Vivre (1971)

PackagingSerge Mansau
Parent CompanyGroupe Berdoues
Parent Company at launchElf Aquitaine > Sanofi Beauté

About Vivre

Vivre is a feminine perfume by Molyneux. The scent was launched in 1971 and the bottle was designed by Serge Mansau

Reviews of Vivre

A luxurious scent that evokes images of the epitome of feminine elegance and style.My mother told me:"this is my all time favourite perfume in the world,my day wasent be complete without one or two spray of VIVRE". That's right.i remember from the time i was child,it was her scent. she wore it everyday,without fail,then this is a exclusive review for my mother. Legendary,Gorgeous, Classy,Floral, Rich,Timeless,Intrepid and Ladylike.

VIVRE is a fresh white floral with a deep mosy woods drydown. perfect blend of true class and hidden mystery.this feminine scent possesses a blend of subtle notes of aldehyde and high powdery floral notes like jasmine,rose and orange blossom with a rich combination of lower accents including sandalwood,tonka bean and oakmoss..the dry down is interestingly great.

VIVRE is a elegant and refinde scent for the sophisticated is a heavenly scent that stays with you all day.this unforgettable perfume is one of the most influential creations in the whole of perfume's history.A real classic perfume for a real classic lady who attend class and style,just like my mother.i never forget this review,MOTHER, I LOVE YOU!

Longevity?Lasts and Lasts.

01st June, 2015
A dry green herbal chypre featuring a smooth body of lilac, cyclamen and jasmin. Rose and aldehydes act as the main modifiers. Musk ambrette in the base.

Thanks to Max Gavarry for his analysis of an Osmothèque reconstruction.

The drydown is a powerful combination of cosmetics and tweed; deeply unfashionable.
28th May, 2015
My vintage edt of VIVRE has nothing in common with the experiences of the other two reviewers on this page.

My nose tells me it is a warm floral chypre, very close in identity to Schiaparelli's 1937 classic, Shocking, whose notes were:

Top: Bergamot, Tarragon
Heart: Rose, Honey, Narcissus
Base: Clove, Civet

The notes referred to in Zut's review are as follows:

Top: aldehydes, coriander, green leaves, bergamot
Heart: iris, orange blossom, jasmine, hiacynth, ylang-ylang, lily-of-the-valley, rose
Base: leather, sandalwood, tonka bean, oakmoss, vetiver, myrrh

Only the Bergamot is held in common. I am under the impression that these other two experiences of a scent that is "vibrant and modern" and has a "metallic sharpness" have nothing in common with the scent I am experiencing.

It is a puzzlement. My Vivre is a wonderful experience for my nose, but I fear the other reviewers have experienced a re-formulated version. In any case, I can heartily recommend the vintage, although puzzled that such an old-fashioned scent would be released as late as 1971. Best to sniff before you purchase, depending on your taste.
05th February, 2015
Top: Aldehydes, coriander, green leaves, bergamot
Base: leather, sandalwood, tonka bean, oakmoss, vetiver, myrrh

Vivre is a very joyful fragrance. It is a vibrant and modern floral aldehyde that could almost pass for a light floral in spite of its quite impressive base note palette. In fact, the dark and earthy base notes remain rather discreet. Once the dryer top notes subside to make way for the luscious floral heart, the base elements slowly appear and make the entire composition softer and slightly sweeter. Vivre is young and flowery but it has a lot of character. I am sorry it is no longer as popular as it used to be in the 70's and early 80's.
14th July, 2012
I have long been of the opinion the classic women's fragrances can be easily sorted into two distinct categories : the 'Come Hithers' and the 'Stand Backs'.

I find that I can instantly determine which of these two types any fragrance is; it's fail safe. Try it for yourselves. (If I had to include modern fragrances, I would be forced to add a third category: the 'I am a Babys', but I digress..)

The 'Come Hithers' are designed to enhance womanly attractiveness. These are the scents, which men wish to bury their noses in, which linger on our scarves and perfume our tousled sheets. They are suggestive, inviting and above all, they create an informal relationship between their wearers and their admirers, even in the most formal settings. This is the particular power of the 'Come Hither' -- to break the proverbial ice, to offer up something intimate, yet arguably 'proper'. Notable classics, which fall into this category are: 'First' by Van Cleef and Arpels, 'Bal a Versailles', 'Diva' by Ungaro, 'Coco' by Chanel, 'Madame Rochas', and 'Opium', to name just a few.

Conversely, the 'Stand Backs' are designed to imply their wearer's cool reserve, elegance, and --most of all--reigned-in sensuality. That is not to say, that they aren't very beautiful, they usually are! But they warn their audience to keep a distance: "This is not the time nor the place for play"; "Take me seriously"; "Respect me."; "Admire me from afar"... That said, I would never go as far as to call these scents *de-sexed*! In fact, the sort of unrequited, secret temptation a reserved, aloof woman might inspire, could be especially haunting! Classics, which fall into *this* category are: The great 'Chanel 19', 'Chamade' by Guerlain, 'Quartz' by Molyneaux, 'Private Collection' by Lauder, 'Cabochard', '1000' by Patou, and 'Diorella' by Dior, to name a few.

But of all the 'Stand Backs' I know, 'Vivre' most capably 'does the job'. This fragrance is at once perfectly beautiful and pristinely 'untouchable'. It holds the same mystifying, venerable, yet delicate quality as Bernini's Venus, Rappacini's daughter, Grace Kelly, or priceless porcelain from Meissen! Truly it is lovely; Truly it is 'not for you'; Perhaps, it is even deadly...

This fragrance opens with considerable citrus and aldehydes, but quickly dries down to reveal its cool, smooth character. 'Vivre' boasts a metallic sharpness that is more potent than any others; it is even more cutting than the old 'Rive Gauche'! Yet it somehow stays super slick, and never grates or grinds, or makes dust... like marble polished so smooth it looks and feels wet.

Finally, women who get a kick out of these old 'boardroom scents' would be really missing out, by overlooking 'Vivre'. I personally think it's the best one. I personally think it leaves Chanel 19 in the dust.
02nd November, 2009

Add your review of Vivre

Shop for Vivre products online

Search Amazon for Vivre

Member images of Vivre

There are no member images of Vivre yet. Why not be the first?

Related forum threads