Bal à Versailles (1962)
    by Jean Desprez

Average Rating: 4

Based on 285 ratings

Bal à Versailles information

Bal à Versailles is a women's fragrance by Jean Desprez. The scent was launched in 1962

Shop for Bal à Versailles products online

Reviews of Bal à Versailles

Showing 1 to 6 of 76 reviews.

Colin Maillard's avatar

Bal à Versailles is a marvelous, iconic and perhaps a little underrated chypre rich in civet and grace, a dirty Kouros wrapped into the warm skin of a lady scented with Shalimar – or, except for the leather, the naughty Habanita ready for her début in the high society. Benzoin, vanilla, oak moss, civet, flowers, fruity notes, leather, iris, a slight aldehydic accord, musk... what completely amazes me is that Bal à Versailles is surely skanky and carnally dirty, but there is also this irresistible sense of utter, golden, velvety refinement and elegance, in a really radiant, powdery way, like if you can almost feel the silky scented powder on the dresses of the ladies dancing. Perhaps it is just about that: the smell of dancers in a Belle Epoque ambiance, with all their scents, but also their passions and dirty secrets. As minutes pass - as the ball goes on, one might say... - Bal à Versailles gets increasingly darker and dirtier, with the civet note emerging in its sweaty, irresistibly "urinous" personality, always perfectly blending and hiding in a white fog of talcum and warm floral gracefulness. Great persistence, great scent, great everything.

04 October, 2014

JackTwist's avatar

On me this is a rather heavy oriental, dark and serious. Not exactly unpleasant, but not outstanding in any way.

Top notes: Bergamot, Lemon, Mandarin, Neroli
    Middle notes: Rose de Mai, Muguet, Lilac, Orris, Jasmine, Ylang Ylang
    Base notes: Cedarwood, Sandalwood, Vanilla, Benzoin, Melilot (Clover), Tolu Balsam

Barbara Herman finds it has a powdery sweetness, reminiscent of beeswax. This effect does not occur to my nose on my skin.

It's not at all bad, it's just not that outstanding.

11th July, 2014

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Oriental

Add another voice to the chorus in praise of Bal à Versailles! As a traditional oriental fragrance, Bal à Versailles’s kinship with Shalimar is obvious: there is a similarly smoky, dark vanilla and there is plenty of opoponax. However, there is also more indolic orange blossom more obvious civet, more animalic musks, and perhaps even a suggestion of leather. (Labdanum, perhaps? Yes – labdanum and opoponax in a leathery accord, I think.) Bal à Versailles is perfectly judged in terms of balance: floral vs. spicy-vanillic vs. animalic; and in terms of strength. Unlike some orientals of the ‘80s, say Opium, Samsara, or KL, Bal à Versailles never shouts. It does last, however. And last. A full day and a couple of showers are not enough to banish Bal àVersailles’s voluptuous labdanum, musk, and vanilla drydown.

Bal à Versailles is a dark, glamorous, and evocative scent. It is not so much “old-fashioned” or “old-school” as timeless: though released in the early 1960s, it could have been composed decades earlier. A beautifully crafted scent that’s completely deserving of is classic status. As a man, I find it easy to wear, provided I apply it lightly. It strikes me as little more inherently “feminine” than orientals in the mold of Héritage, Habit Rouge, or Jaïpur Homme.

09 June, 2014

Mona Visa's avatar

The first time I met Bal a Versailles I was 16. On my way through Nordstroms I saw it sitting on the perfume counter, in the middle of the shiny modern 80's bottles, looking very out of place. I'd never even heard of BaV before but I rather recklessly spritzed it on both wrists (hey, I was young, lol).

The next 20 minutes were miserable. BaV was completely out of left field. I wanted to wash it off! But then something changed and it became quietly perfect. At the end of the day it was so warm and delicious and that I knew I had to try it again.

Every time I wear this fragrance, I am still uneasy for the first 20 minutes. During that time I am 90% certain that I've made a mistake. But after that, it is simply one of the best fragrances that humanity has ever managed to formulate. It is warm and deep and delicious and sensual.

I've read that there are over 300 different ingredients in this masterpiece. I can't smell them all, but I always feel like I'm wearing a work of art when I put it on.

It's not a fragrance for everyone. It's a fragrance that lasts, but it doesn't zing across the room like some perfumes do. It has very rounded, full, soft edges.

This is not a fragrance for a girl. This is a fragrance for a woman.

If you're tired of the soapy, piercing, headache-inducing "clean clean clean" laundry perfumes, if you'd rather smell like a goddess than a lollipop, if you'd like to make people nervous at church, give Bal a Versailles a try. :)

25 February, 2014

ScentFan's avatar

To me, this is the incredibly beautiful definition of perfume. I own the vintage EdC, the vintage parfum and await the arrival of the vintage EdT so I can wear all three at once as its designer, Jean Desprez, intended -- never mind the inflated prices paid. Nor will I go into the many notes. They exist in other perfumes. BaV transcends its components. This is a powerhouse perfume for a self-confident person seeking luxury for the nose.

p.s. I bought Coty's Laimant and tested it against BaV. They're similar, but not the same. The jasmine & orange blossom are much stronger in BaV and it is more complex and rich.

10th January, 2014

dlane1953's avatar

Bigger than life and as sexy as the come

Here we have a fine example of "over-the-top" perfumery at its best. I don't mean that in a derogatory way--in fact I adore this fragrance and am searching for a bottle to add to my collection, for I know the sample I own won't last long. The vintage EDT is, as one reviewer described it, "Rococo" in effect; big, complex, a veritable cornucopia of notes that spell out "sexy" in large, bold letters for all to see. No, don't wear this for running around town, catching up with errands; the reaction from the male sex is pronounced. This is meant for special moments. Seduction. Because there is so much going on in this fragrance, teasing out individual notes is difficult. The animalic notes appeared within moments of application, surrounded by sweet florals and juicy citrus fruit. The opening might be a bit much for some noses, but be patient because once the fragrance settles in, it's lovely and becomes deeply resinous and woody. The civit is pronounced. If you love the perfume "Shocking", I'm sure you'll love this as well. Sillage is BIG, longevity excellent. I could still pick up the scent 12 hours after application. A classic in its own right, one that everyone should at least try before assuming it's "just a skanky civit".

Pros: Warm, spicy, animalic, heavy florals, great longevity and sillage.
    Cons: Might be too big and bold for some tastes."

20th September, 2013

• 1 Bid(s)
    • Time Left:
    HIGHEST BID
    (Shipping from United States)
    BAL A VERSAILLES Jean Desprez .14 oz mini splash perfume Womens NEW 4 ml VINTAGE
    • Time Left: 28 days
    (Shipping from United States)
    Bal a Versailles by Jean Desprez 1 FL OZ Eau De Cologne Atomizer in Box-90% Full
    Large Vintage 4.5 4-1/2 Oz Jean Desprez Bal a Versailles Parfum de Toilette
    BAL A VERSAILLES JEAN DESPREZ 1.7 OZ / 50 ML NIB EDT SPRAY FOR WOMEN
    • Listing Type: eBay Store
    • Time Left: 21 days
    (Shipping from United States)
    Eau De Toilette Bal a Versailles Jean Desprez Paris 100 ML Made In France Opened
    • Listing Type: Auction with Buy it Now