Gauloise (1980)

• Perfumer: Unknown - Let us know
    • Bottle Designer: Warot

Average Rating:

Gauloise information

Gauloise is a women's fragrance by Molyneux. The scent was launched in 1980 and the bottle was designed by Warot

Reviews of Gauloise

Showing 1 to of 6 reviews.
    positive 6 Positive Reviewsneutral No Neutral Reviews • negative 1 Negative Reviews

JBHoren's avatar

I continue to be amazed that Gauloise is marketed as a "feminine" scent. It remains one of my favorite afterscents, and my go-to EDT following a straight-razor shave with QED "Wild Rose" shaving soap -- the combination is pleasantly aromatic, especially so for the two-decades-long ex-smoker.

22 November, 2013

Johannes's avatar

Norway Norway

The name has nothing to do with the brand of cigarettes (also defunct) but rather alludes to the archetypical French woman: La Gauloise: The Gallic woman. It was a powdery floral with a personality. Vive la France!

07 July, 2012 (Last Edited: 10th September, 2012)

msveronica9's avatar

I find it interesting that a fragrance with this name and style of packaging turns out to be a feminine. The Perfume Intelligence database describes Gauloise as a "fresh green mossy woods powdery-floral aldehyde", and that agrees very much with what I smell.

Gauloise is a popular brand of strong cigarettes produced in France since 1910. The styling of the flacon in the photo (an open cigarette packet), leaves little doubt that this fragrance pays homage to its namesake tobacco sticks. As such, I was initially surprised that Gauloise (the perfume) had no discernible tobacco note - but if it was targeted at smokers, I guess there'd be no need. This fragrance may have been designed to compliment (and probably freshen) the ashtray odours of the person wearing it.

The strangeness (to my eyes at least) of this fragrance's marketing highlights the decline of smoking culture worldwide, which is no bad thing. But it's a shame that Molyneux's Gauloise is also fading into the past, because it really is a delicate, beautiful scent (if rather fleeting, at least in EDT form). If you love fresh aldehydic florals and come across a bottle of this almost-forgotten treasure, I urge you to give it a try.

01st September, 2011

Gauloise's avatar

While it is a floral, it has a musky sensuality to it as well. It has 'legs' too, lasting for several hours as the scent evlolves Every time I wear this I get stopped by both men and women asking me what fragrance I'm wearing. I can tell you the men definitely love it on me when I wear it!

09 January, 2010

brooklynlou's avatar

Smells waxy - like lipstick. Pass.

08 December, 2008

paloma54's avatar

I believe that Gauloise is possibly a mistake of packaging design. For those of us who find cigarette smoke obnoxious, the idea of a perfume resembling a cigarette package is not exactly an attractive concept, and I think that subconciously it hinders me from wearing this lovely perfume. Every time I spray it on, I'm impressed with its beauty and resolve to wear it more often. It really is a classically beautiful aldehydic floral, with a clarity which reminds me of the other Molyneux perfume I adore: Vivre!

27 October, 2005