Eau de Patou (original) (1976)
by Jean Patou

Eau de Patou (original) information

Year of Launch1976
AvailabilityDiscontinued

HouseJean Patou
PerfumerJean Kerleo
Parent CompanyShaneel Enterprises Ltd > Designer Parfums
Parent Company at launchJean Patou

About Eau de Patou (original)

Eau de Patou (original) is a feminine perfume by Jean Patou. The scent was launched in 1976 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Jean Kerleo

Reviews of Eau de Patou (original)

Wow, what a beauty...So, I put a few fragrances on hold at a store & went in to pick them y'day - just glanced around & noticed the older conical shaped Eau de Patou bottle - store's SA mentions those were not fragrances (but probably body creams etc), but the SA brings out 2 X 60ml splash bottles of the Eau de Patou from inside. As I'm a regular, I asked if I could sample one of them, just to see what condition the jus was in & lo - perfection in a citrus...Agree with most of what drseid mentions, but unlike him, I just love the deep oakmoss in the basenotes of this (another) excellent Jean Kerleo / Jean Patou creation. This has a lot of similarity to another fragrance created by the same duo - Lacoste Eau de Sport, but Eau de Patou is miles ahead in terms of depth due to the beautiful, strong oakmoss. Buy it if you see it, there aren't going to be beauties like these in the future...
01st August, 2016
I wrote a concise and pleasant review of Eau de Patou and, as I hit submit and got up to grab a beer, missed the part where the website went offline and my writing was obliterated. Let's hope I can recapture the magic.

THIS is how you do citrus. The opening is a blast of sparkling-fresh citrus balanced out with a crisp, dry bed of oakmoss and initially I am reminded of the lovely Diorella. A hint of pepper balances out the white floral heart in a 50's sort of way and a handsome dose of civet seals the deal. Fans of Eau de Rochas Homme will recognize this body as being entirely similar but with the birch tar substituted for the moss, and with a more lasting base. This is not a particularly feminine fragrance. There is a whiff of something white and clean like jasmine or honeysuckle, but this is mostly just citrus and moss, and it is Good. Obviously, being a citrus-based scent, the first half hour is the most fun, but I can't wait to wear this out this Summer and see how it evolves.
13th February, 2016
Vintage is best...

This is a lovely one. It is quite beautiful too! This is not a typical citrus fragrance either. It is a combination between citrus, amber, civet and oakmoss, and it's very unusual and very nice. I get the civet and amber straight away together with the citrus (orange mainly) and oakmoss. It's gorgeous! It's sweet and balanced and the civet and sweet amber reminds me of honey! There is also a lot of neroli, honeysuckle and ylang-ylang. It doesn't smell "modern" at all but it has so much character! I like it very much. What a shame this version is no longer being made! Sometimes I think that some of the best versions of fragrances belong to the past, and this is an example of one of them. R.I.P. Eau de Patou...
24th December, 2014
rbaker Show all reviews
The citrus opening is high-quality, fresh but not very bright and more a sunrise than a blast on my skin. After an hour the middle note develops a fruity but not-too-sweet tone, that towards the end adds moss and musk. Always a restrained and unobtrusive scent, it is very nice but not really unique. Still, an enjoyable composition, but projection is poor and is only lasts a couple of hours on my skin. This is a review of a vintage sample.
27th April, 2013
drseid Show all reviews
Eau de Patou opens with an amazing slightly herbal citrus consisting mainly of orange, but also Sicilian lemon, lime and grapefruit. The effervescent fresh citrus remains into the early heart notes, but in a much more subdued smooth state, giving way to an orange blossom and jasmine-like ylang-ylang floral tandem. In the dry-down, the orange blossom begins to fade just a hair, now blending near-perfectly with strong amber and oakmoss from the base. Projection is above average and longevity is exceptional.

Eau de Patou has got to have some of the best opening accords of any scent I have smelled. The light herbal citrus is absolutely to die for. Adding to the open, while orange blossom is not a note I tend to enjoy as a rule, it is used so beautifully here by the master himself, Jean Kerleo, that even the most ardent detractor of the note has to enjoy it and I certainly did. If I have any gripe with the scent, it is the amber and oakmoss in the base are just a bit on the strong side, slightly overpowering the orange blossom a bit during the dry-down. I really am just reaching for minor gripes in an outstanding overall composition though; and as an aside, gender watching observers should absolutely ignore the "feminine" label on Eau de Patou, as it is perfectly unisex and will smell incredible on anyone. Certainly Eau de Patou deserves mention in any conversation of the best citrus floral scents of all-time, earning a very strong 4 to 4.5 stars out of 5. I strongly recommend citrus floral and oakmoss lovers pick this one up while you still can.
20th November, 2012
bokaba Show all reviews
I was surprised I hadn't yet reviewed Eau de Patou. Designed by my hero, Jean Kerleo (also designed Patou pour Homme, Prive, and Ma Liberte) this one was a no-brainer. At first sniff, it struck me as not too exciting, but then the quality of ingredients and artistry came into play and I was quite impressed. The opening is a fruity citrus of high quality (not the typically bright, hesperidic citrus one usually associates with eau de colognes) that was dense and rich. Then the floral elements of ylang, orange blossom, jasmine, nasturtium, and honeysuckle (a bit feminine, but you'll live) emerge and interplay with the gentle base of oakmoss (the real thing), civet, musk, and amber to keep it going. I would get a bottle if you can. Eau de Patou exemplifies old world and old-fashioned sophistication along with good old-fashioned craftsmanship.
18th March, 2012

Add your review of Eau de Patou (original)

Shop for Eau de Patou (original) products online

Shop for Eau de Patou (original) at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Eau de Patou (original)

Member images of Eau de Patou (original)

There are no member images of Eau de Patou (original) yet. Why not be the first?