Sandalo
    by Santa Maria Novella

Reviews of Sandalo

Showing 1 to of 6 reviews.
    positive 3 Positive Reviewsneutral No Neutral Reviews • negative 3 Negative Reviews

verycharlie's avatar
    verycharlie

Recently an Italian friend gifted me a carrier bag- full of dried bushels of a particular wild oregano found only in Southern Italy, a special, much prized stuff, with a strong unique flavour very different to common oregano. Spent an afternoon rubbing this twiggy payload between my hands, breaking it down for putting in pots, sousing myself and my kitchen with it's fragrance in the process.

Tried Sandalo yesterday expecting, naturally, sandalwood, and instead recognised the rough, aromatic blast of my wild oregano. The herb has a distinctive smell; dry, strong, herbal, a little earthy, a touch of oily bitterness, and a definite medicinal, anisic aspect. A wonderful smell, but not one I would want to wear.

I definitely see this as masculine. Should be worn by an intellectual, cultured older gentleman, probably an academic, the kind of well-dressed academic whose self-assured style suggests confident, relaxed, liberalism and a sharp, enquiring intelligence. If you don't read Italo Calvino or appreciate wines and cheeses by regional speciality I don't think this is for you. If you like dry, anisic masculine lavenders you might want to give this a try....that's not to say this smells of lavender, just if you're into strong, dry aromatics it could be of interest.

23 September, 2012 (Last Edited: 24 September, 2012)

Marais's avatar
    Marais

I'm not sure if I'm supposed to wear this or polish the sideboard with it. A bit pricey when compared to Mr Sheen, and it contains less sandalwood. Not appalling, but far from appealing.

27 June, 2012

alfarom's avatar
    alfarom

A challenging sandalwood. If you expect the usual creamy interpretation of this note, stay carefully away from Sandalo as this composition by Santa Maria Novella is everything but creamy and smooth. Strongly medicinal, spicy and with the typical rough-herbal signature of this brand pushed to the very limits.

I really wanted to like Sandalo but, believe it or not, to me it smells exactly like a mouthwash.

18 December, 2011

bbBD's avatar
    bbBD

I once had the opportunity to sniff some pure Mysore Sandalwood oil. Surprisingly it only vaguely resembles the woody, spicy aroma of sandalwood one experiences with most perfumes. One can see the connection, but the pure stuff was buttery, creamy and even a tad sweet. SMN's Sandalo is more closely connected to this unadulterated sandalwood aroma then it is the 'traditional' interpretation of sandalwood found in fragrances like Floris Sandalwood, Profumum Santalum, etc. It's a tad sweet to start but evolves and becomes more aromatic on the skin over time. SMNs run the gambit from absurdly strong (Nostalgia, Peau d'Espagne) to mild (Rosa, Iris, Ambra). Sandalo is closer to the mild end of that spectrum and serves well those situations that call for subtlety when wearing fragrance.

Very desirable.

12 December, 2009

rutgoat's avatar
    rutgoat

Bought Sandalo blind and it is a shocking disappointment. At first I thought I just wasnt getting it, tried it again, put it away, repeated several times and still the same reaction. Why someone would want to smell like this is beyond my comprehension. Initial top notes of a medicinal Listerine type note with Eucalyptus, and then a subtle sawdust like note wafting and weaving with the listerine and eucalyptus. I am sure there must be real sandalwood essential oil in this, however it is forever lost and screaming to escape from this hideous mixture gone wrong. I did purchase the Patchouli and like it a lot, however the Sandalo is sad - very sad.

15 July, 2009

Texican's avatar
    Texican

I just tried this Sandalwood fragrance after shaving, and I must say, I'm surprised that it is listed here as a feminine fragrance. While much of SMN fragrances are unisex, this sandalwood is something that I would associate with a male. The opening is bright and peppery, almost harsh, drying down to a melange of plant matter and wood. Like their Spanish Leather, I wouldn't call it a "pretty" fragrance. But is is certainly one that calls for a suit and tie.

14 April, 2008