Baghari (1950)

Parent Company at launchAlfin Inc

About Baghari

Relaunched in 2006.

Reviews of Baghari

This review is for the current EDP. Piguet is one of my favorite houses, and none of its fragrances thus far have actually disappointed me; Baghari, though, while it is a pleasant and perfectly respectable floral, does not single itself out as a fragrance I'd want to wear often. It is almost a generic concoction, albeit well done.

Vintage Baghari had an interesting edge to it that the current formula lacks, which of course should come as no surprise in this highly regulated era; I don't expect miracles. Still, this EDP leaves me flat.
11th July, 2017
This smells like aldehydes and jasmine, so it is somewhat similar to Chanel No. 5, but easy enough to tell apart. Baghari takes the aldehyde effect even further, like a viola or a flute being played more loudly, but equally well.

There's a fruit note setting this apart. It's fairly well buried under the powdery floral smell, but it's the note to smell for to know it's a Piguet and not a Chanel. From ClaireV's review below, this fruit note is reportedly orange peel, and I could agree with that, although it's quite subtle, and creamy; not sharp like a typical orange zest. As for a man pulling it off, I smell no problem, especially one who likes aldehydic, sweet, powdery florals.

Baghari is slightly alarming in the initial few seconds, but quickly becomes convincingly delicious.
01st July, 2017
I have become very interested in the house of Piguet over the last year or so, and I have acquired several EdP's from the house's contemporary collection of Fracas, Alameda, and Calypso. I must say I have not been disappointed in any of them. The next two I would like to try that are readily available are Visa and Baghari. However, I have been interested to know how these contemporary formulations compare to the vintages, too, so whence I had the chance to purchase a decant of Baghari EdC circa very early 1960s, I took a leap of faith and ordered it. This review is for that vintage EdC.

Firstly, I wished to mention that I think M. Guichard, the perfumer behind the 2006 Baghari EdP formulation, is spot on in his recreation of Baghari according to the notes listed for it on Fragrantica (aldehydes, musk, rose, amber, vanilla, and jasmine) because the vintage EdC is very much like the listed notes for the 2006 EdP, so bravo M. Guichard!

My vintage EdC decant opened with delightfully bright and sparkling, albeit very fleeting, aldehydes that truly took me by surprise given the age of the EdC. Sadly, they settled down much too quickly. Then musk, rose, and jasmine entered arms entwined like the Three Graces. At this point the EdC quickly began to transition into a skin scent. I could not detect neither vanilla nor amber, though, and if there were any other notes present, I was unable to discern them. An hour into the wearing, my EdC could still be detected albeit very faintly. Initial projection and sillage were quite good. Longevity was very poor, but I have no doubt this is due at least in part to the age of this EdC.

Overall, this EdC smells "like an EdC" in that it has that characteristic smell of many EdC's I recall from the 1960s. This is likely due to the low concentration of perfume oils. Compared to an EdP or extrait, those EdC's of yesteryear smelt, and I hope my bluntness here will be forgiven, cheap. However, in my imagination, if the perfume oils's concentration could be amped up, this would be a lovely, feminine fragrance very typical "of its time." It would have accompanied women's fashions of the day the way white gloves accompanied a pretty hat.

If you run across the vintage EdC or any other concentration, it would be worth trying it if for no other reason than the development of your knowledge of perfume history. My guess is that the contemporary Baghari EdP is very nice indeed.
09th May, 2017
I was ready to dismiss Baghari as a Chanel No. 5 clone, when a side by side comparison over the course of about five hours revealed, yes, a definite variation on that theme, but one with a compelling character all its own.

They certainly start off similarly, but after about 60 minutes, when No. 5 begins its slow slide into its slightly fusty, powdery jasmine and rose dry down, Baghari maintains an assertive citrus-and-spice brightness.

I adore No. 5, and have worn it on and off since I was a teenager, but Baghari, while still exhibiting the hallmarks of a grand dame of 40s/50s perfumery, seems much sunnier and way more wearable.

No. 5 purrs, but Baghari sings.
03rd May, 2017
Genre: Floral/Chypre

Weird, I tell you. Baghari announces itself with a blast of citrus, dry aromatic notes, and dusty animalic overtones that remind me somehow of – believe it or not – Yatagan. The impression is fleeting: Baghari’s opening is far brighter, with citrus where Yatagan has pine, and once past the thirty seconds it takes for Baghari’s soft, sweet floral accord and powdery aldehydes to establish themselves, it lives in an entirely different world. Too bad really, since the harsh, dangerous opening is fascinating in the same manner as venomous reptiles and carnivorous plants.

Startling gear change at the opening or not, Baghari is a great fragrance, and as its sweet, spicy base develops it moves from simply pretty to sultry and seductive. There’s plenty of sillage and the scent projects effectively, so you’ll always know you’re wearing it. It lasts well, too, darkening and softening all the while, until its nocturnal flowers slip away into a starless olfactory night.
09th June, 2014
You can sense the sheer quality of materials and perfumer artistry at play here. At first there is a huge whoooosh of snowy aldehydes, which like a snowstorm takes quite a while to clear and settle. I have to say that this was my least favorite part and is quite possibly a deal breaker for me. It reminded me so intensely of Chanel No. 5 EDT and it quite turned my stomach.

But then, once the snowstorm of aldehydes banks down, for the rest of the day you get gentle but persistent poofs of bitter orange peel (orangettes, as they are called in French) buttressed by wisps of amber and powder. The drydown is glorious. Pretty, formal, mysterious, sweet without being candied, powdery and floral. It is very feminine - I can't see a man pulling this off convincingly - but hey, I would love to see what this is like on a man, the contrast between the scent's inherent prettiness and the rough, stubbly skin of a musky male might be olfactory heaven, who knows...

Longevity and sillage are immense, impressive even. Enough to surround you with a haze of scent all day and night, at levels that make you seem simply attractive and not intrusively or loudly scented.

For me, this scent reads as formal. It is the type of fragrance I see a woman wearing to the theatre, not to a book club evening, let's say. I am not sure it is suited to an office environment - the immense sillage might make it less quiet than very formal office environments require. I really like this one, but I am wondering whether or not it has a place in my real life. I don't go to the theatre, and although my office is pretty relaxed about scent, this one has a formality and baroque feeling to it that I don't know I can live up to.

And those opening aldehydes, hmmmmmm.....that gives me pause for thought too. But in general, I really like/admire Baghari. I suggest it as a wonderful and more interesting alternative to young career women who might otherwise be wearing one of the younger Chanels, like Coco Mademoiselle or Chance. Baghari is far more interesting than either of those, and represents a very large step up in terms of complexity.
07th May, 2014

Add your review of Baghari

Shop for Baghari products online

Shop for Baghari at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Baghari

Member images of Baghari

There are no member images of Baghari yet. Why not be the first?