Amour Amour (1925)

PackagingLouis Sue
Parent CompanyShaneel Enterprises Ltd > Designer Parfums
Parent Company at launchJean Patou

About Amour Amour

Amour Amour is a feminine perfume by Jean Patou. The scent was launched in 1925 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Henri Alméras. The bottle was designed by Louis Sue

Reviews of Amour Amour

I was fortunate to be gifted this by my grandmother many years ago (1983)after taking a dab when seeing she had a new bottle of perfume on her tray...At first I thought "no, this smells "too much for me & odd!" I had to leave to get somewhere on time, kissed her goodbye & by the time I started driving I smelled gorgeous!The whole car smelled gorgeous! Those initial heavy strange notes I just could not make out, left or combined with mingling scents of jasmine & violet which stood out...Then rose came in and seemed to form the quartet!The scents coming from me was not at all synthetic!It was natures beauty at it's best!
Now, this was just from two very small dabs behind each ear!!I do not know what else I was smelling, but it was stunning!
When I got home that night I called to tell grandmother about that new perfume she had just bought! I found out for 5 dollars at Marshals!I tried to find another bottle there, but none left...
I visited my grandmother again, going from hugging her to her newest bottle of fragrance, so insisted she would get herself another bottle of Youth Dew, which she preferred daily anyway... and I could have this AMour Amour...This was the bottle in which the words amour amour was put on top of each other.From a distance looks like a design instead of words(to me anyway!) on a blue label.with a screw on cap...
I hoarded this bottle, using it only on dates with the man who turned out to be my husband! He loved my scent and told me how he smelled me even after I was gone!
I let it go, after relishing that last drop...I stuck with Estee' for many years, even during those special days of using Amour Amour onlt though ,for 'special nights'...
I could not tell you what other notes were in that bottle, but
I will never forget the confidence...the sensual, happy & special way it could make me feel...
When I went to look for it again after 1984, I was told the new ma collection had it, but was not the same formulation & never tried the new formula...Someone here on basenotes says it stayed the same, when in the Ma collection...I must admit I am sorry I didn't try it during that time AA was included in the Ma collection!
BTW I am a natural blond and hear this was for blonds...Well , it worked beautifully for me! Loved it and would love to have it again, but is pricey today and one never knows how well something was cared for when buying from Ebay! I heard Caron makes a perfume very similar...I would appreciate any input on anything similar, by anyone who ends up reading this! Thanks! Also, Moments supreme! anything similar on that one or a sample from anyone who has Moment supreme?...I feel a bit cheated I didn't get to try that one while newer and fresh!!
Also, the longevity of Amour Amour was until the next day...silage moderate plus...
15th May, 2017
I have seen Amour Amour described many times as the forerunner to Joy; containing the same rose notes, but without the jasmine and champaca. This, however, definitely does not mean it is a simple rose soliflore. Rather, it is a complex mixture of rose, subtle aldehyde, spice and green notes - actually too complex for me to even know where to start describing the individual notes.

The original and Ma Collection versions of Amour Amour smelled identical. As yet I have not tried the new Collection Heritage version (named Deux Amours - presumably due to Cacharel's cherry soda-ish concoction, Amor Amor).

Sadly, Amour Amour is the only original Patou perfume that I really did not like - try as I might, it just did not work on me; I remember it as a rather headache inducing fragrance. My dislike was only increased when my 30ml Ma Collection bottle of Parfum decided to empty itself in my suitcase when I took it on holiday in 1994! Even so, I'd like to try Deux Amours, in the hope it works better on my skin now.
06th October, 2016 (last edited: 11th October, 2016)
Antique strawberries and cream floral with unctuous cherry liqueur base. Part of a trio of perfumes for different hair colours, Amour Amour was the one for blonds. Very nice and much more subtle on paper than my skin, but then I am a) male and b) grey.
****
04th June, 2015
I was given a bottle of this in the mid-70s. Heady stuff, full of violets. Surpassed in my book only by Joy itself.
09th September, 2012
Lovely, lovely stuff. A bright and impeccable floral -- think the sweetest violet and rose-- with a sultry base of jasmine that leaves a sexy smudge on the wrist. Impossibly precious. I shake my head when I smell it; it renders so many other (treasured and beloved) items in my wardrobe positively coarse by comparison. Just wish it lasted a little longer.
08th December, 2009
I bought a bottle of Amour Amour in 1989, before it had been discontinued, and I used the entire 50 ml bottle in a matter of weeks. I still have the empty bottle! The scent was indescribable. It reminded me of the kind of fragrance that a society woman would wear when holidaying on the QE2. It was distinctive and floral, but not sweet at all. I thought there were some violets in there, and possibly some vetiver. It did not remind me at all of JOY, which I had used throughout 1987 and 1988. I'd love for this fragrance to be re-introduced. It's pure class!
06th November, 2008