Volupté (1992)

PerfumerSophia Grojsman
PackagingPierre Dinand
Parent Company at launchElf Aquitaine > Sanofi Beauté

About Volupté

Volupté is a feminine perfume by Oscar de la Renta. The scent was launched in 1992 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Sophia Grojsman. The bottle was designed by Pierre Dinand

Volupté fragrance notes

Reviews of Volupté

Review for vintage EDT:

This bottle is truly striking in person, very art nouveau, with clean lines and a nice heft. The cap on the 1.7 oz splash bottle is a touch strange, as the angled form needs to be twisted until it sits perfectly flush. However, the seal seems to be quite good once it is fit properly, and I'm not seeing any leaks, despite there being no threads on the stopper.

My skin tends to eat florals, and my initial application left me wondering where the famed Volupte power was. A second application, trailing from wrist to elbow brought enlightenment.

To my nose, Volupte opens with bitter narcissus very much forward, supported by osmanthus. Where osmanthus frequently has a suede like scent to me, and occasionally smells of plums, this osmanthus reminds me strongly of apricot fruit leather- dense, more tart than sweet, distinctly tangy. The sillage, for some reason, reminds me of buttered toast...served first thing in the morning, with tea, and apricot preserves (osmanthus) eaten sitting in the sunshine. I'm not sure where this accord is coming from, but it is quite distinct, and surprisingly joyous.

The heart opens slowly, after more than an hour. Soft, sweet mimosa, faint LoV, the slightest touch of carnation appear. Then jasmine and cyclamen move forward, supported by the fantasy peony note. Throughout this phase the fantasy freesia note is present, but not plasticky, adding a sense of "gloss" to the scent. Eventually a touch of tuberose shows up, demure, almost shy, very unusual for this note.

In the dry down heliotrope and melon step forward, supported by sandalwood and a touch of incense. Start to finish, I would classify Volupte as cheerful, surprisingly fresh, and thoroughly unexpected. The very sweet notes are carried by the almost herbal, very green, bitter narcissus base. The fruits are not the sugared versions that have been prevalent for the past decade, but rather tart. The floral elements are blended with a beautifully light touch, and the sweetness they bring is glorious, and never overwhelming.

I had expected Volupte to be heavy, a cool weather scent. Instead this is one of the most light filled scents that I have encountered, serenely joyous, energizing, the sort of scent that reminds you to stop and experience the world around you. Volupte, to my mind, is not so much about voluptuousness in the sense of sex appeal, but rather the voluptuousness of fully experiencing the world around us, dwelling in the present, and mindfully engaging with the multitude of stimulation all around. For me, Volupte is a meditation retreat in a bottle, perfect for those times when you can't disappear for a week, but you really need a break.

This is a go to scent! On my skin it needs warm weather to really be apparent in all it's glory, but it is wearable year round, and I think it will be a wonderful anodyne to winter blahs. Elegantly casual, effortlessly chic. I feel like this is the perfect scent to wear when one isn't sure what note to hit, but needs to impress. Tremendously versatile, and a joy to experience.
13th September, 2015
Luscious, spicy violets with carnation, rose, freesia, heliotrope and amber very present in the mix, gradually fading into a sandalwood and patchouli base that retains the floral notes as well. I love this, and imagine it on a confident, feminine woman, most likely in a sultry tropical climate or mood. Vivid, colorful, and very sexy!

26th April, 2014
This harmonious and very well balanced perfume for me is a three-way paradox. First, I think it’s sweet and juicy but dry. Secondly, it is a soft fragrance but also rich and strong. Finally, it reminds me of boiled peanuts and sweet bananas, but I don’t feel like eating it. Do I like it? Yes, as well as the bottle it comes in (but darn that tricky lid).
24th November, 2012
Volupte is fairly green, powdery, and vanilla. It opens as a very fresh juicy floral, goes into woods, and then whispers along the skin as a powdery amber and vanilla.
14th August, 2012
This fragrance gets quite a bit of love on the Fragrantica forums. Volupte, while floral, is quite bold and ambery, a scent that will either charm you or revolt you.

It starts off okay, with a strong yet feminine floral opening, with a hint of sweet melon. As it settles it becomes sweeter and in some ways, harsher.

The complexity is pleasing, however I must admit that I found this fragrance too heavy on the sweet accords and the floral notes, especially in the heart. It's rich, thick aroma is one that will appeal to those with an acquired taste. I just didn't have the taste for this one.

The sillage and longevity are commendable, and before this begins to sound like a negative review, I do find this fragrance very unique and interesting.

It wasn't so strong that I felt like I was choking, yet it was one that made me feel a little dizzy every now and then, and I really applied lightly. The drydown was lovely however, a beautiful, powdery amber and incense blend with just a subtle hint of what had been featured before.
09th April, 2012
jujy54 Show all reviews
Volupté is a stylish green from Sophia Grojsman. I was surprised to find that it was launched in 1992, as the both sleek bottle and the stylized floral scent strike me as being from the 1960s of "Mad Men". Perhaps with that clear emerald green plastic cap acting as a cue, I am struck first by green notes and cucumber, then violet and heliotrope. Gentle woods and lingering earthiness mark the drydown. It is a well-mannered perfume, not complex, and not particularly voluptuous in my book. It is a lovely fit with early springtime. Put on a trim dress and kitten heels and wear this to work.

There is more to Volupté than I give credit. It became my go-to scent for the summer, precisely for it's notes, its well-balanced composition, and the fact that it doesn't give its secrets away all at once. I simply do not tire of it, as can happen with fragrances that are at the extremes of being either too bland or too quirky. It vibe is "put together sexy."
____________postscript to revision_______________
I finally figured out that Volupté is indeed voluptuous but in a vegetal rather than animal fashion. It has the complexity of Magie Noire done in an entirely different palette.
08th April, 2012 (last edited: 04th April, 2013)

Add your review of Volupté

Shop for Volupté products online

Shop for Volupté at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Volupté

Member images of Volupté

There are no member images of Volupté yet. Why not be the first?