Maja (1921)

About Maja

Maja is a feminine perfume by Myrurgia. The scent was launched in 1921

Maja fragrance notes

Reviews of Maja

I am reviewing a vintage cologne mini. I am at first struck by the balance and blending. Expecting something more raw and in your face, I instead inhale a lovely soft floral bouquet, which at the same time is spicy without being pungent or sharp. Top: Bergamot, Geranium, Carnation, Rosemary; Middle: Neroli, Nutmeg, Jasmine, Lavender, Clove, Rose.

The base notes of which there are nine are most impressively blended for the dry down: Base: Patchouli, Cypress, Vetiver.

It's very much of its period (1921) - beware the reformulations from 1960 onwards. Soft and feminine, but at the same time sultry and spicy.

Myrurgia was the Barcelona-based equivalent of Guerlain in Spain, its first and some say still its best fragrance house.

Maja is a lovely scent, quite unisex and appropriate for all occasions.

Second Edit - Upon more exposure to this, I am reminded very much of Lanvin's Mon Peche (My Sin), which followed three years later.
07th August, 2017 (last edited: 18th August, 2017)
I have been wearing this scent since the early 1980's. It has changed. It is still a great go-to fragrance.

It used to be spicier, more tart. Carnation, cloves, rose, geranium, and lavender do make a compelling combination. Throw in some citrus and you have a traditional oriental with old-fashioned flair. Maja is a perfect casual scent that is perfect for spring, summer, or autumn.

If you can find the eau de parfum or pure perfume, jump on it. These formulas project more strongly. I currently only have the e.d.t.
30th May, 2017
I am such a lucky lady.

I started reviewing my perfume collection & thinking about Basenotes the day I found a lovely vintage box with 2 soaps & unopened Maja scent FROM SPAIN at my favorite thrift store.

I have to admit that I was so sensuously greedy I opened the bottle to wear it. You only live once, you know. (I had had a Maja mini long ago).

The scent is frisky & spicy...oranges, roses, clove....like Mediterranean sunshine, or like a wonderful pomander, in the middle of winter.

06th July, 2012
I used to wear this fragrance many years ago and I loved it. I forgot about it for a while and happened upon the new 'improved' version - vile. The old fragrance was the same as the soap and totally unlike the current version. I'd prefer that they actually discontinue a fragrance rather than butcher it the way they have.
10th August, 2011
I have loved the soap for years. But when I tried the EdT I was somewhat disappointed, it just doesn't have the zing of the soap scent. Too bad!
14th May, 2011
I remeber 13 or 14 years ago i'v recieved a colonge splash version of this perfume. and i remeber it was more
spicer Stronger with more Incense and more Peppery and i fell in love with
the scent and i coudent wait to get it
again when i finished the splash.
and now i got a mini size of the perfume
i was so Dissapointed they changed to formula they made it watery Mens aftershave. i coudent belive it.
what happed to the Maja! they made it tame! I want to Fire back To the Maja
The old Formula Add more Cinnamon
Civet Leather Incense Benzion.

12th February, 2011

Add your review of Maja

Shop for Maja products online

Shop for Maja at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Maja