well, I've given Shalimar MANY chances, and I get why people love it, but I just don't want to walk around smelling like a poopy diaper sprinkled with vanilla and cinnamon in a cloud of baby powder. Maybe I'm losing snob points, but I'm fine with that...

15 December, 2013

Captain's avatar
    Captain

It's a classic fragrance that is so complex, creamy and gorgeous, I just cannot get enough. The fly spray comments are ridiculous.

There's bergamot and citrus at first which dries down to a powdery vanilla and sexy leather. It's to die for I think I can safely say this is my signature, I've loved it since I was very young but it hasn't always been my favourite. It's taken time to fully appreciate this scent. Once you test other fragrances, nothing beats Shalimar. If you want gourmand you have vanilla, if you love freshness you have the citrus, if you like powder there's the iris. If you want to be a bit dirty, there's the leather. t's full rounded perfection. <3

06 December, 2013 (Last Edited: 17 December, 2013)

Add your review of Shalimar