Magie Noire (1978)

SupplierPFW Paris
PackagingPierre Dinand
Parent CompanyL'Oréal Group

About Magie Noire

Magie Noire is a feminine perfume by Lancôme. The scent was launched in 1978 and the fragrance was created by perfumers Jean-Charles Niel, Yves Tanguy and Gerard Goupy. The bottle was designed by Pierre Dinand

Reviews of Magie Noire

rbaker Show all reviews
A review of the original vintage version

The opening, an intrinsicate mix of flowers and fruits, is delightful. A rich rose note, smooth and velvety, combines with a nice hyacinth and whiffs of muguet supply the floral potpourri. The fruity component is mainly a mix of raspberry and blackcurrant. At the tail end of the top notes a gala NUM impression leads into the drydown.

The heart notes continue the rose-Centre’s theme by adding additional florals over time. A fresh jasmine impression appears whilst the muguet becomes stronger in the central stage of the development of this creation, and a touch of a honeyed narcissus is present too. Further into the drydown this mix becomes headier and creamier, courtesy of a well-made ylang-ylang note that is enhance by a lovely tuberose. This tuberose is on the restrained side and it is quite a slim tuberose, lacking any significant indolic, raisinous or waxy component.

The base notes enter a darker realm, with an edgier and slightly sharp castoreum and a dark civet resulting in muskier character. A lovely oakmoss enhances the sharper side, although not overly so; this is no Gucci Nobile. An ambery note sandalwood struggles to make its word heard next to the oakmoss and the castoreum, whilst this darker phase is given some rays brightness by the addition of touches of vetiver and benzoin towards the end. The base is, nonetheless, the darkest part in the development of this creation.

I get moderate sillage, very good projection and eight hours of longevity on my skin.

A complex and rich scents for elegant nights out in spring or autumn, with delightfully layered texure and constituted of ingredients of a very high quality. One of Lancôme’s finest. 3.75/5.
13th October, 2019
I never would've imagined falling in love with this scent, but that's exactly what happened. I received a sample of this and randomly selected it out of my "mountain" and had no idea what to expect because I hadn't looked at reviews or notes or anything, I just knew that this was a vintage scent and had no idea of if mine was the older formulation or not.

After the wearing I have reason to believe that it is the reformulated version and here is why: It's considered a chypre and heavy on the animalics/oakmoss. On my skin it's a lovely soapy floral. It's like rive gauche with it's heady green roses but take away the aldehydes. I get a hint of sweetness but I'd never have guessed honey. It's way too subtle, like the natural sweetness of flowers. They lie on a bed of woods, no green oakmoss. I would've guessed sandalwood or cedar as there's a touch of creaminess in there and nothing sharp about it. I didn't really get much of a development from top to bottom notes, and that could mean that it's either a vintage with it's top notes evaporated or that it's the newer formulation that they simplified to make it mass pleasing.

Either way, it manages to be wearable with a vintage charm. Old school but not so much that I wouldn't wear it in modern times, but I might feel a bit self conscious wearing it out in public. I would be paranoid that someone else would think I smell too "mature" or dated. This is a scent I would wear for myself cozied up at home maybe a hot cup of tea or coffee and a mystery book. It might be dark and storming outside. For some reason for a scent that is so pleasant and sweet (feeling) this evokes a dark nature. Like a beautiful rose bush deep in the forest where beasts and monsters might be lurking. Like the temptation that led Aurora to prick her finger on the spinning wheel.

This scent is so pure and precious yet contains an elusive darkness that calls to me. This scent doesn't feel as though it's entirely meant for me and yet I know that I will yearn for and seek her out anyways. Maybe when I am older and wiser, and "riper" if you will, the scent may feel more like it belongs on my skin. But regardless I would still like to seek a small bottle to own in the meantime, brought out and worn on special and specific occasions. Whether I wear it or it wears me...

I might need to seek a newer bottle in store (though I can't imagine where they would stock this over the 500 LVEB flankers) to compare and see if this matches my sample. If not, I will start hunting for a vintage bottle reasonably priced. Hoping the oakmoss isn't a standout in either; The one I have is perfect as it is.
10th April, 2019
A bottle of Samhain, the festival that marks the beginning of winter, when the door to the underworld is ajar, and the fruits of the harvest are eaten with the dead. Children run around the countryside as night falls, dressed as ghosts and knocking on every door to "frighten" the household into giving sweets and nuts. Later, rowdy games are played and attempts at augury are made around the fire. It's wild and dark and intoxicating. Magie Noire is grown-up Hallowe'en; a cauldron of mysterious potions, tarry, sweet and bitter, stirred by a terrifying witch. Not for the faint-hearted, and not for daylight.
13th August, 2018
Was looking for a sniff of Cuir but they don't carry it
everywhere.
Took a couple of spritzes of "Black Magic"on the arm. Soft memories of Incense of the 70's. Myrrh purr purr. The latest EDT is quite enjoyable as it lacks the Low-Fat Hi Sugar content of most of the Standard Feminines on the shelf and presents a neutral Floral.
07th October, 2016 (last edited: 08th January, 2017)
I was too young to wear this when it first came out, so my first experience with Magie Noire came last month with an Ebay sample that was annoyingly unmarked. Perhaps unsurprisingly, I became infatuated with my sample and had to have a full bottle. After some rather costly experimentation, I discovered that the version I fell in love with is the vintage Huile. For me, this is the concentration/version that is genuinely magical. The top notes produce the exact smell of a green, unshelled walnut when you run your fingernail across its skin. It then becomes a deeper, spicier, more mysterious scent involving patchouli, oak moss and civet. Beautiful and quite unlike anything else!

I'm not quite as much a fan of the vintage parfum. For me, it is missing that amazing green top that makes me want to sink my teeth into something. It's a bit too bottom-heavy for me, although I appreciate its deep and strange exoticism.
06th September, 2016
This fragrance has undergone several reformulations over the years, and not for the best. However, it seems that the EDT has now been restored to something closely approximating the original: a bottle I recently purchased at TJMaxx smells wonderful, almost indistinguishable from my vintage EDT.

To me, Magie Noire smells like a cross between Bandit and Azuree - you might not need Magie Noire if you have one or the other of those, but it can't hurt! This is a reasonably priced chypre with excellent longevity and sillage.
17th November, 2015

Add your review of Magie Noire

Shop for Magie Noire products online

Shop for Magie Noire at online perfumeries

MINI PERFUME LANCOME "MAGIE NOIRE" 7.5 ml.0.25fl.oz

End Date: Monday Jan-27-2020 20:55:41 PST
Buy It Now for only: $32.00
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

VINTAGE ORIGINAL MAGIE NOIRE LANCOME PERFUME/EDT WOMEN FULL 1.7oz/50mlSplashRARE

End Date: Tuesday Jan-28-2020 7:55:05 PST

Lancome Magie Noire 2.5oz Eau de Toilette Spray Read Listing New With Cap RARE

End Date: Tuesday Jan-28-2020 12:28:59 PST
Buy It Now for only: $69.95
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

VINTAGE LANCOME MAGIE NOIRE Eau De Toilette SPLASH 1 oz 30ml.

End Date: Tuesday Jan-28-2020 16:09:57 PST

Vintage Lancome Magie Noire Eau de Toilette Spray 100ml - NEW in Box -

End Date: Wednesday Jan-29-2020 5:24:29 PST
Buy It Now for only: $340.00
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

LANCOME MAGIE NOIRE PURE PARFUM FOR WOMEN 0.25 Oz /7.5 ml RARE DISCONTINUED ITEM

End Date: Wednesday Jan-29-2020 6:24:13 PST