Paloma Picasso / Mon Parfum (1984)
    by Paloma Picasso

Average Rating: 4

Based on 181 ratings

Paloma Picasso / Mon Parfum Fragrance Notes

Paloma Picasso / Mon Parfum information

Paloma Picasso / Mon Parfum is a women's fragrance by Paloma Picasso. The scent was launched in 1984 and the bottle was designed by Rafael Lopez-Cambil

Shop for Paloma Picasso / Mon Parfum products online

Reviews of Paloma Picasso / Mon Parfum

Showing 1 to 6 of 38 reviews.

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Chypre

Paloma Picasso opens on a big, brash accord of green jasmine, patchouli, peaches, and bergamot. The scale is huge and the intent is clearly to impress, then dominate. A rich rose note soon arrives to underscore the jasmine, while moss and labdanum base notes tie the bergamot into a recognizable chypre accord. In both its sheer mass and its basic structure, Paloma Picasso smells like a jasmine-based variant on the rose chypre style of its mid-1980s contemporaries Paris, Beautiful, and Knowing. Which is to say that itís completely at odds with the current trend of minimalist chic.

While no fan of olfactory minimalism myself, Paloma Picassoís flamboyance probes the boundaries of good taste. It aims at glamour but winds up smelling garish, and I canít help feeling self conscious when Iím wearing it. A few hours with Paloma Picasso leave me craving a nice, brisk eau de Cologne. Or a shower. Paloma Picasso doesnít smell especially bad - itís just that unlike Beautiful, Paris, or Knowing among the rose chypres, Opium among the monumental orientals, or Boucheron among grand scale florals, Paloma Picasso doesnít quite have the elegance or grace to offset its heft.

As you may deduce from my comments so far, sillage, projection, and endurance on the skin are all enormous, so Paloma Picassoís in no danger of going unnoticed. The big, bold floral chypre doesnít develop so much as (very slowly) fade away into a soapy rose, moss, and amber drydown that clings to the skin well past Paloma Picassoís already lengthy active lifespan. I can understand the affection this scent garners, but I donít enjoy it much myself.

23 June, 2014

rbaker's avatar

A great opening of lemon mixed with a delightful hyacinth, quite unique. A floral drydown with a rose and coriander that is nice, but the base in truly simple but good - honey sweetness mixes with an edgier patchouli spiciness. Remembering the original, my latest sample is flatter and less deep and less rich - the newer version gets the neutral score. Good silage and projection with five hours of longevity. For elegant evenings.

20th March, 2014

Captain's avatar

Oak moss and I are like best buddies. :3 It's not as funky as a civet and castoreum heavy scent might seem, it's not fresh, it is gritty but not dirty. It's not pretty or sweet. If you want to be noticed instead of blending in, you will be noticed wearing this. Totally unique.

It's cheerful, love the powdery dry down, adore the whole thing. It's like Mitsouko without the spice. To me, it's blended as well as any fragrance I've tried so I have to say, it's a masterful scent!

06 December, 2013 (Last Edited: 10th June, 2014)

cly1's avatar

Paloma Mon Parfum was my signature scent from 1984, until a few years ago, when it was reformulated. It has lost its' soul and I feel like I lost a good friend. Wish I could have a bottle of the original formula - what a dream that was.

22 October, 2012

blood-orange's avatar

I think it may have been the bottle design that had me running in the opposite direction for many years due to its very 80's style. Now that I'm older I've found some great respect for those classic 80's fragrances, so as would be expected, Paloma Picasso was on my list of scents to try.

If you like heavy fragrances like Dior's Poison, CK's Obsession or Jean Patou's Joy, this could quite possibly be in your collection already.

Paloma Picasso is one of those rich, heady, potent florals. Although dated, this fragrance has sex appeal. In a way it's a power scent, something that one can spritz on and instantly feel in control and defined.

I'll agree that this is not a fragrance for young girls or the light of heart, Paloma Picasso suits a woman with guts. The dryness, an element from its chypre quality, makes this fragrance all the more likable and all the more mature.

This fragrance is a sillage monster, there is no doubt about it. It screams, "I'm here, I'm proud, I'm wild and I'm a real woman."

Paloma Picasso is a scent that piques your curiousity. I am still discovering this fragrance with its many layers and complexities. If this re-formulated version is supposed to be less complex than the original, I can only dream of how wonderful the pre-formulated Paloma Picasso must have been.

24 September, 2011

EugeniaLOL's avatar

I am very, very new to this; I don't know many frags yet and don't have a good basis for comparison. But I got a mini of this after hearing about it in several threads about green chypres. My current favorite is Niki de Saint Phalle, which is variously described as a green chypre oriental leather, has made me want to try other things with those descriptors to figure out how all those scent ideas work.

So far, of the 40 scents I've seriously tried, Paloma and Ivoire de Balmain are indeed very closely related to NdSP. All go through similar stages on my skin: green opening with various strong players popping up and stepping back, not all of which I recognize, but all of which are interesting to me; early drydown (after 15-30-45 minutes) I start smelling the "oriental" wave, which I gather are the spices and perhaps the beginnings of the woods; then the long-term drydown -- after an hour and as long as it goes, which varies -- the part I love most. Wisps of the opening greens, smoke-rings of the decadent spices, and the base. Oh the base. I am still buying samples and reading largely because I want to understand that base. Is it the much-mourned, now nearly banned oakmoss? Is it an interplay of oakmoss and other tenacious basenotes as mixed by master noses? It's the drydowns that are most related to alchemy for me.

Paloma is close to NdSP, not in detail but in overall shape. But its drydown is not as enchanting to me. I like it -- I smile when I catch a whiff -- but it doesn't make me excited to smell more, and talk about it, and get to the bottom of WHAT IS THAT INCREDIBLE SMELL?! as I do with NdSP (every time).

Ivoire de Balmain is a little different, a little sharper, a little more assertive. I do like it, but it lacks some of the roundedness and balance that I think both NdSP and Paloma have. It keeps a slightly irritating, maybe attention-grabbing, character throughout. Ultimately, though, its drydown is disappointing to me, staying with the nose-clawing sharp greens and soapiness, never letting in the spices and -- the thing that might be what makes me love NdSP so much -- the completely different type of bitterness and warmth that comes from tagetes (marigold). Ivoire is one my husband asks me about, in his hesitant and deeply respectful way, because he doesn't much care for perfume that smells like PERFUME, if you know what I mean, and he came close to asking me to scrub it off. It certainly projects the most of any green I've tried yet. I may try it again in extremely small amounts and see what he thinks as well as what I think.

Ultimately, I guess that just being a green chypre doesn't guarantee I'll like it. They are remarkably similar in many ways, and I expect they smell mostly the same to people who aren't interested in perfume.

05 June, 2011