Soie Rouge (1988)

Soie Rouge information

Year of Launch1988

HouseMaître Parfumeur et Gantier

About Soie Rouge

Soie Rouge is a feminine perfume by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier. The scent was launched in 1988

Soie Rouge fragrance notes

Reviews of Soie Rouge

2.3.15
i don't know all the terms.
smells flowery , but chalky, powdery, feminine, like my grandmother, or a scented pincushion from the 1890's
not for me.

03rd February, 2015
Genre: Floral

Soie Rouge centers on a straightforward two-part accord of bright, sweet fruit and aldehydic carnation. Straightforward, but not necessarily commonplace. Fruity floral scents are ubiquitous nowadays, but most are built of berries and rose, not peach and carnation. I suspect there may be a reason for this: in the company of peaches the cloves-and-cinnamon aspect of carnation leaves the impression of a pie that's fallen into a heap of potpourri. Interesting? Yes. Alluring? Not so much.

Soie Rouge trips along on a more-or-less linear path for a good four hours or so before morphing into its extended drydown. While the base notes supposedly include musk, sandalwood, and ambergris, the drydown accord smells like rose and patchouli to me. In fact, it reminds me a bit of Voleur de Roses(!) in its later stages.

After a couple of wearings I remain on the fence in regard to Soie Rouge. Granted, it's not your ordinary carnation scent, and it's not your usual fruity floral scent; but then it's not all that compelling either. As I wear Soie Rouge I keep wanting more depth or complexity out of it - or better yet, just another degree or two of strangeness.
03rd July, 2014
I wasn’t quite sure what to make of this—something about the opening gives me a LV Piper Nigrum flashback—the same kind of peppery / spicy discordance that opens PN. It’s probably pepper, but it’s also the carnation, as calchic says. I never before realized that carnation could contribute so much in taking over a scent. I don’t really like the top because of the messy blast it offers, but it isn’t long before the discord dissipates and the fragrance settles down a nice but characterless skin scent—very little sillage comes off my skin. I don’t pick up very much in the nature of fruit notes except for the pineapple, which comes across rather weak and actually not very genuine. The scent remains basically a rather non-dominant spicy carnation supported by some quiet musk. Soie Rouge has quite good longevity. It is appropriate for both genders, as IPaid said.

Originally submitted 24 May 2007
10th December, 2010
angelica Show all reviews
An interesting mix of reviews. This is my favourite carnation and the only one I own and wear. To me it seems to be a headspace carnation, so the other elements popping in and out of focus are notes that amplify different aspects of the carnation - fruity, sweet, spicy. I agree that it smells red, and also spare and elegant, whereas Bellodgia to me smells too sweet and pink, and a big fussy pink meringue of a dress at that. This dress is not only silk, but fitted.
19th February, 2010
As carnation in large doses is often wont to do, the carnation in Soie Rouge just pretty much ends up trampling everything else to dust in this fragrance. You get peach and apricot and carnation and then pineapple and musk and carnation and then more and more carnation with not a lot else left to stand up to it. If you enjoy straight, largely unadulterated carnation, go for it; the fruit notes of Soie Rouge are oddly artificial anyway (odd particularly because MPG generally handles fruit notes so beautifully) so you don't really miss them a whole lot once they're gone. But for my money, Caron Bellodgia is a much more interesting carnation scent, made far more mysterious than carnation ordinarily shows itself to be thansk to a brush with a dark, incense-y accord and a smoothing dose of vanilla. Soie Rouge is perhaps my least favorite MPG though I would not call it a bad fragrance, just rather plain.
21st September, 2005
Soie Rouge is from the womens line. It deserves mention here, because it is unique. Soie Rouge is an audacious blend of Carnation, fruit, and pepper. This goes on smelling very floral, but soon the fruit and pepper accords come out and create one of the most unusual fragrances. It is very true to its name in that it smells very ‘red’. Soie Rouge is a very red. This could easily be worn by both genders.
18th September, 2005

Add your review of Soie Rouge

Shop for Soie Rouge products online

Shop for Soie Rouge at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Soie Rouge

Member images of Soie Rouge

There are no member images of Soie Rouge yet. Why not be the first?