La Nuit (1985)
    by Paco Rabanne

Reviews of La Nuit

Showing 1 to 6 of 16 reviews.
    positive 13 Positive Reviewsneutral3 Neutral Reviewsnegative No Negative Reviews

rbaker's avatar
    rbaker

A great iconic dark-animalic chypre.

For the vintage Eau de Parfum: An initial blast of citrus-with-herbs sets a fresh tone, but soon a dark, brooding rose appears, adding a harsh-floral note that is later amplified by a top-quality oakmoss with a mildly sweetish--dark drydown that has more added sharpness by a sinister patchouli aroma. The latter is dark, like a mulled version of Tom Ford's Purple Patchouli but overshadowed by the superb oakmoss. I also get a musky-animalic base note on my skin. Although harsh, it is never shrill and a far cry from the bright and loud chypres like Gucci Nobile. Silage and projection are very good, and it has a monster longevity of twelve (!) hours. A great iconic chypre.

22 May, 2013

foetidus

Had to try it... Turin’s candidate for the most animalic perfume. This might have been the ultimate animal at one time, but it isn’t now… not in this obviously reformulated version, anyway. This La Nuit EDT is very sexy, and gives a strong nod toward animalic, but I have smelled other chypres more animalic than this. I like this one very much – of course I do – it’s a chypre!… and an excellent one at that. At first it is rather linear and I get mostly woods, patchouli, and that animalic note… There’s a soft background rose note smoothing out the rougher elements of chypreness, and the accord is just plain delectable. It holds its linearity for an hour or more and then succumbs to the base accord, which picks up the oak moss and grows lighter. I do not get leather in this scent, for which I am grateful… I don’t even suspect it here.

On my skin La Nuit has a mild to average sillage and very good longevity – an excellent fragrance but not extremely animalic in this reformulated form. Like most of the classic chypres, it is unisex.

24 January, 2011

Weimar27's avatar
    Weimar27

The leather note is promising but it falls
    short due to the green note drydown but it's not merely a disappointment as it seems it becomes more warmer with the presence of amber and spiciness of rose
    the drydown is almost like an homage to the 1845 release of Creed's FLEURS DE BULGARIE with it's warm amberic rose scent
    but La nuit is more of a modern edgier
    and yet less abuse-of-the-power of Bandit or a cigar smoked room like decadence of habanita, La nuit has an
    reserved iciness an inner calm that bandit and habanita can't compare with
    almost translucent of your soul and of
    the namesake La Nuit.

03 December, 2010

jtd's avatar
    jtd

To read other people’s impressions of La Nuit, it is a scent of nostalgia, or something symbolic of an era (the late 70s, it seems, even though it was released in 1985.) I love that scent allows us to make these connections, whether highly personal or shared. To me, La Nuit is evocative of 2007 when I first smelled it. I never got the ‘takes me back’ thing. And having come up in mid 80s New York, believe me I yearn for those good old, bad old 70s. 70s New York was arcadia to the Reagan/AIDS scary 80s.

But I don’t get any of that from La Nuit. It’s the end product of a series of olfactive associations. Start with honey and civet. Honey registers to the nose as richness and starts to smell like piss as it gets concentrated. ( I know this from the comb from the hive that grew in our ceiling last summer.) Civet smells anal and then seems spicy /floral in dilution. Turn the volume up and down on these things and you get a range of strong olfactory ideas.

Set these two on the other principal notes, rose and leather, and the whole thing starts sliding back and forth between wholesome and jaded. Honey brings out the sweet and fruity elements of the rose; civet makes rose arid, spicy and hot. Honey makes leather rich and lavish; civet gives leather the nose-feel of sandpaper.

La Nuit allows others to relish the connection to an era. To me, the associations are a little more abstract. Isn’t it great that a perfume can do this to us?

29 November, 2010 (Last Edited: 01st October, 2011)

cheryl's avatar
    cheryl

This is a confounding perfume. I would describe it either as a "skanky rose" or a animalic chypre. To my nose, it does not resemble Bal a Versaille in approach. BaV is all purrr and nice kitty...this is bold. For some reason I'm thinking lots of mascara and a big black leather purse with fringe. I don't get patchouli. I do get roses and honey and lots of civet. It is nearly acrid...a vivid bright red skin tight short dress (maybe a leather dress). I have no idea what to think.
    This perfume seems to be saying SOMETHING about sex. I see both "cheap" and "sensual" in the comments of others. This is where it gets confounding. Maybe you bring your own baggage/illusions into this perfume. I'm winging it here~maybe it smells bold (look at me) AND illicit (honeyed civet). I wouldn't dare wear this out of the house. But--pretty interesting ride.

25 May, 2010

Jean Patou Fan's avatar
    Jean Patou Fan

A fruity chypre perfume, typical of the mid 80s, and very similar to Balenciaga's Rumba, Worth's Dans La Nuit, Montana, and Ungaro's Diva.

La Nuit is slightly more floral than the others I've listed, with some definite rose notes.

I'm really not a fan of this family of fragrances, and would never buy La Nuit, but I'm sure it would develop into something much nicer on some.

26 March, 2010