Jean-Louis Scherrer (1979)

PackagingSerge Mansau
Parent CompanyJean-Louis Scherrer
Parent Company at launchUnilever

About Jean-Louis Scherrer

Jean-Louis Scherrer is a feminine perfume by Jean-Louis Scherrer. The scent was launched in 1979 and the bottle was designed by Serge Mansau

Jean-Louis Scherrer fragrance notes

Reviews of Jean-Louis Scherrer

A strong and independent woman without having to rely on another person.anothers timeless classic scent with perfect balance between the freshness and earthiness between sensuality and intensity that commands respect but can only be worn by a woman that has strong and confident enough presence to actually wear this.a fresh complex green potion that is uplifting.Classy,Sophisticated,Woody,Soapy,Versatile and Richly Elegant.

The top notes is an soapy aroma of aldehyde,hiacynth and green notes that is really green and fresh in a sexy way.the luminous flower heart is well balanced by rose,jasmine and carnation and a hint of powdery by orris root.this smell also has a depply musky and woody finish.that result is a crystal clear scent with woody-deep forest type.an independent woman in a log evening dress surrounded by smoke and mystery. perfect for any seasons.

Sillage?Nice.

Longevity?Superb on my skin.

30th August, 2016
I love its green chypre intensity, its mystery and its charms so much that I cheat - yes, I admit it - I cheat and do the unthinkable and use it with a spritz on my stomach and then use a spritz of Yatagan by Caron on my chest. The 'marriage' of the two is perfect - two dries - the driest masculine fragrance of them all and the driest feminine fragrance. People ask me what I'm wearing and I say - this and that. 'This' and 'that' being the two most ardent of fragrances. Now, I'm considering a further spritz of Jacomo de Jacomo on my arms... you know, just to complete the amalgam. By itself, Jean-Louis Sherrer is magnificent and fierce enough for a man to wear it with aplomb - the Chypre.
01st March, 2016
This is the Perfume of my Mother-in-Law. She was a Redhead, who dressed as a strong capable Feminine. Beautiful, big,bossy, billowing green floral. I like this on women.
19th February, 2016 (last edited: 19th February, 2017)
I can't agree with those who give this a thumbs up - it's base is a solid green chypre and very nice.

However, it's top notes keep changing: one day for me it's a mix of anise, cassis and caraway; another it is reminiscent of Schiaparelli's SHOCKING in its tobacco/honey blend.

Some days it just smells like plastic.

A "wonky" scent and in no way the same class as CABOCHARD or QUORUM.
04th September, 2012
Jean-Louis Scherrer is probably one of the greatest chypre cuir compositions ever made. I agree with some reviewers here who say JLS is reminiscent of other famous chypre cuir perfumes such as Cabochard and Bandit. Strangely enough, there is no leather in JLS according to the olfactive pyramid found on the Net.

Top notes: aldehydes, green notes, violet, cassia, hiacynth
Middle notes: carnation, tuberose, gardenia, orris root, jasmine, rose
Base notes: sandalwood, amber, musk, civet, oakmoss, vanilla, vetiver, cedar

Moss and vetiver make for a great classic combination but they can be lethal when mixed with aldehydes and animalic notes. JLS could have been a very offensive stink-bomb! Thank God, it is magnificently balanced. Yes, it is definitely bitter and dry as a bone but it softens just a bit as soon as the dry-down process begins. The discreet sweeter notes (amber, vanilla, carnation) appear to be lost in the composition but they do a great "softening" job. The animalic notes are extremely present without being too heavy or skunky. And without the floral notes, Jean-Louis Scherrer would probably have been marketed as a masculine EDT. I think this fragrance is absolutely unique. There are quite a few light fresh green EDT's around but this one is anything but light and fresh. It is woody, rich and dark. Really dark. Not every woman can wear such a daring, strong and assertive fragrance. However, the lucky ones who can get away with it will get a lot of compliments.
23rd October, 2011
A green, long-lasting, seductive, original, complex. harmonious scent. I prefer Scherrer to better known chypre classics. I discovered it in the mid-80's because a very fashionable student from Romania wore it every day. It was a gift from her boyfriend in Paris. At that time you couldn't find it anywhere in the States, so I had to wait months until I was in France to buy it. It may have been more popular in Europe, but in the States it was--and still is--a unique scent. Gorgeous. Green. Glamorous. Bold. And it goes on and on. I apply it lightly, wear it with caution, and generally turn to it only in moments of olfactory nostalgia.
02nd July, 2011

Add your review of Jean-Louis Scherrer

Shop for Jean-Louis Scherrer products online

Shop for Jean-Louis Scherrer at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Jean-Louis Scherrer

Member images of Jean-Louis Scherrer

There are no member images of Jean-Louis Scherrer yet. Why not be the first?