Nahéma (1979)

PerfumerJean Paul Guerlain
Parent CompanyLVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton
Parent Company at launchGuerlain

About Nahéma

Nahéma is a feminine perfume by Guerlain. The scent was launched in 1979 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Jean Paul Guerlain

Reviews of Nahéma

Nahema begins from the start with a nice rose note and some green notes. A few minutes later it becomes sweeter because of the Lili of the Valley and y-lang y-lang which is one of my favourite notes in perfumery. The initial rose changes to a different one which is stronger, more feminine and very qualitative. This rose remained for about 2-4 hours on my skin.
Then suddenly i have sensed vanilla and started looking around me to identify the person wearing it but i was alone. I thought maybe there was somebody from my female co-workers who left a trace in the air and it was smelling terrific. It took me a few more minutes to realise that it was me smelling like that! Gorgeous stage and an incredible turn in the evolution from the rose stage.
It lasted about 5 hours on me, the sillage was pretty weak.

For a woman that would be a fantastic option. For men it can be tricky because of the completely lack of masculinity. In any case a very nice surprise and a thumbs up from me.

7,5-8/10
29th May, 2017
This for 2001 PdT.
Rich, dry and slightly sour red velvet rose, underpinned by vegetal greens. The rose is somehow multidimensional; I feel very much as though I'm experiencing the fragrance from a number of different angles. The heart is my favourite phase (today, at least). Softer than the dry, green opening, it's fruity-spicy with peach, incense and a very soft powderiness. The sweetness holds fast for the classic Guerlain sandalwood and vanilla base, still draped in a wisp of rose. Longevity, sillage and projection are all strong.
The aldehydes in the opening make Nahema a large fragrance - she certainly makes her presence known. Like many of the classic Guerlains, she may be too big for many modern noses. Personally, I love Nahema, but like Shalimar, I really have to be in the right mood for the huge opening. I'm interested in trying the modern formulation, with its honey notes, for a more wearable route to that lovely Guerlain heart and base.
02nd April, 2017 (last edited: 19th April, 2017)
rbaker Show all reviews
The EdP's fruity opening with dried plum and brightended up by bergamot - in its simplicity a surprisingly nice effect. The fruity effect is soon transformed be the ascendancy of the rose, which is dominating the drydown. At times other floral vibes appear, mainly jasmine and lily-of-the-valley, and they mingle with the rose very pleasantly. So whilst the rose as such is not particularly remarkable, the mix works well on my skin.

Later on a balsamic note paired with a restrained vanilla develops, with a woodsy undertone that is enhanced by a styrax note that is quite light and misses the waxy component that is often present otherwise, but it contributes to the vanilla displaying a slightly sweet-spicy background vibe. This woody impression still has hints of the rose admixed right until close to the end.

The performance is characterised by moderate sillage, adequate projection and six hours of longevity.

Whilst the ingredients as such are not brilliant, they are well blended and result in an interesting overall impression. 3.25/5.
20th February, 2016
jujy54 Show all reviews
Got a micro-mini on ebay, since I heard it is being phased out. I swear this is a variation on Guet-Apens/Attrape-Coeur, which I know by way of an extravagant 3 ml decant from a dear fragrance friend, the difference being not ingredients but proportion. Although Mitsouko's charms are lost on me, clearly she is the great-aunt to these gamy/rosy/plummy beings which I adore, tho not enough to pay a ransom that is something more than the price I paid for my first car. Agree with roshanara that there is a Turkish delight vibe here.
10th January, 2016
I love, love, love this scent. It is supercharged rose, with a strong Turkish Delight note. I have gone through bottles of this over the last few years, as it is one I turn to as being perfect for most days of the year. Absolutely my favourite rose "juice".
I also love the way that Guerlain produce refills for the classy and elegant atomizer. Super chic in every way.
14th September, 2015
I first made a point of searching out Nahema in the early 90s, after reading an interview of Shirley Manson (from the band Garbage) in which she said Nahema was the ONLY perfume as far as she was concerned.

At the time I remember thinking that it was too loud and too full of aldehydes for me personally. And searching for a rose I can wear well - that doesn't go too shrill - I wanted to see what I thought of it all these years later.

It's definitely in the Chamade camp, more green and vegetal and hyacinth and juicy and tart than the musty/mossy vanilla powder of the earlier Guerlains. This time I had been assuming "bombshell", so I've been impressed by its tenderness and innocence, though when you first spray it, it's got such presence that it sure can make you feel a bit high!

Certainly Nahema is beautifully done and even transcendent, though I find that I only enjoy wearing it in very cold weather. When it's warm out, even a tiny spray feels too high pitched and overwhelming and makes me a little ill. In cold weather it unfolds more slowly and I can enjoy its evolution and not be as bludgeoned by the awe-inspiring power of the peachy-rose accord. Because I always do feel a bit bludgeoned when I wear Nahema, and am still getting comfortable with her.

02nd September, 2015 (last edited: 15th December, 2015)

Add your review of Nahéma

Shop for Nahéma products online

Shop for Nahéma at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Nahéma