Santal (1978)

Santal is a feminine perfume by Roger & Gallet. The scent was launched in 1978

Santal fragrance notes

Reviews of Santal

rbaker Show all reviews
The bright opening notes, bergamot with lemon & lime, is given a dark green by a traditional lavender that manages to mix with the night notes, resulting in a bright and green delight.

As the drydown begins, so does the rise of the sandalwood. Initially timid, is increases in statue gradually over time until it becomes the skeleton that holds this creation together; never hugely prominent - natural sandalwoods rarely are - but always essential. Surrounded by an ever-changing set of ancillary notes, some white floral - orange and apple blossom, the a slightly spicy parade of caraway, anise, and tarragon, with a soft and smooth suede-like leather impression announcing the sliding in the the base note.

By now the sandal has fully developed; it is a smooth and unusually brightish compared to many other sandalwood by other houses. Further towards the base, touches of cinnamon and oakmoss adds a crispier side, but without the harshness that such a combination might evoke in oneself, a herbal undertone in the patchouli - think basil and whiffs of thyme - adds extra depth. The last stages turn sweeter when a tonka impression makes an appearance, it the latter is not too heavy, intrusive if cloying.

I get moderate sillage, good projection and a good seven hours of longevity on my skin

This is a complex autumnal sandalwood, in contrast other other sandalwood greats - think Creeds Bois de Santal that convicted as a Zen if Sandalwoods- and at stage sone of the less central lack individuality and intensity, but the quality of the ingredients in very good, and some moments are quite unique. The sandalwood note is beautiful. Overall 3.75/5.
04th March, 2020
I am not reviewing the bottle pictured above rather a
bottle of R&G Bois de Santal Sandalwood Eau de Cologne.
Unknown Vintage or release.
In any case, typical Eau with Citrus mounting so I slather it on.
I go into the Post Office, mill around for a minute and walk back to my truck.
I hear a Feminine voice behind me say "Young Man" so I look around to see if some youngster is being a pest. No one there and a woman probably mid 60's staring at me. I've just turned 58 so I'm a little startled and I do the who me? thing.
"Yes, you Young Man"
"Whatever scent you are wearing, is beautiful"
So I pour a dollop into her hand and she applies it to her arm.
I can count on my fingers of one hand being complimented on the scent I'm wearing.

Citrus and a light and ultimately a bit green Sandalwood Australian and Tolu scented.
16th July, 2016 (last edited: 14th November, 2017)
One of the best "Santal" ever. Period.

Almost difficult to describe. The rose-santal accord developed by this scent reaches the high mountains of the olfactive pleasure. A must-try for every serious perfume lovers..

Pros: Memorable Rose-Santal accord
Cons: Hard to find"

17th July, 2013
Rose (a spicy, incensey one), sandalwood and musk.
It doesn't smell clean but it is not skanky either.
Absolutely timeless and genderless.
I find it quite potent for an EDT (maybe mine has become more concentrated with age?)
08th January, 2011

Add your review of Santal

Shop for Santal products online

Member images of Santal

There are no member images of Santal yet. Why not be the first?