Calypso (1959)

Parent Company at launchAlfin Inc

About Calypso

Calypso is a feminine perfume by Robert Piguet. The scent was launched in 1959

Reviews of Calypso

Another winner from Piguet. I get a hint of menthol, but powdery, creamy, floral, and assured.
02nd October, 2016 (last edited: 01st October, 2016)
Genre: Oriental

Notes (from Piguet): geranium, mandarin, Bulgarian rose, orris butter, centifolia rose, patchouli, ambroxan, suede

Calypso opens on a juicy mandarin top note, then adds fruity, liqueur-like Bulgarian rose and polite patchouli over a foundation of sweet amber and iris, all rounded off with a warmly animalic musk. While Aurélien Guichard’s composition is presumably new, it has a nostalgic, classicizing feel to it. Everything is balanced, every proportion is well-judged, and nothing is out of place. The result, while hardly exciting or original, smells of quality, in that well-made, if occasionally stodgy, manner I’ve come to expect from Penhaligon’s or Nicolaï. Calypso is oddly plain and polite in a lineup that includes Bandit and Fracas, but worthwhile by its own rather conservative standards.
24th July, 2014
Calypso has its finger in quite a few pies.  The aquatic note makes you think you're going down one road, but the floral quality says otherwise. Then there's the salty, smoky quality and a smooth suede notes. Oh, don't forget the powder.

Calypso is awkward and I can’t quite tell if it works.

The disparate notes don’t read as a complex formula. They’re awkward and make you think that the perfumer might have been indecisive about composing Calypso. The fragrance it most reminds me of is Gorilla Perfumes Breath of God, although I also catch a whiff of Parfumerie Générale Psychotrope's Jolly-Rancher-on -acid note. Calypso is arguably more worked out than Breath of God, but it’s also less interesting.

Quirky but mannered, Calypso feels like a conversation with someone who's accent you can't quite pin down. It leaves me with the suspicion of an dodged question, as if the perfume is resolved but I'm not quite.
19th June, 2014
... maybe you have heard that the "Traversee du Bosphore" by L´Artisan smells like Turkish delight? Well it doesn't, while Calypso it does. And it is quite delicious too! The Rose here is very pleasant and together with the opening citrus and the powdery Iris they make for this accord of lokum, I think, that it is quite special. I may be totally wrong but on my skin Calypso is like an ode to rose. Calypso is not overly sweet and overall this is not a gourmand fragrance. Its projection is quite ok although for an Eau de Parfum I would expect a bit better performance. BUT Calypso lasts and lasts... on my skin well above 3 and a half hours after application. I don't know how to explain it but while I keep on smelling my wrist and find Calypso interesting and nice I still can't imagine this to be MY fragrance. Calypso is just a bit more floral/powdery than I could bear. For you guys who are a bit more adventurous ... at least give this a go. Calypso may be labeled as feminine but it is in fact quite unisex and so enduring. This review was written after trying Calypso from a 100 ml bottle of Eau de Parfum that is most likely the re-formulation.
02nd May, 2013
Reissue -

Projection - mild, but enough

Longevity - Initially seemed about 3 hours, but it appears to be improving... today it's rocking strong at 3 hours and I expect it to last a fair bit longer. Will update.

I'm not a master on identification, but to me the dry down is roses with a hint of citrus or lime. I enoy the fragrance, but it feels a touch feminine and I wouldnt wear it everywhere. A female friend seemed to agree on the feminine assessment.
29th November, 2012
Kaern Show all reviews
Rose, amber, orris root -- not very original, but there seems to be a spectacular musk note added here which sets Calypso apart. I believe the original was more feminine -- this is totally unisex. Lasts all day on me. A treasure.
15th August, 2012

Add your review of Calypso

Shop for Calypso products online

Shop for Calypso at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Calypso

Member images of Calypso

There are no member images of Calypso yet. Why not be the first?

Features relating to Calypso