Norell (1968)

Norell information

Year of Launch1968

HouseNorell
PerfumerJosephine Catapano
Parent CompanyQuality King Distributors > Perfumania Holdings > Five Star Fragrances
Parent Company at launchRevlon Inc

About Norell

Norell is a feminine perfume by Norell. The scent was launched in 1968 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Josephine Catapano

Norell fragrance notes

Reviews of Norell

I remember I did a blind buy of this fragrance about ten years ago or so, it came with the body wash & lotion. I remember purchasing it because it was/still is very affordable & I said wth not?

When I first smelled this, it definitely is a vintage type fragrance if I could use that term ever so loosey... I knew from the first spray that this would not be for me as it is too floral with carnation & gardenia taking over & those are two florals that I detest so I put it up & never touch it again until about a few weeks ago.

A lovely fragrance friend of mine who lives out in the bay area in Cali loves vintage style frags so I gathered up a nice package with some samples & sent her the set, she was thrilled with this fragrance as she loves it. I am glad someone will get good use out of it & will actually enjoy it because I knew I was not.

I will give this fragrance credit for having good projection & longevity especially given the price point. I do enjoy my vintage types of fragrances, but this is a big thumbs down for me!
16th April, 2019
Vintage Norrell... A glorious, aromatic from days gone by. My formula is alive with galbanum, hyacinth, narcissus, coriander, and gardenia. The carnation isn't cranky; the jasmine isn't too dirty. There is a touch of cinnamon. The lily and rose smell old-fashioned. A smattering of cardamom, dark oakmoss, and tame vetiver round this out. I am depressed today and this makes me feel better. Reminds me of better times. Joyful times.
17th May, 2018
I didn't think this was still in production! My mother wore this, and colormechris got it right about how she wore it: she *did* bathe in it!

I gave this a thumbs' up, but only due to nostalgia. I don't remember enjoying this fragrance at all because Mom doused herself in it--really too much.

The fragrance and her application totally matched with her giant, bouffant, Priscilla-Presley teased hairdo, giant 30-carat topaz cocktail ring (a lot less expensive than it sounds), and giant hoop earrings. She was tall, slender with long legs, and she was a hoot.

Oh yeah I do have to give this a thumbs' up, even as I remember my eyes watering when she kissed me on leaving for the night.
27th March, 2018 (last edited: 29th March, 2018)
On the first spray, top notes smell like Aqua Net, and the drydown is bland and powdery...no thank you.
01st November, 2015
What can I say? This is just one of the classic fragrances from the 1960's. This bottle sits alongside Bandit by Robert Piguet and Cabochard by Parfums Gres. I love those two, as well as Norell, and wear all three interchangeably. If you want to smell like an elegant and affluent film star, wear NORELL! It is absolutely beautiful and timeless! A+!!! PS-Regarding Bandit, my vintage EDT smells a lot stronger than the current EDP! The new EDP seems to be missing something, i.e., its trademark undefinable mystery note. I've only got half a bottle left on my current bottle, and have an unopened and sealed bottle of Bandit EDT (which I will use very sparingly, or use to "seed" [adding a few drops to another similar fragrance] my Norell and Cabochard).
01st September, 2015 (last edited: 04th April, 2019)
Oviatt Show all reviews
This classy green floral chypre is one of the best things to come out of the 60s. Fresh and bitter but with a floral heart and musky, woody base, this shares a lot with its classmate Estee and the other Estee Lauder fragrances of that time, but it is so finely made and elegant that it leaves those others far behind. This was for the classy ladies who shopped at I. Magnin and drove 450SLs to lunch at the club. A throwback scent today, but still totally wearable, instantly recognizable as one of the great scents of our time, even if you cannot quite place it. This was touted as the "First Great Perfume Born In America" (I think that Evyan and Elizabeth Arden would have had something to say about that....). Perfumer Josephine Catapano also gave us Fidji, another great classy floral chypre scent. Designer Norman Norell, known for his elegant suits and sparkly evening dresses, never turned his talents to menswear, but I often wonder what would have been the result if he had ever created a men's scent to go with this one. We'll never know!
05th February, 2015

Vintage Norell Perfumed Milk Bath 4.3 oz new unboxed

End Date: Thursday Jan-23-2020 8:47:48 PST
Buy It Now for only: $50.00
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

Vintage NORELL PERFUME 1/2 Fl Oz Pure Parfum "Never Used"

End Date: Thursday Jan-23-2020 9:26:28 PST

NORELL EAU DE TOILETTE SPRAY 100 ML CLASSIC

End Date: Thursday Jan-23-2020 12:54:13 PST
Buy It Now for only: $269.50
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

Vintage Rare Norell Pure Perfume 1/4 oz -- Free Ship!

End Date: Thursday Jan-23-2020 15:42:09 PST