Cachet (1970)

HousePrince Matchabelli
Parent CompanyParfums de Coeur
Parent Company at launchChesebrough-Pond's

About Cachet

Cachet is a feminine perfume by Prince Matchabelli. The scent was launched in 1970

Cachet fragrance notes

Reviews of Cachet

Aldehydes, Galbanum, Herbs, Spices.
Jasmine, Orris Root, Patchouli, Rose, Vetiver.
Amber, Civet, Leather, Musk, Oakmoss.

Wearing a fragrance, any fragrance, is different than smelling it on another individual. Since I'm a mature male, it would stand to reason that I've smelled this on women during my lifetime. I was able to snag a bottle of this recently and upon applying it the first time, I truly didn't care for it. To be honest, the opening was a bit too old fashioned and sharp for my current tastes. I remember thinking that I was glad I bought this vintage perfume cheap. $1.50 US for a 99% full bottle completely intact is always a win-win.

I admit to not recognizing the aroma during the duration of the opening. It smelled like a blast from the past, but not something I recall experiencing on the female persuasion. After 5 minutes however, I did an about-face, not only liking the transition but also knowing that I had smelled this before. It was the top accord, fleeting as it is, that I had never experienced. After all, how could I? I have never worn it until now and obviously have never been around someone who just applied it to themselves.

What I found slightly crass and intrusive morphed into something different, softer and assuredly more sensual. From the heart onward, a supple green and earthy tone comes alive that is accented by a mild herbaceousness. Normally, I have no problem with Aldehydes in the top accords, but I simply don't care for it here. Luckily, it lasts only minutes and steps aside to permit the spirit of this fragrance to shine. Even Mrs. Aromi thinks Cachet is "not bad" and normally disdains 99% of what I review.

Once the opening has run its course, the sensual side of Cachet begins to unravel. The presence lowers and seems to hug the body while revealing the heavier notes in this composition. A soft, floral herbaceousness comes to fruition on me, accentuated by a dry rendition of subtle rose. Once the base and drydown commence, moss and musk integrate very politely and permit a nice resiny amber to appear during extended drydown. Sillage is good the initial 5 minutes, then reduces to polite soon after. Longevity is approximately 5 hours on me with a few more as a skin scent. Thumbs up from SS, in spite of the opening that I don't care for. As always, a sample wear is highly recommended.
26th February, 2015
I agree with pansylady. The opening has a lot of incense. I'm inclined to put this in the Chypre category. It's interesting and definitely of its time. It's similar to Avon's Occur!...in fact, it smells like something Avon would do. Whatever you do, don't spray too much as a little goes a looong way.
08th November, 2012
Nostalgia! I have to be in the right mood to wear this. It was heavily advertised in 'girl's mags' in the 1970s as 'being different on each wearer'. I had to order it specially a few years ago when I wanted something undemanding for my son's graduation, something comforting that would stay any nerves I might have at meeting new people. Cachet is a lavender, powdery, sweet comfort blanket with staying power thanks to the woody dry down. So it's a 'nice' scent when one just wants to smell 'nice'. I prefer my scents to be a bit more interesting on the whole.
09th January, 2012
What wonderful memories associated with Cachet-high school days! I liked the scented body lotion better than the edt-I remember the guys liked it and knew it by name. It was a really young and fresh scent perfect for the time.
20th February, 2011
I thought this was really sophisticated way back when- I seem to remember some incense notes in this fragrance, and thought it had an intriguing bottle
04th December, 2009
I have loved this for years on and off. Get compliments on it and its so cheap and yet so classy in a subtle way.

Try it!
04th September, 2009

Add your review of Cachet

Shop for Cachet products online

Vtg Prince Matchabelli CACHET Cologne Spray Mist 3.2 Oz 2/3 Full, No Box, No Cap

End Date: Friday May-24-2019 14:03:45 PDT

Vintage CACHET PRINCE MATCHABELLI BODY MIST 1.7oz//50mlSpray FULL HARD to FIND

End Date: Friday May-24-2019 18:15:13 PDT
Buy It Now for only: $40.49
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

Vintage Cachet Prince Matchabelli Women Spray Perfume .4 fl oz 1970's ~ 10% Full

End Date: Saturday May-25-2019 17:33:24 PDT