Baghari (1950)

About Baghari

Relaunched in 2006.

Reviews of Baghari

Genre: Floral/Chypre

Weird, I tell you. Baghari announces itself with a blast of citrus, dry aromatic notes, and dusty animalic overtones that remind me somehow of – believe it or not – Yatagan. The impression is fleeting: Baghari’s opening is far brighter, with citrus where Yatagan has pine, and once past the thirty seconds it takes for Baghari’s soft, sweet floral accord and powdery aldehydes to establish themselves, it lives in an entirely different world. Too bad really, since the harsh, dangerous opening is fascinating in the same manner as venomous reptiles and carnivorous plants.

Startling gear change at the opening or not, Baghari is a great fragrance, and as its sweet, spicy base develops it moves from simply pretty to sultry and seductive. There’s plenty of sillage and the scent projects effectively, so you’ll always know you’re wearing it. It lasts well, too, darkening and softening all the while, until its nocturnal flowers slip away into a starless olfactory night.
09th June, 2014
You can sense the sheer quality of materials and perfumer artistry at play here. At first there is a huge whoooosh of snowy aldehydes, which like a snowstorm takes quite a while to clear and settle. I have to say that this was my least favorite part and is quite possibly a deal breaker for me. It reminded me so intensely of Chanel No. 5 EDT and it quite turned my stomach.

But then, once the snowstorm of aldehydes banks down, for the rest of the day you get gentle but persistent poofs of bitter orange peel (orangettes, as they are called in French) buttressed by wisps of amber and powder. The drydown is glorious. Pretty, formal, mysterious, sweet without being candied, powdery and floral. It is very feminine - I can't see a man pulling this off convincingly - but hey, I would love to see what this is like on a man, the contrast between the scent's inherent prettiness and the rough, stubbly skin of a musky male might be olfactory heaven, who knows...

Longevity and sillage are immense, impressive even. Enough to surround you with a haze of scent all day and night, at levels that make you seem simply attractive and not intrusively or loudly scented.

For me, this scent reads as formal. It is the type of fragrance I see a woman wearing to the theatre, not to a book club evening, let's say. I am not sure it is suited to an office environment - the immense sillage might make it less quiet than very formal office environments require. I really like this one, but I am wondering whether or not it has a place in my real life. I don't go to the theatre, and although my office is pretty relaxed about scent, this one has a formality and baroque feeling to it that I don't know I can live up to.

And those opening aldehydes, hmmmmmm.....that gives me pause for thought too. But in general, I really like/admire Baghari. I suggest it as a wonderful and more interesting alternative to young career women who might otherwise be wearing one of the younger Chanels, like Coco Mademoiselle or Chance. Baghari is far more interesting than either of those, and represents a very large step up in terms of complexity.
07th May, 2014
Yup, aldehydes fill my nose but only for a brief second. Then the neroli-violet dyad takes over, a beautiful flower given freshness by the neroli and aldehydes in quite a unique fashion, especially when a gorgeous jasmine is added in the delightful drydown. I then get flowery-elegant phase with orange blossom, with the base adding a well-designed amber that is not a very rich amber, more of an airy and elegant amber that towards the end displays a distinctly powdery note. Overall a flowery-oriental, but on my skin rich but not heavy, and never cloying or conspicuously sweet. Not a silage star like Visa or the Fracas dyad, it still sports good silage and projection with a good longevity of six hours. Great for spring days. I only cover the reformulated version as I unfortunately never tried the vintage formulation. A grand dame that has juvenile zest today.
25th January, 2014
I never thought I could love an aldehyde feast more than La Myrrhe, but man, was this a revelation! The opening aldehyde combo packs an irresistible zing! with candies orange, the realistic chypre mid-life with such a graceful musk drydown (much much later)...mon dieu! this is really beautiful stuff. As with Sarrasins, my wife finds this too feminine for me to pull off but I'm inclined to disagree. Nothing that smells this good can NOT work for whomever, right?
(I find this quite similar to Tauer's Orange Star, but is more complex, less powdery, just more elegant...) 9/10
10th March, 2013
Were I to attend a sci fi convention this is the perfume I’d wear. It’s cold, pale green milk from the Planet Zearxh.
It holds such opposite notes together in such exquisite balance, it’s a perfumery gyroscope. It never seems familiar, surprising each time I spray it on. The aldehydes go ssss, before the gas takes effect. Lemon cool and sharp, violet leaf bitter and greasy, abstract ‘fresh’ greens, geraniol’s liveliness, and clouds and clouds of powder. There’s sweetness lurking here too, but of an almost metallic variety. It’s one of those fragrances where the discussion of notes inevitably seems to throw off balance the actual experience of wearing the thing. It’s about as linear as they come, but I wouldn’t want it any other way – there’s enough complexity here, it seems churlish to demand evolution. For a ‘cold’ fragrance, it positively sings in the wintertime – go figure.
Some days I wake up and think, this is going to be a Baghari day – and then I just know it would be foolish to consider anything else.
13th July, 2012
A superb oriental - in the same category as OPIUM and JAIPUR HOMME, my two other absolute favorite orientals.

The scent is sensual, powdery, warm and captivating - cinnamon and vanilla float over amber and musk - although cinnamon is not a listed ingredient, the "effect" is there.

Here are the ingredients:

Bergamot, Damascus Rose, Centifolia Rose, Jasmine, Neroli
Aldehydes, Iris, Violet
Vetiver, Amber, Musk, Vanilla

Treat yourself - you'll be happy you did.
23rd June, 2012

Add your review of Baghari

Shop for Baghari products online

Shop for Baghari at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Baghari

Member images of Baghari

There are no member images of Baghari yet. Why not be the first?