Paloma Picasso / Mon Parfum (1984)
    by Paloma Picasso

Average Rating: 4

Based on 181 ratings

Paloma Picasso / Mon Parfum Fragrance Notes

Paloma Picasso / Mon Parfum information

Paloma Picasso / Mon Parfum is a women's fragrance by Paloma Picasso. The scent was launched in 1984 and the bottle was designed by Rafael Lopez-Cambil

Shop for Paloma Picasso / Mon Parfum products online

75ml EdT
    50ml EdP
    100ml EdP
    100ml EdP
    50ml EdP

Reviews of Paloma Picasso / Mon Parfum

Showing 1 to 6 of 39 reviews.

Colin Maillard's avatar

Paloma Picasso is a quite respectable modern chypre, perhaps a tad tacky at the opening, but good and compelling enough. It shows a soft and mellow feel of sweetness which makes it somehow more lively, cozy, relaxed and juvenile than other dirtier, more austere or more "adult" chypres, together with an overall green-floral breeze (heliotrope too?) which cleverly contrast the classic chypre notes - "heavy" flowers, vetiver, oak moss, tamed-down castoreum (I don't get much civet). These are basically the strengths of this scent Ė the balsamic-fresh and slightly minty breeze, and a silky-sweet feel halfway floral and resinous, really pleasant and warm. Both features manage to blend with the classic chypre structure, at the same time contrasting it, and that is what makes Paloma Picasso appealing and "safe" for any fan of chypres, yet quite unique, and as I said, overall brighter and more playful. Somehow, it smells like a "watercolour chypre", if you want, yet vibrant and sharp. Not a masterpiece and not even a "must" in my opinion, but a nice and well-executed fun variation on a classic theme.

04th November, 2014

JackTwist's avatar

A pleasant, but unremarkable floral chypre that opens big (with a blast of menthol), then quiets down to a coriander/rose projection, dry yet fragrant.

I just don't get all the hype about this scent - my sample is an edp.

Barbara Herman was impressed - "green, floral, woody, spicy, mossy, animalic" and dubbed it a 1940s type chypre with an overdose of castoreum. Turin gave it four stars and dubbed it simply, a "floral chypre," noting it reminded him of Cabochard and Givenchy III. [I do not find that similarity.]

Top notes: Coriander, Rosewood, Bergamot
    Heart notes: Rose, Geranium, Tuberose, Jasmine, Muguet, Ylang
    Base notes: Patchouli, Vetiver, Amber, Musk, Civet, Castoreum, Benzoin, Oakmoss

Impressive on first meeting as a celebrity scent, but unable to keep up its interest over time.

29th July, 2014

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Chypre

Paloma Picasso opens on a big, brash accord of green jasmine, patchouli, peaches, and bergamot. The scale is huge and the intent is clearly to impress, then dominate. A rich rose note soon arrives to underscore the jasmine, while moss and labdanum base notes tie the bergamot into a recognizable chypre accord. In both its sheer mass and its basic structure, Paloma Picasso smells like a jasmine-based variant on the rose chypre style of its mid-1980s contemporaries Paris, Beautiful, and Knowing. Which is to say that itís completely at odds with the current trend of minimalist chic.

While no fan of olfactory minimalism myself, Paloma Picassoís flamboyance probes the boundaries of good taste. It aims at glamour but winds up smelling garish, and I canít help feeling self conscious when Iím wearing it. A few hours with Paloma Picasso leave me craving a nice, brisk eau de Cologne. Or a shower. Paloma Picasso doesnít smell especially bad - itís just that unlike Beautiful, Paris, or Knowing among the rose chypres, Opium among the monumental orientals, or Boucheron among grand scale florals, Paloma Picasso doesnít quite have the elegance or grace to offset its heft.

As you may deduce from my comments so far, sillage, projection, and endurance on the skin are all enormous, so Paloma Picassoís in no danger of going unnoticed. The big, bold floral chypre doesnít develop so much as (very slowly) fade away into a soapy rose, moss, and amber drydown that clings to the skin well past Paloma Picassoís already lengthy active lifespan. I can understand the affection this scent garners, but I donít enjoy it much myself.

23rd June, 2014

rbaker's avatar

A great opening of lemon mixed with a delightful hyacinth, quite unique. A floral drydown with a rose and coriander that is nice, but the base in truly simple but good - honey sweetness mixes with an edgier patchouli spiciness. Remembering the original, my latest sample is flatter and less deep and less rich - the newer version gets the neutral score. Good silage and projection with five hours of longevity. For elegant evenings.

20th March, 2014

cly1's avatar

Paloma Mon Parfum was my signature scent from 1984, until a few years ago, when it was reformulated. It has lost its' soul and I feel like I lost a good friend. Wish I could have a bottle of the original formula - what a dream that was.

22nd October, 2012

blood-orange's avatar

I think it may have been the bottle design that had me running in the opposite direction for many years due to its very 80's style. Now that I'm older I've found some great respect for those classic 80's fragrances, so as would be expected, Paloma Picasso was on my list of scents to try.

If you like heavy fragrances like Dior's Poison, CK's Obsession or Jean Patou's Joy, this could quite possibly be in your collection already.

Paloma Picasso is one of those rich, heady, potent florals. Although dated, this fragrance has sex appeal. In a way it's a power scent, something that one can spritz on and instantly feel in control and defined.

I'll agree that this is not a fragrance for young girls or the light of heart, Paloma Picasso suits a woman with guts. The dryness, an element from its chypre quality, makes this fragrance all the more likable and all the more mature.

This fragrance is a sillage monster, there is no doubt about it. It screams, "I'm here, I'm proud, I'm wild and I'm a real woman."

Paloma Picasso is a scent that piques your curiousity. I am still discovering this fragrance with its many layers and complexities. If this re-formulated version is supposed to be less complex than the original, I can only dream of how wonderful the pre-formulated Paloma Picasso must have been.

24th September, 2011