Indiscret (1935)

Reorchestrated in 1997.

Indiscret fragrance notes

Reviews of Indiscret

KLRich Show all reviews
After wearing this for awhile I have changed my opinion of it. I still love the scent, it is luscious on my skin. All the notes that everyone says is there I smell. It does change occasionally on me though. The one thing that bugs me though is -again on me- it has very low sillage and it does not last very long. It could be the formulation; I have to different bottle designs and each one is different, one wears longer than the other.
Having said all that it is my all time favorite-so far!
07th June, 2015 (last edited: 11th June, 2015)
rbaker Show all reviews
The opening on my skin is a delicious mix of dried orange and galbanum, later brightened up a bit by some bergamot. The drydown is chracterised mainly by a dark velvety rose, with iris, a touch of geranium, ylang-ylang and jasmine in the background. Throughout this a dark, rich, waxy and resinous tone is penetrating this composition, and even when some dark-wood elements appear in the base, this waxiness still remains very evident. For the last couple of hours a pleasant powderiness gives it a traditional twist.

The projection and sillage are very good, and I get a marvelous ten hours of longevity from it. This is a great dark fruity-floral classic. Traditional and modern, classic but bold. 4.5/5.
15th December, 2014
To my nose and on my skin this is a fresh green floral scent with a warm, resinous base. It is quite light and attractive - very much of 1935 when it premiered.

Barbara Herman jots its notes as carnation, bergamot, mandarin on top with a heart of rose and jasmine, lying on an amber, vanilla base. It is described as a spicy animalic oriental, but none of those words capture my experience of light spring green on warm forest floor.

Lauren Bacall's signature scent - quite subtle and quite classy all the way.
25th February, 2014
BayKAT Show all reviews
This is a scent I sampled blind, so I want to write up my impressions before I see the notes or read much more on it. My sample is from the late 60s.

I thought this was a citrus floral with an anemic base. No oakmoss, sandalwood, or amber to weight it down. Maybe a hint of a dry wood, but for the most part it is a soft white, springtime fresh, kelly green fragrance. Bergamot is present immediately, and I suspected a jasmine or lily influence. Since I had nothing else to go by, the rest of my impression was meditative:

This is a something I would reach for if I were anxious about something and needed to step back and view it in a more detached manner. At first I thought this was a happy scent, but then I changed my mind. This is a wise scent, and with wisdom comes serenity. The 'white' aspect I picked up on didn't feel right here, it brought a purity aspect that was out of touch. This is fresh scent that carries the promise of a new beginning, as long as you can accept that your ending was something to embrace and not to run from.

But certainly a spring time scent carrying the hope of rebirth. I would say this is a 'warm weather' scent or a 'cold weather', but a scent for a coastal climate (something in between)
10th April, 2011
A little beauty, a treasure, a darling. A self-possessed floral with a soft hint of spice. Opening with a sharp-to-soft welcome of jasmine and orange flower, opening up to a warm, but ultimately sheer, golden bath of neroli and ylang-ylang. A strongly held middle yields eventually to a pretty violetty, powdery base. Resolutely of its era, but giving force to the notion that 'what is old is now new'. I found this a satisfyingly 'vintage' scent, while also somehow surprisingly modern.
19th September, 2008
For years, I have only smelled this in a vintage bottle. It's notes are Mandarin, orange flower, bergamot, orchid, neroli, iris, mostly becoming orange flower and bergamot on dry down. The vintage version is a somewhat resinous mixture, but is very warm and pleasant, like lying in the sun near rock rose in spring. Not that it smells of rock rose, but the resin is in there somewhere.

Recently, I got ahold of some of those little ampules from the 1950s and sampled Indiscret again, this time with less aging. It's still lovely, but the fresher sample lacked the resinous edge, coming out as a light, crisp summer scent softened by the Neroli. If there's Iris in there, it's buttery, not green, and any Orchid is simply another layer in the build. Not entirely orange blossom, but something more like a bouquet of fresh golden-toned flowers on a clear day.

I recommend this one in any form, so long as the vintage hasn't turned off. (Huge bottles are still available on ebay) Also of note; if Shalimar goes too powdery on your skin, this will too. All my notes on this experiment are based on my sister's chemistry, as I have never been able to wear Shalimar or Indiscret. She can wear both and Indiscret has been a favorite of hers for years.
26th May, 2007

Vintage Indiscret Lucien LeLong .25 Oz Eau De Parfum Miniature Mini New Perfume

End Date: Friday Jan-25-2019 16:50:07 PST
Buy It Now for only: $19.95
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

Rare Vintage Deux 2 Lucien Lelong Tailspin & Indiscret Cologne .7 fl oz w/ Box!

End Date: Friday Jan-25-2019 20:27:48 PST

Vintage Lucien Lelong Indiscret Cologne 0.16 Fl Oz. 95% Full RARE FIND

End Date: Tuesday Jan-29-2019 18:58:32 PST
Buy It Now for only: $26.24
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

Vintage NOS Lucien Lelong Indiscret Cologne Concentrate Spray 2 oz Cologne - IOB

End Date: Tuesday Jan-29-2019 21:22:02 PST
Buy It Now for only: $9.95

HUGE 6 OZ Indiscret Perfumed Dusting Bath Powder Lucien Lelong RARE SEALED

End Date: Wednesday Jan-30-2019 7:14:29 PST
Buy It Now for only: $85.00

Member images of Indiscret

There are no member images of Indiscret yet. Why not be the first?