Silences (1978)

PerfumerYves Tanguy
Parent CompanySarbec
Parent Company at launchMartell

About Silences

Silences is a feminine perfume by Jacomo. The scent was launched in 1978 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Yves Tanguy

Silences fragrance notes

Reviews of Silences

This evergreen chypre adds a great frisson to formal attire; a man's formal attire that is...

And because this style is so completely out of date, who will know if you dare to wear Silences that you're actually 'breaking the rules'?

****
20th October, 2017
I like this, especially in the mid. To me, it's somewhat similar to Piguet Bandit, and it doesn't smell green to me. I would call it dark gray. It opens with the gravitas I associate with releases from around its time, 1978. The flowers are only playing a minor, supporting role; only sometimes peaking through.

The listed base notes of moss, cedar wood, sandalwood, and musk are believable, but there's something surprisingly dark in the versions used here.

The moments during the mid when the sweet florals escape from the dark moss are wonderful. The predominant smell of an impenetrable wall of dark, woody moss is also nice, although as it develops into the base, which lasts all day, it can feel drab in the projection, although still fairly interesting on the skin.
02nd July, 2017 (last edited: 03rd July, 2017)
This smells bitter green, on me. It is very pungent for the first hour revealing very little floral nuances. I owned this scent in the late 80's I do not remember it being this sharp! After wearing a few hours I finally detect some rose and cedar, and it does mellow out quite a bit. In six hours time, a faint dance of jasmine and musk join the foray. I can see why this is discontinued. In comparison to today's fragrances this lacks character.
23rd May, 2017
I recently blind-bought an unused 5ml vintage Parfum de Toilette (look for the grey box, the name in embossed script on the front), based solely on online reviews and my on-going love affair with bracing green scents, and I have to say, this stuff does not disappoint if what you want to smell is the venerable trio of galbanum, hyacinth, and jasmine tuned to 11 and beyond.

To a point I understand comparisons with No. 19 (but to my nose it has way more in common with Givenchy III), but Silences only borrows 19's notes, it doesn't duplicate its structure or its feel——some of the same means but in service of totally different ends.

To me, No. 19 is formal and contained, an icy blond in a Mugler suit negotiating her way through corporate boardrooms, with just a hint of what she'd do in the bedroom. Silences is more Earth Mother, a once closely tended garden, now allowed to ramble and do its own thing, after a good spring shower, an olfactory amalgamation of crisp stems, verdant soil, and acrid blossoms.

Really gorgeous stuff, and nothing being put out today compares.
30th March, 2016
Salutation.

SILENCES evokes a timeless era of femininity.it created for a classic free spirit with an irresistible attitude.the scent provides an intriguing,innovative dual impression.this unique dual-accord structure makes SILENCES a true innovation fragrance design in 70 as this is a high quality fragrance classic in a great price.it has a hint of class,elegance and sexiness. Green, Fresh,Woody,Elegant,Herbaceous,Soapy,Classy, Versatile and Unforgettable.

A crystalline rose with delicate jasmine and powdery iris accents lights up with refreshing and green notes on a vibrant woody dry down.these are a wonderful combination of scents that lifts your spirits without smelling cheap or too young.the fragrance is a perfect illustration of classic femininity.the perfume is perfect for any occasion and any time of year too.if you are looking for a real classic perfume full of high-quality natural ingredients,you are exactly at the right place.

Sillage?Nice.

Longevity?Good on my skin.

7.25/10
27th June, 2015
jujy54 Show all reviews
I do get the bitter note Barbara Herman mentions in "Scent and Subversion", and it reminds me of celery. It is a bitter, and maybe more abstracted green floral than my go-to green, the long discontinued Weil de Weil. There is a stillness to it the befits its name.

Silences was just announced as discontinued. Tell me, are there any assertive, unsweet greens left?
04th June, 2015

Add your review of Silences

Shop for Silences products online

Shop for Silences at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Silences