RÍve d'Or (1889)

About RÍve d'Or

RÍve d'Or is a feminine perfume by L.T. Piver. The scent was launched in 1889

RÍve d'Or fragrance notes

Reviews of RÍve d'Or

This is a very beautiful scent; while it's name means "Golden Dream" it evokes for me rich sumptuous shades of red and rose-pink. On my skin it's a simple scent; a spicy carnation warmed with tea rose, supposedly orange blossom, with a touch of something dry, green and vaguely incense-like (vetiver, geranium and sandalwood) all at once encased within a soap bubble or mound of fluffy shaving cream.

Despite the soap/powder/aldehydes, it's not a cool carnation. Nor is it terribly sweet, dodging holiday-themed room freshener, grandma's potpourri or a gourmand spice-cookie fate dolled out to other vintage women's perfumes. Totally unisex, and very reminiscent of actual true garden carnations (pinks) out in the sun.

My first try I wasn't entirely sold on it as carnation can be a hard flower to wear, but it has since won me over and I find it a very comforting and cozy scent that can be applied quite liberally. Beautiful packaging and bottle. Metal seal is tricky to deal with. Dirt cheap to smell this good and quite unlike anyone else you probably run into daily. If you have hair long enough, splash a bit into it when it's damp from a shower to scent your hair for the rest of the day, gives a wonderful effect.
14th March, 2018
A little of this, goes a long way. Intense. Very old-fashioned style, fragrance. Sharp, almost tangy tea rose. Geranium is rose's sister here. A little woody, as it settles on the skin.
02nd October, 2017
This is a spicy floral from 1889 - wonderful that it is still available.

Primarily dominated by lilac, tea rose and carnation, this is balanced and sophisticated. I don't detect the orange blossom, only the pungent sharpness of the above named florals. Caron's Bellodgia comes to mind as resembling it. Also Patou's Joy with its emphasis on the sharp muguet heart.

Very crisp, very nice, very old world. Very inexpensive - it's a lotion, same strength as an aftershave, to be liberally splashed about one's head and shoulders following a bath, shower, or shave.

Recommended.
10th January, 2014
First review here :) There are things that I like much better and that are much more sophisticated, but I love this stuff. I bought 4 bottles of this lotion (427 ml) from a barbershop here in Hoilland that was closing down. Reve d' Or is french, means Golden Dream. It was created 1889 as a female fragrance, but it got immensely popular in the muslim countries around the Mediterranean. I lived for some time in the Middle East, and when I first sniffed it, I was transported back to the Bazaar of Cairo. It used to be one of the standard barbershop lotions in Morocco. It is said that especially the Berber men like it. I read a blog by a Turkish man, who loves this stuff because of the happy feelings of barbershop nostalgia it provokes.

So what does it smell like? It is floral, orange blossom and rich in aldehydes. I give the description of the website of the house of L.T. Piver:

Slip away into a world of dreams with this cocktail of rare and precious essences. An invigorating, radiant and bright start to the day with notes of orange blossom, tea roses, geraniums and vetiver that gracefully gives way to the magic of the heliotrope Ė a sensual flower whose delicate fragrance is enhanced as the sun gains in warmth Ė only to form a unique and bewitching scent that lingers on hints of sandalwood into the night.

It is very cheap. I paid a reduced price for my bottles, 10 euro. But it is availble from a Dutch webshop for about 20 euro, 427 ml. So if you like barbershop nostalgia, if you like to splash every now and then - I use it as a body splash too - or if you want a comfort scent to give you golden dreams at night, try it :) There are others that I like as wel, the Eau de Cologne a la Reine des Fleurs (created 1774, very nice!) en Heliotrope. All by L.T Piver.

03rd May, 2009
actually i dont know if this is really a women's fragrance..... my father used to apply it when i was a kid (may be there is a men's version) ...its unspeakably beatiful..... may be it is not a complex perfume (very straight forward with one note only :))... i think its not even a perfume..its a cologne or something.... but you feel happy when you smell it !!!!
i still remember the smell 15 years ago ....
04th November, 2008

Add your review of RÍve d'Or

Shop for RÍve d'Or products online

Oops! Unable to talk to eBay. Let us know if this problem persists

Member images of RÍve d'Or

There are no member images of RÍve d'Or yet. Why not be the first?

Perfumes launched in the same year as RÍve d'Or (1889)