Charlie / Charlie Blue (1973)
by Revlon

Charlie / Charlie Blue information

Year of Launch1973

HouseRevlon
Parent CompanyRevlon Inc

About Charlie / Charlie Blue

Charlie / Charlie Blue is a feminine perfume by Revlon. The scent was launched in 1973

Charlie / Charlie Blue fragrance notes

Reviews of Charlie / Charlie Blue

An excellent change from the uptight aldehydes. If Shalimar is a black evening dress, Charlie is jeans and a flower Tshirt. This is unique and stands out in a field of very similar others of the time.
14th October, 2016
Oviatt Show all reviews
When this was first launched, it was marketed as an emancipated tomboy of a scent, striding through the seventies in its high-waisted, wide-legged trousers (Jontue was for the romantic, feminine types). In reality, this is a nice floral chypre, not so different from what the rest of the ladies were wearing at that time, just packaged a whole lot differently. The marketing was a huge success and the Maxies and Babes followed in droves. Originally, this was a quality scent--sure it was at a low, attainable price point, which is why every high school girl could--and did--own this. Reformulations have not been kind to this iconic scent and I imagine that to today's young women, this smells as old and dated as any of the great classics. For a while, though, this blazed a trail and completely captured the zeitgeist of an age.
21st October, 2015
Revson of Revlon marketed the first "life style scent," with Charlie, according to Roja Dove. The emancipated, free-wheeling woman, Charlie marketed towards, was perfectly timed to coincide with a male-free, women's liberation attitude. It was also available everywhere and was affordable.

The original release used quality ingredients, though time has eroded most of those in the modern re-formulations. So go for vintage if you are sampling or buying.

I found it to be a pleasant, warm, floral, drying to a herbal chypre.

Top notes: Aniseed, Tarragon, Citrus, Peach
Heart notes: Hyacinth, Jasmine, Muguet, Carnation, Rose, Cyclamen, Orris
Base notes: Cedarwood, Sandalwood, Oakmoss, Musk, Vanilla
29th October, 2014
Tucker Show all reviews

I love what Charlie symbolised - that emancipated Halston wearing Revlon girl of the Seventies. I love the original TV ads - especially the Shelley Hack version in high waisted satin trousers and a shingled bob - SO chic (check it out on Youtube). I even love the flourish of the signature. But the fragrance - OK til the dry down - I was wearing Chanel NO 5 on my other wrist and momentarily they smelled the same - but not for long. I will grudgingly give Charlie marks for longevity - six hours later it's still lingering, but boy does it smell cheap - a skanky honeysuckle that scarcely merits its bargain basement price. Whether it's been reformulated - I don't know, although what hasn't? Perhaps they should rename it Charlene - far more in keeping with its image today.

( apologies to all the Charlenes out there reading this)
05th November, 2012
I'm basing my review on the Charlie from back in the 70s.

What I got was a bright citrus opening, followed by a mellow floral, very bright, with a clean drydown . In the mid 70s, I didn't know one girl who didn't have this on her dresser. When I see a tester of this in a drug store I always take a sniff, and it transports me back to high school. I think it is overlooked because of the low price tag, but it beats the heck out of some of the stuff that is so popular today (are you listening, Coach?)
17th September, 2012
They're still making this? What a trip! This was all the rage when I was in high school in the early 70s. For me it was the transitional scent between Jovan Musk and Rive Gauche. Every female I know got a bottle for Xmas of '73.

It is a flirty, somewhat strident feminine floral. For the price i can only imagine that it is 100% synthetic, and I would prefer more natural fragrances at this point in my life. But it did serve a purpose in my adolescence, and I will remember it with a smile.

09th September, 2012

Add your review of Charlie / Charlie Blue

Shop for Charlie / Charlie Blue products online

Oops! Unable to talk to eBay. Let us know if this problem persists

Member images of Charlie / Charlie Blue