Amour Amour (1925)

PackagingLouis Sue
Parent CompanyShaneel Enterprises Ltd > Designer Parfums
Parent Company at launchJean Patou

About Amour Amour

Amour Amour is a feminine perfume by Jean Patou. The scent was launched in 1925 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Henri Alméras. The bottle was designed by Louis Sue

Reviews of Amour Amour

Amour Amour was created as part of a trilogy of perfumes dedicated to the progress of love, as everyone knows, but even when taken on its own, Amour Amour tells a complicated story, one that I feel I am just beginning to understand. I have the parfum, probably dating to the 1960-70’s. Amour Amour was discontinued in 1974 and briefly reissued in 1984, but I have not tested that later version.

Amour Amour’s note list is a veritable cornucopia, but lists cannot convey the true personality of a perfume, and Amour Amour is a luxurious and romantic bouquet. I do not perceive any hesperidic sourness, herbs, or leafiness as Amour Amour unfolds on the skin, just plush, dewy flowers, with ylang ylang, violet, and rose most evident to me, along with some good orris. I’ve compared Amour Amour side by side to other vintage floral compositions, all in parfum formulations, and I was surprised to see how closely Amour Amour resembled Francois Coty’s Paris (1923), launched two years earlier. It's also very clear that Almeras reused certain floral materials from Amour Amour when he constructed Joy for Patou five years later. The resplendent rose is the same, but Joy parfum is a much more formal and focused composition than Amour Amour, with a potent animalic base that Amour Amour lacks, although there is a subtle warm muskiness in Amour Amour that supports the floral notes and adds depth. Heliotrope or violets, along with a delicious touch of sweetness but not, thank heavens, a realistic strawberry note, make Amour Amour feel more youthful and, it must be said, more joyful than Joy. Wearing Amour Amour feels like a simple pleasure, but this is a carefully calibrated, masterful composition.
13th December, 2017
Stardate 20170916:

The Patou at its best. Or almost.
Rose, Jasmine and some other florals. Sweetness of amber\honey.
Nahema got its rose idea from Amour Amour.
Wish I could add more - a good old school floral.
16th September, 2017
I was fortunate to be gifted this by my grandmother many years ago (1983)after taking a dab when seeing she had a new bottle of perfume on her tray...At first I thought "no, this smells "too much for me & odd!" I had to leave to get somewhere on time, kissed her goodbye & by the time I started driving I smelled gorgeous!The whole car smelled gorgeous! Those initial heavy strange notes I just could not make out, left or combined with mingling scents of jasmine & violet which stood out...Then rose came in and seemed to form the quartet!The scents coming from me was not at all synthetic!It was natures beauty at it's best!
Now, this was just from two very small dabs behind each ear!!I do not know what else I was smelling, but it was stunning!
When I got home that night I called to tell grandmother about that new perfume she had just bought! I found out for 5 dollars at Marshals!I tried to find another bottle there, but none left...
I visited my grandmother again, going from hugging her to her newest bottle of fragrance, so insisted she would get herself another bottle of Youth Dew, which she preferred daily anyway... and I could have this AMour Amour...This was the bottle in which the words amour amour was put on top of each other.From a distance looks like a design instead of words(to me anyway!) on a blue label.with a screw on cap...
I hoarded this bottle, using it only on dates with the man who turned out to be my husband! He loved my scent and told me how he smelled me even after I was gone!
I let it go, after relishing that last drop...I stuck with Estee' for many years, even during those special days of using Amour Amour onlt though ,for 'special nights'...
I could not tell you what other notes were in that bottle, but
I will never forget the confidence...the sensual, happy & special way it could make me feel...
When I went to look for it again after 1984, I was told the new ma collection had it, but was not the same formulation & never tried the new formula...Someone here on basenotes says it stayed the same, when in the Ma collection...I must admit I am sorry I didn't try it during that time AA was included in the Ma collection!
BTW I am a natural blond and hear this was for blonds...Well , it worked beautifully for me! Loved it and would love to have it again, but is pricey today and one never knows how well something was cared for when buying from Ebay! I heard Caron makes a perfume very similar...I would appreciate any input on anything similar, by anyone who ends up reading this! Thanks! Also, Moments supreme! anything similar on that one or a sample from anyone who has Moment supreme?...I feel a bit cheated I didn't get to try that one while newer and fresh!!
Also, the longevity of Amour Amour was until the next day...silage moderate plus...
15th May, 2017
I have seen Amour Amour described many times as the forerunner to Joy; containing the same rose notes, but without the jasmine and champaca. This, however, definitely does not mean it is a simple rose soliflore. Rather, it is a complex mixture of rose, subtle aldehyde, spice and green notes - actually too complex for me to even know where to start describing the individual notes.

The original and Ma Collection versions of Amour Amour smelled identical. As yet I have not tried the new Collection Heritage version (named Deux Amours - presumably due to Cacharel's cherry soda-ish concoction, Amor Amor).

Sadly, Amour Amour is the only original Patou perfume that I really did not like - try as I might, it just did not work on me; I remember it as a rather headache inducing fragrance. My dislike was only increased when my 30ml Ma Collection bottle of Parfum decided to empty itself in my suitcase when I took it on holiday in 1994! Even so, I'd like to try Deux Amours, in the hope it works better on my skin now.
06th October, 2016 (last edited: 11th October, 2016)
Pale creamy aldehydic with a pink strawberry floral. This is the blonde one of Patou's trio of hair colour perfumes and it does, occasionally give you the idea of blonde hair. This is mainly down to there being some costus in the formula - I suspect. Besides that, technically it's a rip off of No.5. Not bad though.

***
04th June, 2015 (last edited: 09th October, 2018)
I was given a bottle of this in the mid-70s. Heady stuff, full of violets. Surpassed in my book only by Joy itself.
09th September, 2012

Add your review of Amour Amour

Shop for Amour Amour products online

JEAN PATOU AMOUR AMOUR 50ML/1.7OZ EAU DE TOILETTE, RARE VINTAGE, DISCONTINUED!!

End Date: Wednesday Oct-24-2018 10:29:09 PDT

1940's VTG JEAN PATOU "AMOUR AMOUR" PERFUME BOTTLE/FLACON WITH ETCHED STOPPER

End Date: Wednesday Oct-31-2018 6:47:13 PDT
Buy It Now for only: $40.00
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

Vintage JEAN PATOU PERFUME, AMOUR AMOUR, LASSO & MOMENT SUPREME Boxed Sealed Set

End Date: Thursday Nov-1-2018 5:55:49 PDT