Poême (1995)

PerfumerJacques Cavallier
PackagingFabien Baron
Parent CompanyL'Oréal Group

About Poême

Poême is a feminine perfume by Lancôme. The scent was launched in 1995 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Jacques Cavallier. The bottle was designed by Fabien Baron

Reviews of Poême

An irrational anthem...

This giantess of a perfume is quite a difficult case to me. I guess that it's as hard to understand as its most profound namesakes, cause I'm sure that Lancôme didn't have Humpty Dumpty on its mind when "Poême" was chosen as a name. I was struggling with it since it was launched 20 years ago, and it took me nearly half of them to finally decide that I love the way it burns my olfactory receptors with its datura and narcissus mayhem, as opposed to its mimosa and vanilla comfort. And maybe this is the reason why its bottle always reminded me of a blasting machine, which of course would make a totally inappropriate vessel to contain a poem written with liquid gold. Unless this poem was a revolutionary olfactory manifesto. Well, was it? I'm not sure yet. Maybe Poême was never really meant to be thoroughly understood. Or maybe I was never able to handle its truth.
Poetry is one of the most subjective forms of art humankind has ever created. Because it's just words, and this makes it just a fleeting whiff of air. Because you can't see, touch or hear it (unless someone is reading or reciting it to you, but this subtracts the personal connection). All other arts require one or more senses to be perceived, and they depend on senses to reveal their true form and meaning. Poetry requires just reading, and reading is not a sense. Yes, it also requires vision, but vision here is only the mean. It's the most private of all arts. But on the other hand, it's the only form of art that can quietly make you see, touch, hear and smell the things it deals with.
Yet this befuddling elixir feels more like an incantation than a poem. But what it actually summons still remains a mystery. It's like a shapeless pulsating mist, which every time you take a step closer to it attacks you with such vice that makes you wanna run away, but when you turn your back and take the first step offward, it engulfs you with the most alluring and promising fantasies.
Just like when you desire something with all your heart, but you're scared to death by what it'll take to have it.
And all its qualities, whether good or bad, have a certain escalation.
Like a poem which starts in a seemingly indifferent or incoherent way, making you think that it's not going to be anything more than yet another babble, and suddenly you find yourself sitting on the edge of your seat, enthralled beyond words, trying to understand what has happened and why you're crying.
I have a very old bottle of this beauty, coming from the late '90s, and it has a deep amber colour, not unlike red gold. Every time I remove its cap, its olfactory assault hits me with full force, to the point of rendering spraying uneccessary. And in the rare cases of finally deciding to spray some on me, 24 hours is the minimum period it grants me its magnificent contradictions. Like stealing a full day and night of my life.
I'm still wondering why such a successful and popular perfume does not have even a single flanker launched. And I have no answer to offer, except that some strange conjuncture may have decided that it will remain one of a kind till the end of time. I believe that it's the last truly great piece of high perfumery created by the once mighty Lancôme. And this makes it a landmark on the edge of "old world" perfumes. A last, yet perpetual reminder of a time when the most important asset in any perfume house was the lab and not the marketing department.
16th July, 2015

Everybody who is familiar with LANCOME fragrances knows this fragrances are extremely ROMANTIC&LOVELY and POEME is not exception too.It is like a Romantic poem for quick falling in love and to make this statement:To be in your arms i can not wait any longer. Ladylike, Rich,Classy,classic,Exquisite,Floral,Sweet, Exciting,Heavy but in a Exclusive way.

Like a previous bouquet adorning a beautiful Bride POEME smells of wisps of Mandarin Orange,Orange Blossom,Rose, Jasmine and Tuberose connected with supremely warm base by Vanilla,Musk, Amber and Tonka Bean to make an Irresistible Harmony and an deeply Romantic scent.

In fact it has a combination of sweet and floral that i love both.the sweet is not too sweet to overwhelming and the floral is strong enough to compliment the sweetness.It is perfect for a Dreamy Evening in AUTUMN/ WINTER and any Special Occasion. if you are looking for a Distinctive Floral scent, Romantic yet a head turner this one might Interest you.

Longevity?Very Good on my skin.

21st October, 2014
rbaker Show all reviews
The opening is quite unique on my skin, with the mix of rose, poppy, freesia and other flowers, resulting in a voluptuous, rich and and dense aroma. The drydown adds a honey-vanilla note that fits in very nicely. Very good silage and projection, with a longevity of over four hours on my skin. Very classic and traditional with a subtle twist. Very nice.
23rd February, 2014
I sadly agree with Passionscent, this perfume is beautiful yet sickly.

I have a funny history with this perfume starting with the gorgeous handcream by Nuxe.
I loved the scent of this hand cream so much I wished for a perfume that smelt like it. One day Lancome's Poeme was on offer in Boots and I decided to smell it, and there it was, the smell of the Nuxe hand cream in a beautiful liquid fragrance amber format! I proceeded to spray it on me and walked away to test before undoubtedly coming back the next day to purchase a bottle.
Unfortunately though, I proceeded to feel slightly sick and headachey from this powerful fragrance. I wish it wasn't quite as strong as it is. Maybe I sprayed too much? Suffice to say I didn't buy this perfume.
Anyway, it's now about 2 years since all this occurred and i'm having massive urges to go back and try Poeme again, and just spraying a little and seeing how that sits on my skin (and head and stomach I suppose).

This will be the final decider.. fingers crossed.
09th May, 2013
Quite honestly, I love this fragrance, but it gives me a nauseous headache. A woman with whom I work wears this and at first I love it and then after a while my head starts to ache and I feel like throwing up. Anywhere that she has been even after she has left, I can still smell it. As I said, I do like it but it makes me sick.
The chances of me purchasing this are slim and none.
15th April, 2013
Another fragrance I can't seem to put my finger on what I am smelling. The first blast is kind of overwhelming, but then it dries down to a wonderful floral, kind of heavy, but I liked it.

All I can tell you is the next time you pass a Lancome counter, give this a try, but don't sniff it immediately, give it a little time to develop. Maybe then you can help me figure out how to describe this.
08th September, 2012

Add your review of Poême

Shop for Poême products online

Shop for Poême at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Poême

Member images of Poême

There are no member images of Poême yet. Why not be the first?