Joy (1930)

PackagingLouis Sue
Parent CompanyShaneel Enterprises Ltd > Designer Parfums
Parent Company at launchJean Patou

About Joy

Joy is a feminine perfume by Jean Patou. The scent was launched in 1930 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Henri Alméras. The bottle was designed by Louis Sue

Joy fragrance notes

Reviews of Joy

Stardate 20170806:

Current version:
A floral of bygone era. Lots of white flower and indoles. Aldehyde. No civet.
Aldehydes are the right amount here (not crazy like No 5).
A great solid juice.
06th September, 2017
The Patou fragrances I've tried, Pour Homme, Pour Homme Prive, Eau de Patou, 1000, and Joy, have been fantastic. Joy is a big floral with plenty of character. I think it comes from a combination of the flower concentrates and a dash of animalics. I'm sampling from a pre-2000 version, I believe.

Looking at the listed notes, peach, jasmine, tuberose, musk, and civet sound right to me.
21st May, 2017
Thumbs up b/c it is a classic. It is a powdery aldehyde. I'm not sure that it stands out in the field, I do get a bit of civet but not enough to be obnoxious. Strong flowers over an aldehyde base. Formal smelling.
14th October, 2016
I own both the EdP and the EdT. I owned the EdT first and liked it enough to purchase the EdP. This review is for the EdT.

Upon first application, all I could smell was roses, roses, roses, and jasmine. Then, after the dry down, I could begin to detect other lovely flowers with rose and jasmine still rather predominate. Unfortunately, my nose is not well tutored enough for me to identify all of the florals, but they smell lovely. If this had been strictly roses only, I probably would not have splurged on the EdP.

Joy is a very feminine, floral fragrance. I personally do not detect a strong powdery note in it. I do not detect anything animalic in it either. It is just a very pretty floral with heavy doses of roses and jasmine. In my mind's eye, I can imagine Katherine Hepburn wearing this in the Philadelphia story. It is reminiscent of that deep, intoxicatingly floral smell one would detect if one walked into a small florist's shop where all they sold was flowers. I am not sure those shops exist any more. Those shops largely have given way to the big stores as have the small Mom & Pop grocery stores of yesteryear, but this fragrance is definitely reminiscent of those small florist shops.

I can detect the EdT on myself pretty well for about two to three hours. I do not know if anyone could smell it on me after that or not. Sillage and projection are moderate. Longevity is moderate.

Overall, this is a nice floral that reminds one of beautiful, wealthy, young ladies of yesteryear. I say this because flowers used to be a lot more expensive than most are these days. "In the old days," it cost a pretty penny to send a dozen roses to one's sweetheart, and I am sure that in the midst of the depression, it must have cost much more, hence the description of Joy as the costliest parfum in the world at that time.

I like it and think it would be appropriate for both daytime and evening wear, church wear, weddings, and any time one wants to affect a feminine, soft, rosy floral. I think this is definitely a year round fragrance, too.

Fragrance: 6/10
Projection: 6/10
Sillage: 6/10
Longevity: 5/10
17th April, 2016
OMG. This is heavenly. I am testing the vintage perfume purchased on eBay. Rose and jasmine with other notes, perhaps sandalwood and civet, though not much civet on my skin.

More on the feminine side, and more on the old (classical) side, but it doesn't matter as long as it smells wonderful.

09th June, 2015
I wanted to love Joy, but the civet was just too much. On me, I got a strong "nursing home urine" from the very beginning that just stuck around and never quite faded away. The florals tried to push their way forward, but just could not overcome. Such a pity.
02nd May, 2015

Add your review of Joy

Shop for Joy products online

Shop for Joy at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Joy

Member images of Joy

There are no member images of Joy yet. Why not be the first?