Écusson (1947)
by Long Lost Perfume (originally by Jean D'Albret)

Écusson information

Year of Launch1947

HouseLong Lost Perfume
Originally byJean D'Albret
Parent CompanyIrma Shorell

Reviews of Écusson

Imagine if you took the heart of No.5 and transplanted it into the body of Shalimar, the result would be something like Écusson.

Once the pink aldehydic floral and the sweet powdery background have merged - and the thing finally gets going - this strange hybrid is actually very good. The problem is it takes a couple of hours for the opening gambit of bergamot, citrus and florals to settle down and until it does the first part is quite off colour.

It would be nice to see this done in a less wobbly composition because it's an unusual idea that does have some merit. In the hands of a skilled perfumer Écusson could have been convincing, but as it stands it's more of a curiosity than anything.

***

Jean d'Albret version, Eau de Toilette
05th November, 2018
I have a vintage bottle by Jean D'albret. The aldehydes on top are "dark". The citrus note(s) are long gone. Slight bit of cassis and iris are present, if I inhale deeply. In the heart (which reveals itself rather quickly) I get carnation, dirty jasmine, rose, and mild geranium. Ylang Ylang shows up later. The base smolders with vetiver, sandalwood, oakmoss, and vanilla. The jasmine lingers until the end.

I owned a bottle of this in the late 80's. It pretty much smells as I remember it. This is a colder weather perfume with a vibe reminiscent of others released in the 70's and 80's [or before]. Old style, ladylike, timeless.
23rd September, 2018
Nice light powdery tobacco floral

This vintage scent (1947) intrigued me from its bottle on Ebay. I found a vintage mini and tested it a few times. The scent is reminiscent of so many early perfumes from the thirties and forties (Shocking, Replique among them). A nice soft tobacco, woody scent. The problem is that it disappears almost immediately, making it impractical to invest in it.

I found the same thing true of Houbigant's APERCU - similar scent, disappears almost instantly.

A shame, because I truly wanted to like this one.

Pros: Nice smelling
Cons: Disappears completely in ten minutes

13th June, 2013
Écusson was one of the first bottles of perfume in my vintage collection of scents. I have a 1/2 ounce bottle of the parfum , which judging from the other bottles I've seen, is from the 1960's or earlier. The ground glass stopper was frozen on when I acquired it and it remained that way for years. When I finally got curious enough to get the top open, I dismissed the scent, as my nose and my perfume knowledge were not yet sophisticated enough to understand Écusson and place it within a context at that time. This morning I put it on after all these years and I can finally say I "get it". While it won't make my TOP 25 list, I can say that it is a very soft, beautiful and well-blended aldehydic, powdery, floral with a base of soft woods, vanilla and musk. If you like Chanel No. 5, L'Interdit and other powdery florals in that vein, you'll love Écusson, because as cheryl said, it's very smooth. I can say that I like this enough that I'll now be reaching for it more often, especially on those mornings when I need something soft and mellow to start my day. Sillage is moderate.
29th November, 2012
I was given a little shield shaped tourist bottle of Ecusson as a young teen in Paris in 1958.....so of course in my mind the scent evokes morning sunlight on shutters, café complet...

I have another little shield bottle now..it is a gentle floral that is perfectly friendly & slightly romantic, not overpowering, so I can wear it for an "evening out"! I save it to wear for a friend who has French sensibilities & French roots.
18th June, 2012 (last edited: 21st June, 2012)
I am sampling a vintage perfume, but not sure the exact age. When it first arrived I dismissed it as...something too old to enjoy. Then a few months later I tried again and let it sit on my skin. I assumed it was a masc. barbershop fragrance. Too me it smells like incredibly smooth and expensive shaving cream. Then I was able to get some more nuances, cream woods and and a tidge of chanel-like rich velvet depth. I believe there is ylang ylang in this...and I can almost tell. There is nothing remotely citrus in my vintage edition. But it's still very seductive on the skin and nicely comforting. It's smooth, baby.
28th April, 2010