Chamade (1969)

PackagingRaymond Guerlain
Parent CompanyLVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton
Parent Company at launchGuerlain

About Chamade

Created to symbolise a complete surrender to love. The bottle features a heart which has flipped upside-down.

Chamade fragrance notes

Reviews of Chamade

If I were a real floral-lover, this is the perfume I would wear. The vintage version of Chamade feels as if you are plunging your entire face into a pollen-filled bouquet of fresh, just-picked flowers. Heady, beautiful, and utter springtime lushness ensues. The ylang ylang is what makes this as glowingly golden and delicious as it is, and I find myself breathing the scent in over and over as if it were a tonic or drug of some sort. The whole thing is almost too radiant for me, and because I really don't wear rich floral scents, I don't own this, but I do adore smelling it from time to time.

Glorious is the descriptor that best fits this fragrance.
09th October, 2017
Kotori Show all reviews
Current version:

Really lovely. A golden, opaque aldeydic floral in the style of No. 5 or Liu with a good dose of ylang ylang and a classic persona. I feel this might be an ancestor of modern fragrances like J'Adore. When I smelled this I imagined times when everyone smelled this good. It wasn't one that I imminently need to have, but I enjoyed its polish nonetheless.
09th October, 2017
This is for the vintage extrait:

Such a lovely, fleeting experience.

A veil of jasmine, galbanum, hyacinth, and woods. I never got any vanilla, but perhaps my particular bottle was "off"?

The time was all too short for such a pretty scent.
28th January, 2017
Guerlain Chamade is Grand History of perfumery. Lucky to have recently found out and picked up, somewhere inside my cousin's house (precisely down its old dusty canteen), an intact old mignon bottle for collectors. Chamade is a massive old-school (kind of Grasse's old "botteghe profumiere" ideally conjuring) aldehydic/talky/floral/herbal chypre (not so distant in structure and vibe from L'Heure Bleue, Habanita, Cabochard and several Caron's a la Fleurs de Rocaille, Bellodgia or Farnesiana). The composition is quite complex but shortly evolving on my skin, I mean I get soon (after just 20 minutes) the final accomplished aroma which is anyway a complex orchestra of harmonious nuances waving around a central thick backbone (a sort of talky/neutral/soapy/oraganic/aldehydic warm exhalation). There are surely herbal/aldehydic/animalic attributes (yes kind of somewhat "masculine" a la Oleg Cassini, Rochas Moustache, Aramis Devin, Monsieur Rochas, Character and many others), all over supported by hints of spices (mostly clove under my nose), florals, woods and balsams. The whole composition effectively conjugates a more wild kind of organic-talky (apparently abstract) classically chypre vibe with a classier, more subtle/edgy, spicy-floral sort of timeless (namely yet contemporary) sophistication. The boisterous opening unfolds by soon a cocktail of aromatic herbs, balsamic elements, bergamot, aldehydes, animalics and talky floral notes (mostly iris, jasmine and whichever hellish sort of white honeyed floral exemplar). What actually "pushes out" the juice as an utterly powerful one is surely a misty-mossy galbanum's presence (kind of darkly boise and humid) joined to cloves, dusty-woodsy resins and may be pepper, overall connected to the main warmly organic/aldehydic amalgam. There is a notable hint of earthiness throughout under my inquiring (even profane) nose. Gradually along the way animalics, pungent spices, galbanum and herbal notes recede while a gentler connection of balsams and ylang-ylang soothens the "recipe" providing a faint deflection towards a softer more feminine side (in the runaway of a fragrance otherwise unisex or even masculine in perception in its introducing vest). The fully disclosed dry down is properly a regal feminine floral-chypre with a dominant ylang-ylang and a soapy-talky brighter radiancy (a multy toned talky kaleidoscope waving from the dark-green to an immaculate final dazzling white, sliding little by little across the grey and the heaven). An aristocratic piece of very historic perfumery.
01st January, 2017 (last edited: 05th January, 2017)
Vintage Version:
This is a great fragrance especially the first few hours. It smells like valley of flowers - a valley that is a bit far away from your wooden cabin and as you wake up in the morning the smell wafts in bringing with it a promise of a new day.
Soft and radiant smell of flower and amber. Muted galbanum and nothing loud.
The drydown (6hr later) is disappointing. It veers off the theme and I smell inky incensy notes along with gurelain's signature powdery accord.
27th May, 2016
This is a review for the EDP. My bottle is from 2015 and it smells beautiful. I don't know what the original Chamade was like, but I am very pleased with the current rose-rich version; my husband instantly detected its smooth lilac note, as well. This is a warm, well blended, sophisticated floral. Vintage Chamade (with real sandalwood) must smell divine, but the reformulated EDP is very, very nice.
26th February, 2016

Add your review of Chamade

Shop for Chamade products online

Shop for Chamade at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Chamade