Samsara (1989)

PackagingRobert Granai
Parent CompanyLVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton
Parent Company at launchGuerlain

About Samsara

Samsara is a Sanskrit word signifying "the cycle of birth and rebirth", and is the path to nirvana. The scent is a woody-floral oriental.

Samsara fragrance notes

Reviews of Samsara

I'm totally gutted that I just don't 'get' this fragrance at all.

I loved Shalimar from first try. Orientals are my favourite group and Guerlain is my favourite house. But I just don't understand the appeal of Samsara.

Everyone smells things differently, and I'm almost positive it's just me. So I'll not give it a 'Neutral' rating.

I'll keep wearing it and trying it until I either get it, run out or both.

Try before you buy.
23rd June, 2017
My mother always had a bottle of this. Now I know why. It is spectacular! This one slipped by my radar. I probably plucked this from mom's dresser, trying it on, but never really noticed its charm. More than likely I was already wearing some other fragrance so that this, was co-mingling with my scent.

Samsara to me, is an oriental with something else veiled within its notes. I get a waft of a creamy-wood vibe, whenever I move. Perhaps it is the blend of Tonka, orris, and musk...

I believe I must always have this perfume in my collection. If for no other reason, to honor my dearly departed mother.
18th May, 2017
A powerhouse of a classic perfume from Guerlain!

Samsara EdT is a shimmering jasmine experience from start to end (and this scent lasts a long time!). Sandalwood blends seamlessly with the rich floral of the ylang ylang. Over time, the base comes subtly into play, adding wisps of sweetness that doesn't invade the overall experience.

I've purchased a few bottle for my beloved mother over the decades, and she has always worn it with delight, receiving compliments. Samsara is a legendary perfume that I will never tire of smelling as a man. ;^>
03rd March, 2017
rbaker Show all reviews
The Vintage Parfum:
The ylang-ylang hit me from the start, but soon the jasmine clamours for my attention, and it is this jasmine that comes to the fore. It forms the core note for most of the duration of this development.

The drydown adds a lovely sandalwood, which blends in very smoothly with the jasmine. A white floral undertone adds discrete sweetness, which later is affirmed by the addition of iris and whiffs of violet.

The base is a bit sweeter still, owing to a very soft tonka being added in, but the whole is never thick or cloying in my skin.

I get moderate sillage, very good projection and nine hours of longevity, but for the last four hours it is very close to my skin.

A gorgeous spring scent of sublime beauty, exuding elegance and refinement, but a touch too linear at times. It is crafted of natural ingredients of the highest quality. 3.75/5.
14th November, 2016
Stardate 20161102:

Sandalwood, Ylang and Jasmine.
All versions are good. Older is better as it has real Mysore but new one will do too.
Everyone should have this.

Forget the fragrance wheel. This is the real oriental.

03rd November, 2016
This is a review of the current EDP, which I quite like. I am nearing the bottom of my 1991 EDT bottle (so sad!), and decided to order a new version for comparison purposes - today's EDP is very reasonably priced, so it wasn't a huge risk. And it was a good decision, because it's lovely.

It isn't fair to essay a direct comparison between vintge EDT and current EDP (not exactly apples and oranges, maybe Winesap vs. Red Delicious?), but I can at least report that Samsara's DNA is intact. The EDP is still sandalwood and spice, sensuous and enveloping. Longevity is a few hours less than the vintage EDT, but still respectable - and the drydown is lovely.
20th August, 2016 (last edited: 21st August, 2016)

Add your review of Samsara

Shop for Samsara products online

Shop for Samsara at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Samsara

Member images of Samsara

There are no member images of Samsara yet. Why not be the first?