Mystère (1978)
    by Rochas

Reviews of Mystère

Showing 1 to 6 of 9 reviews.
    positive 8 Positive Reviewsneutral2 Neutral Reviewsnegative No Negative Reviews

TerryM's avatar
    TerryM

This is one of my all-time favorite scents. I was walking down the halls of the Smithsonian in D.C. where I worked at the time (early 80s). I kept smelling this incredible aroma and was trying to follow it to its source. I eventually traced to another employee down the hall and around the corner; I only caught the trail of the scent that she left exiting the lady's room. I cornered her and found out the name and immediately went to Garfinckel's (sadly RIP) angdbought a bottle, a big splurge on my income at the time. It has been in my scent wardrobe ever since, even thought it was discontinued for a while and then resurrected (hate the new bottle). Warm, dark, woodsy and slightly herbaceous, mysterious and slightly possibly dangerous. You don't wear this to an early AM meeting; too heavy. But once the sun goes down . . . . a very ambery scent, and a brave man could wear this as well.

03 September, 2011

JessicaGrace's avatar
    JessicaGrace

I have a little vintage mini, not sure of it's condition. On me, a very dry cooking-spice note dominates the top and hangs on into the heart. Coriander is listed; I would have guessed cumin. No other note makes it through the fog. I smell like a sink full of dishes at a noodle house.

Eventually, some florals worm their way into the mix and soften the cooking-spice a little bit, but by this time the scent as a whole is fading. Remains dry, and would make a decent masculine. I don't smell enough moss to identify this as a chypre.

Overall, not a favorite. I was surprised to see it compared to Magie Noire in "Perfumes: The Guide" as that is scent that sends me straight over the moon. Perhaps my sample has aged ungracefully or maybe coriander is just too difficult a note for me.

16 June, 2010

Johannes's avatar
    Johannes
    Norway Norway

Incredibly complex, but still collected, bouquet. Absolutely unique and, well...mysterious. Mystère makes you dream.

29 April, 2010 (Last Edited: 03 June, 2012)

euphoropia's avatar
    euphoropia

I adore this classic, warm, chypre scent. I hope someone resurrects it!

30th September, 2009

Lisaandtheword's avatar
    Lisaandtheword

Unique, deep dark oriental, also seems like chypre. Spicy oomph at first, exotic & not too sweet. Tames down, a little.. dries to a cobalt blue silkiness, with rich dark wood underneath. pretty good sillage & duration. Drydown reminds me of Knowing- cool dark woods & flowers w/soft musk. But this has alot more pizazz! 2nd try- Full moon clear sky kind of feel.. not so soft & cozy, more moody. I love this but just for once in a while.

02 December, 2007

margi's avatar
    margi
    England England

I first wore this when I was 21 and considered myself very grown up and chic. Then it was one of the most mysterious frags I had used. It seemed very chic and french as FroFro commented. I recently began to use it again now I am in my 40's and found that either it had changed or possibly I had grown up. I found it mildly sickly and shallow. Still woody but also too sweet! I was disappointed and still grieving as I had lots of lovely memories wearing this frag. I won't buy it again, just good to remember it as it was. For those trying it first time, try before you buy. Goodbye old friend!!!

05 April, 2007