Divine Folie (1933)

PerfumerHenri Alméras
Parent CompanyShaneel Enterprises Ltd > Designer Parfums
Parent Company at launchJean Patou

About Divine Folie

Divine Folie is a feminine perfume by Jean Patou. The scent was launched in 1933 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Henri Alméras

Divine Folie fragrance notes

Reviews of Divine Folie

Divine Folie was one of my favourite perfumes of all time. As with many of the original Patou perfumes (most of which were highly complex) I find it very difficult to identify individual notes. Divine Folie was a beautiful blend of florals (again, very difficult to identify individual notes, though rose and carnation were definitely in the mixture) and vanilla notes (nothing like the overly sweet gourmand vanilla of modern perfumes) on a subtle, warm spice and woody base. I really can't be any more specific as to what the notes were. I would think that it must have been considered extremely modern when it was released in the 1930s, as it smells from a different age altogether than most of its contemporaries. If I had to equate Divine Folie with another perfume, the best I can think of is that it was like a more woody, and far more subtle version of Caron's Nuit De Noel - and that really isn't very similar.

I was so disappointed when Ma Collection was discontinued, and I am hoping that Divine Folie will eventually be added to the new Collection Heritage - though in an unaltered state: I say this as Adieu Sagesse has been changed beyond recognition, though Vacances (the only other Collection Heritage perfume I have tried yet) is the same as it always was.
07th October, 2016
This is what they mean by "perfume as art". Divine Folie was a statement on the cheap decadence of the party that was the Jazz Age leading up to the Great Crash. Opens with a sharp blast of ylang ylang over some muddled florals with a dash of eugenol and some kind of waxy oiliness reminiscent of waking up in your makeup. It's surprisingly lovely with a madeleine-like vanilla / iris combo, which I presume is where the rose, jasmine and neroli ended up. It lasts for a while, but it's a very close wear.
07th February, 2015
This smells predominantly of cloves/carnation with a comfortable warmth on me. As such it does very little for me showing no real facets. It also reminds me of Colony in feel. This review is for the EdT!
01st August, 2011
"Oscar" by Oscar de la Renta (made 1977) almost copied "Divine Folie". I kid you not! They are very identical. This is 50% "Oscar" + 50% Guerlain "L'heure bleu". "Divine Folie" smells more expencive, sweeter, and much more rounded, and more well done than todays "Oscar" in those tall bottles. "Oscar" is my signature-scent. So this came as a big SUPRISE to me, as I've always thought "Oscar" is such a scent that stands out from the crowd! Fascinating ineed! I'd go for "L'heure bleu" instead of this hard-to-find $$$ discontinued one.
21st January, 2011
BayKAT Show all reviews
I"m assuming my sample is 'aged', since this is discontinued.
this is one that I like, but don't love. The floral drydown is warm and sweet, and a spiciness keeps it interesting. What i'd like more of is a heavier base with more contrast. This fragrance gets a bit 'stale' on me, but again, probably due to age.

I can imagine that in it's hey day this was a stunning scent, though. Well worth trying if you can.
26th September, 2010
VintageVogue has described this gorgeous perfume perfectly! It is a close wearing well crafted and ladylike leather - better snag a bottle before they're all gone.
21st May, 2009

Add your review of Divine Folie

Shop for Divine Folie products online

Search Amazon for Divine Folie

Member images of Divine Folie

There are no member images of Divine Folie yet. Why not be the first?