Or des Indes Fragrance notes

Bergamot, Geranium, Opoppanax, Lavender, Sandalwood, Amber, Vanilla

Shop for Or des Indes products online

Reviews of Or des Indes

Showing 1 to 6 of 14 reviews.

Darvant's avatar
    Darvant

Romantic and delicately vintage

Complex, in spite of my first impression (at the beginning infact i supposed to "face" a flat and linear white powdery usual cloud). I detect indeed (or suppose to detect) for a while (after a first spray) the olfactory association with Ambre Precieux and with some powdery/talky (bit aldehydic) concoctions a la Heliotrope Etro, Phul-Nana Grossmith or Ambre et Vanille E.Coudray etc etc. Actually the citrus/white musk/lavender/geranium marked presence (plus the rose/incense standout combo) since the top till the dry down turns this scent finally out in to a (for long) more humid and spicy/honeyed, dusty/ethereal and articulated concoction with a sort of airy and vaguely rosey/vintage (yes slightly make up-waxy and mossy/leathery type) and nostalgic temperament, actually closer to l'Heure Bleue, to some mossy/animalic "soapy/neutral" chypre or to some spicy/rosey/honeyed concoctions of the past a la Caron Parfum Sacre. Anyway i detected a great scent which is not just powdery in a linear way but more articulated and humid, floral and hesperidic, more properly changeful and rich of nuances (hesperidic, incensey, rosey, balmy/honeyed and talky). A great take on the nostalgic and romantic side.

Pros: Complex
    Cons: Any "

22 August, 2013

gmstrack's avatar
    gmstrack

Powder

Or Des Indes by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier opens with a puff of aldehydes and powdery notes and immediately reminds me of Ombre Rose L'Original by Jean Charles Brosseau. Like OR, ODI has a vintage makeup bag vibe and eventually evolves into powdery resins and soft honeyed woods. Touches of lavender, iris, and rose serve to round out this composition. I definitely categorize ODI as a fragrance that smells like vintage makeup and powdered resins; for example, Drole de Rose, L'Heure Bleue, and Chantilly can be considered as sister fragrances. Did I mention that ODE is powdery? :)

08 July, 2013

Bal a Versailles's avatar
    Bal a Versailles

A Persian Magic Carpet Ride

TVlampboy declared Or des Indes as the elegant richer sister of Bal a Versailles,( but not the older) This is repeated by other enthusiasts on on other blogs. It is spot on. Bal is Zsa Zsa and Or is Eva. I purchased the eau de parfum in my search to replace the Bal in my affections and I am very pleased with Or des Indes EDP. The EDT has drawn criticism for its stickability. Ten hours later this sensational fragrance is clinging to my clothes as if my breton fisherman's jersey was haute couture. Perfume notes are perfectly described in other reviews but I wish to emphasis the understated largesse of this creation. I love Alahine, very similar, but the honey in A is replaced here with the most masterful blending of spice and sandalwood in the drydown I have ever been transported by. I was worried about 'metallic' references, the thing that bothers me in Flora Bella. There are no metallic undertones in the EDP. If you like Bal a Versailles (now just a parody of its former self) and Orientals in general this is a must try. Beautiful bottle, quality spray. Gold standard.

Pros: Rich, mellow, Soft, Inspiring and Tenacious
    Cons: Similar to others

23 May, 2013

rogalal's avatar
    rogalal

I've quite enjoyed getting to know Or Des Indes. I can tell that it's technically a chypre - it's got that fusion that happens when bergamot meets moss - but that's in the background. The main smell is largely methyl ionone, that chemical in Knize Ten and Mitsouko that smells like doughy suede. Aside from the chypre elements, this is also ornamented with a polite amber, that classic "orinetal" smell you get from mixing sandalwood and patchouli, a pinch of powdery poop, and a sweet fruity smell that reminds me of a green version of Mitsouko's peach skin note. It's got an awful lot going on at once, but pulls it off very skillfully. All in all, it smells like a classic French "oriental" perfume like Bal A Versailles with elements of Mitsouko thrown in.

And I guess that's the problem. The biggest sin that Or Des Indes commits is reminding me of perfumes that I like better. Part of it is definitely the concentration - it's kind of timid and I can't help but think that this could positively soar as an extrait. But really, it's got the feel of Bal A Versailles without the epic skank, the bready spiced suede of Knize Ten without the balancing florals, and the doughy peach chypre ingredients of Mitsouko without the magic.

All in all, I still think Or Des Indes is a very good perfume and deserves a thumbs up. I'll gladly take a weak mash-up of Mitsouko and Bal A Versailles over some stupid perfume that smells like a candy flavor. That being said, were I in the mood for something like this, there are 4 or 5 unabashed masterpieces that I'd reach for before Or Des Indes.

26 July, 2012

foetidus

What I get out of this fragrance is a bit strange, and I don’t identify with what some of the other reviewers are saying. For instance, I don’t get any sweet (except the opoponax itself) and I get a bare minimum of citrus out of the opening. My nose is overwhelmed by an unattractive metallic-leathery accord from the start. I get some opoponax, and there are wood and spices, but the whole fragrance has rather metallic-leathery tinges to it in the top notes and, to a lesser amount, in the mid notes. Normally I love opoponax in fragrances—one of my favorite notes. With Or Des Indes the opoponax is muted and leathery—I’d prefer it rich, sweet, and powdery. And while I’m not exactly enamored of metallic accords, I don’t remember having such an adverse reaction to them: Maybe it’s the particular combination of sandalwood and opoponax that produces that accord that seems so annoying to my nose, or maybe there’s some unnamed leather or castoreum in this fragrance. The accords do improve significantly after an hour…they get very pleasant, but they never get really interesting in my opinion; in fact, with the loss of the annoyance, the fragrance becomes soft, powdery; and that’s the complete story of the drydown—soft, powdery and lacking in interest. Or Des Indes does have a warm ambiance and it has mild sillage, but my nose catches that irritating background note that is difficult for me to ignore, and the drydown is too passive and lacking in interest.

Originally submitted 06 April 2007

10th December, 2010 (Last Edited: 07 June, 2011)

Morgaine's avatar
    Morgaine

First things first: this should not have been labeled a feminine any more than Mitsouko should have been. In other words, it's thoroughly unisex.

This is a strangely appealing concoction of cracked, aged leather, something bitter and medicinal, a dusty, unsweet opoponax and the usual oriental amber-and-vanilla fare. Unapologetically weird, I would call it. Having lately sampled George Sand from this same house, I see some resemblance to that one, only minus the patch. Which is nothing but A Very Good Thing, IMO. I am certain this one will not appeal to everyone, but I shall treasure the tiny amount I have.

15 December, 2009