Nuits Indiennes (1993)

PackagingSusan Wacker
Parent CompanyJean-Louis Scherrer
Parent Company at launchUnilever

About Nuits Indiennes

Nuits Indiennes is a feminine perfume by Jean-Louis Scherrer. The scent was launched in 1993 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Nathalie Feisthauer. The bottle was designed by Susan Wacker

Reviews of Nuits Indiennes

I was surprised to see how low Nuit Indiennes was rated here, and so few positive reviews? I have the EdP and I find it magical, but I haven't tried the Edt so I can't speak for that one. Nuits Indiennes EdP is one of few bottles in my collection I will buy again if ever dare to finish these precious drops.

The top begins with a polite puff of aldehydes followed by fruity notes of mandarine and peach. Then the flowers joins the composition adding beautiful notes of lilac, heliotrope, jasmine, Ylang Ylang and rose. The basenotes are woody and sweet from vanilla, benzoin and tonka. Civet adds an animalistic note to the composition, in quite a good dose. It's a warm, sweet, cozy and animalistic fragrance best used in the colder season.

Nuit Indiennes is a well balanced, multi layered sweet and woody floriental with enhanced basenotes and a civet bite. Beeing a floriental, it's not at all spicy but the sandalwood and cedar brings beautiful notes to the composition. I'll give it a 5/5.
23rd July, 2014
This is an amber vanilla based oriental, similar to Shalimar and Emeraude.

Odd that Scherrer should try to resurrect a copy of those greats in 1993, so against the times, and I'm not surprised that it failed.

Barbara Herman describes this as a floral and amber scent supported by a civet dominated woody base - a powdery, sweet gourmand.

For me, it never gets beyond the amber vanilla stage, so is rather simplistic. As a copy of a category of greats, it's not bad. It's just not good enough to hold its own or strike new ground.

Top: Bergamot, Lemon, Mandarin, Peach
Middle: Jasmine, Muguet, Rose, Ylang Ylang, Lilac, Heliotrope
Base: Sandalwood, Cedar, Vanilla, Benzoin, Ambrein, Musk, Tonka, Civet
10th July, 2014
This has civet? Huh. Well, I don't get any hint of that, which is probably a good thing. To me, this is a typical 90's version of a scent intended for older, monied women. A brisk, intense beginning of citruses and spices that fades quickly into a rich floral powder-amber. I agree that the lasting power on this isn't so much, and it does remind me of a lot of fragrances that have already been done - Raffinee, L'Heure Bleue, Byzance without the slightly harsh-narcotic white flower note, even Shalimar somewhat. There's not really anything that sets this apart that I can tell. I suppose that if you like the powdery-orientals but find them too strong and after a while they suffocate, this might be a nice alternative that fades before it becomes too much.
27th May, 2007
I finally got my Scentagious sample of this & I was so excited. The bottle of this is so very pretty. I thought I was going to love this one, but I didn't.

This scent was inspired by the 1908 painting 'The Kiss'. It was described as a floral oriental. I found it lacking in the oriental base- and with little depth. The base notes just didn't develop at all.
On me it had no tenacity; the spices & citrus notes didn't come alive. It had more of a powdery drydown with lily of the valley, rose & violet. A little reminiscent of Byzance and L'Heure Bleue mixed together in my opinion. The lasting power is terrible as well on my skin. When this drys down it stays close to the skin ie no sillage on me.

Notes as listed by Scentagious.com
Top notes: bergamot, mandarin, peach, boise de rose
Heart notes: jasmine, lily of the valley, lilac, heliotrope, cedarwood
Base notes: sandalwood, vanilla, benzoin, tonka, civet
03rd December, 2005

Add your review of Nuits Indiennes

Shop for Nuits Indiennes products online

Search Amazon for Nuits Indiennes

Member images of Nuits Indiennes

There are no member images of Nuits Indiennes yet. Why not be the first?