Magie (1950)

PerfumerArmand Petitjean
PackagingGeorges Delhomme
Parent CompanyL'Oréal Group

About Magie

Magie is a feminine perfume by Lancôme. The scent was launched in 1950 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Armand Petitjean. The bottle was designed by Georges Delhomme

Reviews of Magie

Such a strange scent... I want to call it unisex but I can't- like there's a woman living in it. Baba Yaga, from the Forests of Olde, once powerful, feared, revered, respected, and finally all but forgotten. Magie contains mystery, beauty, age, wisdom, poise, and wonder, but I can't shake an underlying threat in the mix, as though by wearing it I'm breaking a code or trespassing somehow. Whereas such abnormal sentiments would normally thrill me, coming from a mere scent, this one unsettles me, and while I can see myself enjoying it I would just as soon keep a safe distance.
Doubtless one to try, but not to own unless you live in a hut supported by chicken feet.
If that statement lacks sense I would suggest reading about Baba Yaga. Then buy a sample of Magie. Oh, to smell the old world.
31st March, 2011
Magie Conjours a esoteric mystery Opens with the darkest
and the most animalistic note of amber pure and unsweetened, Walking though a dimly lidded cave on a
nocturnal moment threads of Calligraphic Arabic verses
of gold Dangles with an Ethereal glow, Elusive jasmine
grows in the Rock's crevice elegantly grows on the on
the bare walls with sinuous beauty with it's leafy vines. I detect Civet in it's purest form adds to the
Dark Exotica of this scent Wisp of incense smoke pierces
though the utter darkness of the cave following the smoke until you saw where the smoke is burning from
a beautiful incense burner etched in the shape of a
dragon burns with the note of dry sandalwood, as the
incense burns your transfixed by the smoke dancing
revealing our Inner thoughts.

Magie is a dark beauty delighting in sensual pleasure
a bit of danger with Civet and meditation with amber.
21st January, 2011
I believe I have a vintage sample. Maybe many notes have faded over time. I am getting a very refined and pure rose. Not a Chanel rose, no aldehydes or jasmine. There is a resin-y pine note to lift the rose and also a wine note to darken it. So, the effect is middle of summer/middle of day rose. If I use my imagination, I might smell violets in there. It reminds me of Joy (but clearly Rose) or maybe a rose attar (but more balletic). Sadly there is no amber or musk to lengthen the ride...I just have the rose-y middle notes.
29th July, 2010
JDBIII Show all reviews
This is a very unusual scent! It begins at Chanel No. 5 and there starts a continual, non-stop evolution until it ends up at Chinatown and then begins to disappear. My bottle is a vintage aerosol from the 1960's that has been in a box since forever. I'm not kidding. The Chinatown accord is unmistakeable. I ran around the house sniffing my wrist until I could place it and then compared it with my sample of Chinatown. Almost identical. If you like a classic scent that is always on the move, this is the one for you. I have not smelled the modern formulation, but I can't imagine it could compare with the vintage juice for complexity and surprise.
12th April, 2010
AnnS Show all reviews
A VERY classy aldehyde - mostly jasmine and amber on me. Lasting power is outstanding, dry down is a soft, powdery, floral amber, and the sillage is good. It is definitely a "white shirt" / "little black dress" type fragrance that can be worn all year day or evening. This is not a cold or rigid aldehyde, but very warm and sunny. Wearing this frag always boosts my confidence.
04th December, 2008
Recently relaunched as an edp as part of the La Collection series, Magie is a wonder of a scent. Notes of jasmine, violet, musk and amber create a bewitching and heady composition that is surprisingly unisex in effect. Wonderful lasting power and sillage, comforting and rich.
15th January, 2006

Add your review of Magie

Shop for Magie products online

Shop for Magie at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Magie

Member images of Magie

There are no member images of Magie yet. Why not be the first?