Safari (1990)

PerfumerDominique Ropion
PackagingBen Kotyuk
Parent CompanyL'Oréal Group > Prestige & Collections

About Safari

Safari is a feminine perfume by Ralph Lauren. The scent was launched in 1990 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Dominique Ropion. The bottle was designed by Ben Kotyuk

Reviews of Safari

Back when this came out, I really, really wanted to like this, because I was a tad infatuated with the bottle, but that was before I learned to love galbanum, and never warmed to it.

25 years later, as a devoted green chypre freak, impulse-bought a tester, and now I'm having a wild love affair with it. Green chypre, but not with the austerity usually associated with that genre. This has added lushness, spice and sexiness.
18th July, 2015
Oviatt Show all reviews
Safari has a huge number of notes which--in any hands but those of a master--could have been a disaster. Dominique Ropion's elegant green floral (eight floral notes listed!) has a warm, musky base. Like Safari for men, this is a modern scent masquerading in period costume (the men's reminds me of Givenchy Gentleman and this one could easily fit in with Givenchy III), trying to recreate a world that never existed. More than evoking a campsite in Kenya, this is a ladies who lunch sort of scent, but there is as much big game hunting going on in Manhattan's Upper East Side as there is Nairobi. The smart huntress arms herself with the weapons best suited to bag her game, wherever she is. Muthaiga Club meets the 21 Club. Beautiful marketing.
10th July, 2015
Safari is what might be considered a transitional fragrance from the big green florals of the past such as, say, Givenchy III, YSL Y, No.19 and the more restrained floral style of the late 90's. Overall a good galbanum / floral driven composition with enough body to not result exactly *clean* but already devoided of the massive animalic presence of some of its similarly themed ancestors.

Honestly, I'm not crazy about it but put this juice in any of those modern *uber-luxury* niche packagings and you'll see…

12th January, 2015
What a happy scent!

Barbara Herman nails it, describing it as a green floral with sweetness and fruit.

It is very bright, best used in spring or early summer. It radiates joy with its perfectly balanced ingredients, none of which take center stage, all of which support each other in radiance.

Most appropriate for a young lady in her late teens or early twenties.

Odd name, but nonetheless a winner from Lauren. Very feminine, not at all unisex.
24th June, 2014
I was given this by a fleeting, or fleeing? love. A big deal since it'd recently been launched and was expensive for him as a perfume, or EDP. OI made a big fuss, then I took it home- thought it smelled like something used to deodorize the bathroom- hated it. Threw the big sucker away, but kept the guy- waaaay better than the perfume! Now I have a vintage purse size of it. Bad pennies always show up !Where's he now? Ha!

Ick on this frag!

Be Well!

29th October, 2012
I almost squealed with excitement when I saw a Safari tester in a store I visited a few weeks ago. It was on my 'for test' list a year ago but I had given up hope when every attempt to find it had failed.

This fragrance was everything I hoped it would be. I can actually imagine myself wearing this on a safari, however it may not be too wonderful under desert conditions. Oh hell, I'd wear it anyway.

Safari is a floral green like the olfactive group suggests, however it's also an oriental in the sense that it relies on some rather spicy and earthy notes to carry the composition. It's feminine but also very warm and sensual on the skin.

At times it can be a little sharp, however I love its bold qualities. After some time the scent mellows into a spicy-floral soapiness which is quite different from the opening which was a combination of green accords, fruit and bold resins.

Safari is surprisingly an elegant fragrance, so not what I was expecting, that is, something that you could wear with your khakis and your sun-hat. It's spicy and clean luxury to my nose.

The sillage is fairly strong, however on my skin this fragrance struggled to last. I was very disappointed that such a classic fragrance didn't last the distance.

Despite the longevity being poor, I still adore Safari. It's a shame that this fragrance doesn't accompany the rather popular Safari for Men on the shelves anymore.
04th April, 2012

Add your review of Safari

Shop for Safari products online

Shop for Safari at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Safari

Member images of Safari

There are no member images of Safari yet. Why not be the first?