Scherrer 2 (1986)

HouseJean-Louis Scherrer
Parent CompanyJean-Louis Scherrer
Parent Company at launchUnilever

About Scherrer 2

Scherrer 2 is a feminine perfume by Jean-Louis Scherrer. The scent was launched in 1986

Reviews of Scherrer 2

This stuff is fantastic, a really nice aldehydic floral chypre in the vein of Chanel No 5 or Joy. Samples of the EDT are cheap and plentiful and that's what I've been wearing, though if there was ever an extrait, I bet it was mindblowing.

It kicks off with champagne aldehydes similar in tone to No 5, but with more bright citrus, nice jasmine, and rose filling it out. There's a touch of civet for luxurious depth, but not as much as Joy. What Scherrer 2 brings to the table is a confident, beautiful sweetness that never smells cheap, and a perfectly balanced green edge running behind everything, keeping the whole smell quite deeply faceted.
01st May, 2015
Genre: Floral Oriental

Lots of muguet, rose, tart citrus, and aldehydes make for punchy, if conventionally “perfumey” top notes, which expand into a heady, rose-centered floral oriental heart, underscored by plenty of downy musk and amber. Indolic jasmine and honey lend the composition an animalic warmth to balance out the aggressive use of aldehydes and smooth over the sharp edges of the green muguet.

Balance is indeed a hallmark here, along with an olfactory density that would go out of style in the decades following Scherrer 2’s introduction. Today this fragrance smells nostalgic, but its essential quality and soundness of structure can’t be denied. A scent that’s well worth trying for anyone who appreciates more ample proportions in feminine fragrances.
06th September, 2014
A dry, spicy, floral chypre that is truly sophisticated and elegant.

I so wanted to like Scherrer 1, after the praise that Basenoters heaped it with, but just could not bring myself to that point, although I do give it points for originality as a sharp, green chypre.

Number 2 is a warm, close to the skin scent for the mature woman and smells like nothing I've encountered thus far in the chypre line. That hint of sweet spice seems to make promises she fully intends to keep, but in her own time. The subtle use of pineapple is inspired.

This could certainly work for a man as well, but as conceived for women, it is a wonderful surprise and a great hit with me.

Top notes: Bergamot, Mandarin, Pineapple, Anise
Muguet, Rose, Jasmine, Lily, Orris, Tuberose, Honey
Vanilla, Sandalwood, Benzoin, Amber, Musk, Heliotrope

This is one to treasure.
16th July, 2014
One of my favorites.This was my “signature scent” until one day I woke up and realized: so little time, so many fragrances. Men and women complimented me nearly every time I wore it (which was just about daily in fall and winter). I would spell the name slowly, scribble it on business cards, cocktail napkins, matchbooks—but “ Scherrer 2” is not a household name in these parts, so it remained my own, special perfume. It was also very hard to find in the US pre-internet shopping except for a window of a few years when Sephora carried it, so the Scherrer 2 stop was one of my favorite pilgrimages in France.

It bursts my bubble to hear that Scherrer 2 smells like the disconcertingly named “Youth Dew” (which I’ve still never smelled, and may never smell out of sheer denial).

Scherrer 2 is an elegant, arguably perfect scent: spicy but neither sharp nor gourmand; feminine, but not sweet; a bit floral, but never, ever powdery; strong and lasting, but not loud. The Chrysler Building-esque bottle captures the character of the fragrance.

All of this said, this type of scent is out of date, but not yet retro, so it is not for everyone, not even for me right now, although the fall weather makes me reconsider.

Not to be confused with its older sibling, the equally gorgeous, equally out-of-style chypre, Jean Louis Scherrer.

[This is a review of the EDP]
03rd November, 2008 (last edited: 28th February, 2010)
Is this Youth Dew part 2? It certainly seemed so.
A thumbs up for the smell of it and a thumbs down for originality.
So...
28th November, 2007
This was one of my first perfumes I bought as a teenager. Not really a teenager smell though, not at all flowery or fruity. But I adored it... and I still do. I don't have it anymore, too much other smells going on. Actually, when Amber Nude was launched it reminded me of Scherrer II, just the first smell though, I even find Scherrer II better. It has a bit of tobacco in it which makes it irresistible (for me) and it's also a bit more fruitier at the end. Last very long an is an ideal winter or evening perfume. Should buy it again... .
05th June, 2007

Add your review of Scherrer 2

Shop for Scherrer 2 products online

Shop for Scherrer 2 at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Scherrer 2

Member images of Scherrer 2

There are no member images of Scherrer 2 yet. Why not be the first?