Mambo for Women (2001)
    by Liz Claiborne

Average Rating:

Mambo for Women Fragrance Notes

Mambo for Women information

Mambo for Women is a women's fragrance by Liz Claiborne. The scent was launched in 2001 and the bottle was designed by Laurent Hainaut [Raison Pure]

Shop for Mambo for Women products online

Reviews of Mambo for Women

Showing 1 to of 4 reviews.

exciter76's avatar

As summer approaches I have rekindled my borderline obsession with orange blossom scents. I followed some rabbit hole of reviews and came across Mambo. I was sold on the idea of this being a saltless rendition of LPís Beachy. Even if it turned out to be nothing like Beachy I was still sold on the listed notes of mango, hibiscus, ginger and, mostly, orange blossom. The asking price was so ridiculously low for a 3.4oz bottle I could not resist snapping it up.

There is a strange, sharp soapiness, akin to Pure Grace or most anything in the Clean line. I have mentioned in other reviews my strange pleasure in soap-sniffing so this isnít necessarily a bad thing but it is kind of unexpected given the listed notes. If this is a problem for some, it does pass quickly; if this soap element is what draws you in, prepare to be disappointed. It does not take long for this fragrance to show its true nature as a platform for freshly grated ginger. This is ginger and all else takes a backseat. Scratch thatóeverything else takes a ride in the trunk while ginger takes the wheel.

I quite like this ginger concoction as it does not give in to being too sweet or too cloying. I really like the ginger in ELís Bali Dream but it falls prey to being too saccharine and pop fizzy as it gets cluttered by a clobbering orchid. Mambo does not fall into BDís similar trap; it is wonderfully sweet and spicy enough without going overboard. I donít get the mango or oranges; Mambo is far more floral than fruity. J.Lo and her celebrity sisters have cornered the market on over-the-top marmalades so Iím okay with this lack of fruits. Itís really refreshing to have an unapologetically persistent ginger in my collection.

05 May, 2012

Mambo is a tropical fruity / floral with mango, peach, citrus as the fruit and ylang ylang, orange blossom, and hibiscus as florals. It has a base of sandalwood, musk and vanilla. The notes seem to be thrown in the pot with no regard for each other, and no regard for any kind of balance or refinement. It's mainly synthetic, and what isn't synthetic is gaudy. It smells better on paper than on my skin, so it's probably the skin chemistry that makes it seem so bad.

05 December, 2010

Britannia's avatar

The first time I tried this, I was 14 and filching a spray of perfume from one of my friend's medicine cabinets after a sleepover because I had forgotten to bring any. It's a spicy, earthy scent that reminds me of a sweaty Latina -- in a good way. I've smelt this scent on other women, and on some it's simply awful, with the fragrance being completely off-putting and synthetic. However, on the right person, it comes out sexy and seems almost as if the person is emitting the scent themselves, instead of wearing a perfume... like it combines with their persona.
    I don't wear it anymore because I find it to be too forward, but if I ever find myself going to southern Mexico in the summertime, I suspect I'll be picking up a bottle!

24 September, 2009

lizzie_j's avatar

In the opening, the mango and mandarin are in open warfare, and neither is winning. Or rather, the lines between the two become blurred and create a new mango-mandarin-synthetic-plastic accord that is quite repulsive. The ginger is barely discernable, as is the orange blossom, behind this powerhouse opening accord of atrociousness. As the fragrance progresses cinnamon and ginger become more prominent, and a bit of sandalwood does make its presence known, thank goodness. This fragrance certainly improves with time, and becomes a medium-bodied spice scent, though I'm not sure I want to wade through the trenches that are the opening notes to get to the good part, even for a great price!

02 November, 2008