Farouche (1974)
    by Nina Ricci

Average Rating: 4

Based on 41 ratings

Farouche information

Farouche is a women's fragrance by Nina Ricci. The scent was launched in 1974 and the bottle was designed by Marc Lalique

Reviews of Farouche

Showing 1 to 6 of 9 reviews.
    positive 6 Positive Reviewsneutral No Neutral Reviews • negative 3 Negative Reviews

buren's avatar

I love Farouche. I AM an old lady, but very picky about scent nowadays, especially because so many people are becoming chemically sensitive. Often I put scent on at night, just for myself.

Farouche has some delicate floral high notes, but these warm into a base of woody grassy notes..a forest in sunshine..."wild thing"....

26 March, 2014

Fleurine's avatar

Top notes: aldehydes, mandarin orange, galbanum, peach and bergamot
    Middle notes: honeysuckle, carnation, iris, lily, clary sage, jasmine, lily-of-the-valley rose, geranium and cardamom
    Base notes: sandalwood, amber, musk, oakmoss and vetiver

Count me in as a Farouche fan! This is a grand Parfum in the classic French style. A creamy, snowy white floral with a generous pouf of aldehydes, and a springtime twig of green over a mildly powdery warm base. The reason this type of fragrance can seem to smell generic, is because they have been imitated and copied so many times, but Farouche is an original.
    To me Farouche is a pretty princess scent, opening very formal and dressy but slowly evolving into wholesome, warm, flowery/powder/soapy innocence. Farouche is a girl-next-door in an old world French neighborhood.

22 January, 2012

Shifty Bat's avatar

Screaming sour aldehydes followed by a faceless entourage of florals that are not supported but trampled by the classic masculine base.
    Farouche should have been a good fragrance. It walked the fine line between acceptable and dangerously chic and fell. I am very accepting and understanding for a man of my youth and (admitted) inexperience, but this concoction could never be construed as 'modern' and even flounders over 'pretty.' These flowers were long ignored in their vase.

31st March, 2011

Avalon16's avatar

I have to disagree with the 'Thumbs Down' duo, regarding Farouche.
    I have that strange skin phenomenon, which means that I can't wear eau d'toilette - as it disappears within 15 minutes - and even very good quality perfume smells like cat's p** on me.
    I grew up with a gaggle of aunts, who all wore a range of perfume, from the cheap and cheerful, to the expensive and exclusive.
    As a teenager, I thought the expensive 'posh' stuff included Chanel No 5, Je Reviens, Miss Dior and more modern fragrances, such as Rive Gauche and Ma Griffe - all of which I would pinch with gay abandon. But I couldn't wear any of them, as they all smelled awful after half an hour.
    Then, when I was in my 20s, a new boyfriend came along who wanted to buy me something nice for my birthday. I told him I was a non-perfume wearer because of 'my problem' and he took it upon himself to search out something I could wear.
    Enter Farouche, which became my 'signature scent' and I was always happy to receive said boyfriend's gifts of fragrance, dusting powder and even soap - previously a definite no-no'. It was the only fragrance I had ever tried which a) stayed with me and b) stayed true to the component notes of the formula.
    Foolishly, I never thought that Nina Ricci would pull the plug on Farouche production, which appeared to happen without me noticing. I tried to panic-buy, but I couldn't find anything in Britain. Even friends travelling to France came back empty-handed, so I was resigned to vowing that one day I'd save up enough to go on a 'make your own perfume' course.
    Then about three years ago, a friend bought me a set of six mini-fragrance bottles, one of which was Farouche. I was over the moon - until I tried to use it.
    The first 'hit' was alcohol, bringing after it a floral fragrance. But this wasn't rose, jasmine, lilly of the valley, or anything else that grows in my garden.
    So, no disrespect to the 'Thumbs Down' duo, but unless you've stumbled upon a vintage cache of Farouche, you haven't experienced the real thing.
    I have joined Basenotes today, with the express intention of finding out as much as I can about fragrances and perfume production, so that I can (hopefully) recreate that fantastic Farouche fragrance for myself.
    The original fragrance was both floral and sensuous, and long-lasting. Because of the blend of lighter elements with deeper scents, it could be worn through the day into evening - something I don't think you can do with a fragrance like Coco, which I always think of as a night-time fragrance, as I find it quite 'heavy'.
    I can't remember if there is a sell-by date, or production date, on Farouche bottles or packaging, but if anyone stumbles across some old stuff, I'd advise them to buy it and sell it on - I'd definitely be a willing customer!

25 March, 2011

bookwyrmsmith's avatar

Quality fragrance that isn't my style Pass the salt please .I need to eat my words!
    Yes ,Farouche is aldahydic but it has a absolutely lovely green topnote and the chypre-floral rest of it is nice too .
    I guess my nose had to "grow into "this one .It is a lovely grown-up(not O.L.)elegant scent .
    Farouche , my apologies you will always have a place in my fragrance collection.

23 April, 2010 (Last Edited: 20th September, 2010)

TaoLady's avatar

On me a classy, old world and VERY French floral with citrusy undertones and a purring chypre presence. After the peachy tea laden opening the flowers burst into bloom that lingers for a long time over the woody moss.

Of course I love old fashioned power scents and this is a classic...loved it in the Seventies...love it now. NOT for the faint of heart.

23 March, 2010

Add your review of Farouche

Search for on eBay United States

NINA RICCI "Farouche" PARFUM 6ml - 1/5 fl.oz.
    • Listing Type: Auction
    • 2 Bid(s)
    • Time Left: 1 day
    HIGHEST BID
    Ebay United States
    (Shipping from Hong Kong)
    VINTAGE FRAGRANCE FAROUCHE NINA RICCI EAU DE PARFUM 1 OZ. BOTTLE