Ombre Rose L'Original (1981)
by Jean-Charles Brosseau

Ombre Rose L'Original information

Year of Launch1981

HouseJean-Charles Brosseau
PerfumerFrançoise Caron
PackagingJean-Charles Brosseau
Parent CompanyJean-Charles Brosseau

About Ombre Rose L'Original

Ombre Rose L'Original is a feminine perfume by Jean-Charles Brosseau. The scent was launched in 1981 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Françoise Caron. The bottle was designed by Jean-Charles Brosseau

Ombre Rose L'Original fragrance notes

Reviews of Ombre Rose L'Original

I wore this in college in the 80s and considered it gorgeous, even after my boyfriend described it as "that foofy perfume you wear." I'm pretty sure he made that word up, but I think it fits. I don't do "foofy" any more and avoid powdery smells like the plague. But that doesn't take away from the qualities that made it gorgeous to me when it was more my style - the subtle scent of rose coming through a shadow.
30th January, 2015
The L'Original was appended to the name when Brosseau managed to relaunch this scent after buying back the licenses to what had become a debased reformulation of the Francoise Caron created original (1981). Much is made of how this perfume was the precursor of the gourmand floral, its soft cuddliness inspiring a trend that dominated 1990s perfumery. Certainly, anyone coming new to it now, will be struck by how familiar it seems. But sheer quality raises it above the generic pool to hold its own among the greats.
Ultimately, this is a soapy rose and for some whose teeth go straight on edge at that thought, it's wisest to try something else and not waste your time here. But for those who would persist, this is the nth degree of soap heaven: soft, clean, a haze of pink impressions. There are no hespiridic notes, nor much evolution: this goes straight into the sweet pink rose (a Turkish rose?) supported unobtrusively by other sweet floral notes like ylang. All reeling in a soapy mist of coumarin, vanilla, orris, musks: the effect like being in a pointillist painting. This is Ombre Rose's masterstroke: it gives a perfume rush akin to the most exciting creations while remaining supremely comforting, almost serene.
Apparently buyers at its launch immediately began referring to it as 'their perfume' and till date the marketing on this one uses the slogan: 'My Ombre Rose'. Having come under its spell, I cannot disagree.
I was disappointed by the longevity of the EDT and sought out the less-widely available (but reasonably priced) EDP which has worked like a dream. I imagine the pure parfum is even better.
03rd May, 2012
OMBRE ROSE – Brosseau – 1981 [rose, powdery]

This is a light, powdery rose scent, using Turkish rose, the dry scent reminiscent of that used in Penhaligon’s classic men’s scent, Hammam Bouquet. Also a bit reminiscent of Caswell Massey’s retired Original Newport. It is non-intrusive, light and enveloping without dominance. One of the best rose scents for men I have found.

Top Notes: Peach, Rosemary, Geranium, Bergamot, Lavender
Middle Notes: Muguet, Ylang Ylang, Turkish Rose, Orris, Honey, Heliotrope, Jasmine, Neroli, Violet
Base Notes: Sandalwood, Cedarwood, Vetiver, Vanilla, Musk, Cinnamon, Tonka Bean, Coumarin, Amber, Musk, Orris
01st May, 2012
Top notes: aldehydes, peach, brazilian rosewood, geranium
Middle notes: sandalwood, orris root, vetiver, ylang-ylang, lily-of-the-valley, cedar, rose
Base notes : honey, iris, tonka bean, cinnamon, musk, vanilla, heliotrope

I never liked this perfume nor the carbon copy Parfum de lune (I can't remember by whom). Ombre rose has a rather interesting composition. However, it seems like the aldehydes and musk notes overpower everything else. A friend of mine used to wear Ombre rose in the 80's. Even my mother wore it for a short while. The musty smell was the same on both ladies. It was so pervasive I could almost taste it. To add insult to injury, it's longevity was endless. Whenever someone wearing Ombre rose touched something in the house, the lingering odor would stick for days. To me, this fragrance was headache in a bottle. I am relieved no one close to me wear it anymore.
05th March, 2012 (last edited: 11th March, 2012)
Notes: rosewood, geranium, rose, cedarwood, vanilla, ylang ylang, lily of the valley, orris, sandalwood, coumarin, musk and honey

L'Ombre Rose (The Pink Shadow) in vintage parfum is my Valentine's Day fragrance. The name as well as the fragrance remind me of the dreamy Edith Piaf torch song "La Vie En Rose", swirling down a glamorous 1920's hotel hallway covered in gold and pink wallpaper and landing in a big powdery dressing room. If I could source enough of it, L'Ombre Rose (vintage) could easily be a signature for me, as it's a floral aldehyde with a delicately gourmand sensibility. A simple bouquet of soft flowers
on top of a huge powder puff and somewhere in that scene, a fat little honey bee is buzzing around.
Old-fashioned but not Old Lady, with a softness that seems to reference Guerlain. Hard as it may be to believe, there was at least one whispery soft treasure from the 1980's, L'Ombre Rose. A must for any
powdery fragrance fan.
15th February, 2012
I like to go back from time to time and revisit the perfumes of my youth. I haven't smelled Ombre Rose for years, so I tried some to see what it's like currently. Now, there are scents I call "top note" perfumes. These are fragrances that have a top note so clear it immediately grabs you. Then there are "dry down" scents, the top notes may not do much for you but the dry down can be wonderful. Ombre Rose is a "dry down" perfume. When I first spray it on I find the top very unimpressive, but as it dries down the rose peaks out and the honey. The last stage with the vanilla and sandalwood is my favorite.
This is not a brazen, standout rose perfume. It's a soft, gentle, caressing scent. I like it that way.
09th May, 2011

Add your review of Ombre Rose L'Original

Shop for Ombre Rose L'Original products online

Shop for Ombre Rose L'Original at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Ombre Rose L'Original

Member images of Ombre Rose L'Original

There are no member images of Ombre Rose L'Original yet. Why not be the first?