Poême (1995)

PerfumerJacques Cavallier
PackagingFabien Baron
Parent CompanyL'Oréal Group

About Poême

Poême is a feminine perfume by Lancôme. The scent was launched in 1995 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Jacques Cavallier. The bottle was designed by Fabien Baron

Reviews of Poême

Poême opens with sweet white and yellow flowers accompanied by a sort of dirty earthiness. With the time, the dirty scent dissipates and what's left is a perfectly blended sweet flowers. I can sense some tuberose, some peach; otherwise I can't really pick these many notes within. The sillage is moderate on me and it lasts quite a long time.

If it's a poem, it certainly is not a melancholic one. It's sweet, bright, and speaks of the cheerfulness and joy of life. It's shining, just like the gorgeous golden bottle.
30th December, 2018
La Sargantaine portrait of Júlia Peraire by Ramon Casas 1907
11th July, 2018
Aaahhhhh! This is another one of my long-term favourites that I have been re-visiting. I’ve “broken up” with two of my old faves recently, which I was a bit sad about, so I was curious to see how this one would go. I still love it as much as I ever did. There is something about this one that just feels so warm and comforting. I get a lovely tang from the bergamot and mandarin, and I can pick out the black currant. Then the vanilla and amber and musk all start to drift up, with a hint of rose and cedar. It’s beautifully balanced – what with all the fruit and the flowers, it could easily topple over into one of those sickly, annoying, cloying perfumes, but it doesn’t. It’s a gorgeous scent – I always feel relaxed and peaceful and comfortable whenever I wear this one. Sillage and longevity are great, and it also makes whatever you’re wearing smell lovely too. I’ve got a scarf that I wore last week and I wore Poeme that day, and I can still smell it on the scarf and it smells fantastic – I kept burying my nose in the scarf just to hoover up the scent! This one is definitely staying in my perfume stable.
12th August, 2016
An irrational anthem...

This giantess of a perfume is quite a difficult case to me. I guess that it's as hard to understand as its most profound namesakes, cause I'm sure that Lancôme didn't have Humpty Dumpty on its mind when "Poême" was chosen as a name. I was struggling with it since it was launched 20 years ago, and it took me nearly half of them to finally decide that I love the way it burns my olfactory receptors with its datura and narcissus mayhem, as opposed to its mimosa and vanilla comfort. And maybe this is the reason why its bottle always reminded me of a blasting machine, which of course would make a totally inappropriate vessel to contain a poem written with liquid gold. Unless this poem was a revolutionary olfactory manifesto. Well, was it? I'm not sure yet. Maybe Poême was never really meant to be thoroughly understood. Or maybe I was never able to handle its truth.
Poetry is one of the most subjective forms of art humankind has ever created. Because it's just words, and this makes it just a fleeting whiff of air. Because you can't see, touch or hear it (unless someone is reading or reciting it to you, but this subtracts the personal connection). All other arts require one or more senses to be perceived, and they depend on senses to reveal their true form and meaning. Poetry requires just reading, and reading is not a sense. Yes, it also requires vision, but vision here is only the mean. It's the most private of all arts. But on the other hand, it's the only form of art that can quietly make you see, touch, hear and smell the things it deals with.
Yet this befuddling elixir feels more like an incantation than a poem. But what it actually summons still remains a mystery. It's like a shapeless pulsating mist, which every time you take a step closer to it attacks you with such vice that makes you wanna run away, but when you turn your back and take the first step offward, it engulfs you with the most alluring and promising fantasies.
Just like when you desire something with all your heart, but you're scared to death by what it'll take to have it.
And all its qualities, whether good or bad, have a certain escalation.
Like a poem which starts in a seemingly indifferent or incoherent way, making you think that it's not going to be anything more than yet another babble, and suddenly you find yourself sitting on the edge of your seat, enthralled beyond words, trying to understand what has happened and why you're crying.
I have a very old bottle of this beauty, coming from the late '90s, and it has a deep amber colour, not unlike red gold. Every time I remove its cap, its olfactory assault hits me with full force, to the point of rendering spraying uneccessary. And in the rare cases of finally deciding to spray some on me, 24 hours is the minimum period it grants me its magnificent contradictions. Like stealing a full day and night of my life.
I'm still wondering why such a successful and popular perfume does not have even a single flanker launched. And I have no answer to offer, except that some strange conjuncture may have decided that it will remain one of a kind till the end of time. I believe that it's the last truly great piece of high perfumery created by the once mighty Lancôme. And this makes it a landmark on the edge of "old world" perfumes. A last, yet perpetual reminder of a time when the most important asset in any perfume house was the lab and not the marketing department.
16th July, 2015
Salutation.

Everybody who is familiar with LANCOME fragrances knows this fragrances are extremely ROMANTIC&LOVELY and POEME is not exception too.It is like a Romantic poem for quick falling in love and to make this statement:To be in your arms i can not wait any longer. Ladylike, Rich,Classy,classic,Exquisite,Floral,Sweet, Exciting,Heavy but in a Exclusive way.

Like a previous bouquet adorning a beautiful Bride POEME smells of wisps of Mandarin Orange,Orange Blossom,Rose, Jasmine and Tuberose connected with supremely warm base by Vanilla,Musk, Amber and Tonka Bean to make an Irresistible Harmony and an deeply Romantic scent.

In fact it has a combination of sweet and floral that i love both.the sweet is not too sweet to overwhelming and the floral is strong enough to compliment the sweetness.It is perfect for a Dreamy Evening in AUTUMN/ WINTER and any Special Occasion. if you are looking for a Distinctive Floral scent, Romantic yet a head turner this one might Interest you.

Sillage?Graceful.

Longevity?Very Good on my skin.

7.25/10
21st October, 2014
rbaker Show all reviews
The opening is quite unique on my skin, with the mix of rose, poppy, freesia and other flowers, resulting in a voluptuous, rich and and dense aroma. The drydown adds a honey-vanilla note that fits in very nicely. Very good silage and projection, with a longevity of over four hours on my skin. Very classic and traditional with a subtle twist. Very nice.
23rd February, 2014

Add your review of Poême

Shop for Poême products online

Shop for Poême at online perfumeries

LANCOME POEME EAU DE PARFUM 30ML NATURAL SPRAY

Lancome Poeme Eau de Parfum 1 fl oz/ 30 ml Spray Lot M

End Date: Tuesday Feb-19-2019 12:01:10 PST
Buy It Now for only: $40.45
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

Poeme by Lancome 1.7 oz / 50 ml Eau De Parfum Spray For Women NIB Sealed *Rare!*

End Date: Tuesday Feb-19-2019 15:13:59 PST

Lancome Poeme 3.4 oz Bottle - appx .5oz EDP Perfume for Women

End Date: Tuesday Feb-19-2019 20:15:10 PST
Buy It Now for only: $4.99
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

Poeme By Lancome Eau De Parfum Spray For Women 1 oz (Pack of 6)

End Date: Wednesday Feb-20-2019 5:39:03 PST