Bal Versailles (1962)

HouseJean Desprez
Parent CompanyPerfumania Holdings > Parlux
Parent Company at launchJean Desprez

About Bal Versailles

Bal Versailles is a feminine perfume by Jean Desprez. The scent was launched in 1962

Reviews of Bal Versailles

I purchased the current eau de toilette, and my expectations were reflective of the majority of the reviews. There was no funk, animalic, or sensual aspect to this fragrance. It smells like Talcum Powder and reminded me of the Johnsons and Johnsons powder aroma in the locker room after the game. (without the funk) I am disappointed. Powder is not a good scent for an older dude.
14th August, 2018
I own a 70's bath oil, that I dab as one would extrait and it is superb, great evolution, the flowers, the powder, resins, vanilla, leather all is of great quality, deep and airy a the same time, shimmering , it lasts forever and even gets more intense in the first few hours. But what anchors, enhances and sublimes is the civet.
Eye rollingly scentual with sex
29th June, 2018
This is for the current EdP. For me this is mostly old-school powder and florals with something skanky and animalic lurking in the base. The sweet, powdery start reminds me a bit of L'Heure Bleue, then the rose and iris show up with a bit of that face-powder/vintage lipstick vibe, but with a bit of tropical, indolic floral thrown in. Some aspect of the flowers almost seem dried to me - shades of potpourri, but with a rose-creamy scent underneath, along with that animalic musk. As it dries down, the powder fades and it settles into a rose-floral, sandlewood, musk that I quite enjoy, but not enough to deal with all the powder and potpourri up top.
15th June, 2018
I get floral for about 10 minutes, then animals for another 20, and then it's gone. Perhaps my sample was old (got it at a street fair) and therefore no longer very strong. This is nice, but doesn't last long enough for me to consider purchasing.
15th January, 2017
Sweet, powdery, floral, animalic (civet, I gather), I'm a big fan of this style. I'm trying this from a sample. The closest I have to this in my collection is vintage Habit Rouge Eau de Cologne, just from the feel of assured, light sweetness, backed up with an animalic component; I think they both use vanilla. This one has a stronger animalic contribution, the more the merrier to my nose.
14th October, 2016 (last edited: 16th October, 2016)
It's not very remarkable for me. It smells good, like resin. It's musky, but not overpowering. It's just a little sweet on the air. Honestly I like it better in the air than on my skin. I would wear this but not be overwhelmed by it. It's just not me.
14th July, 2016

Add your review of Bal Versailles

Shop for Bal Versailles products online

Oops! Unable to talk to eBay. Let us know if this problem persists

Member images of Bal Versailles

Perfumes launched in the same year as Bal Versailles (1962)