Murasaki (1980)
    by Shiseido

Murasaki Fragrance Notes

Reviews of Murasaki

Showing 1 to 6 of 10 reviews.
    positive 9 Positive Reviewsneutral1 Neutral Reviewsnegative No Negative Reviews

brightpearl's avatar
    brightpearl
    Netherlands Netherlands

Murasaki - you're still alive! Now I must find you! To think that someone at a Shiseido counter in Canada told me it had been discontinued. Disappointed, I sought solace elsewhere. For a time I was happy with Sung by Alfred Sung. I still like Sung, but I longed for Murasaki, the one I thought was long lost for at least a decade, and now today - I hope we can be reunited soon.

27 December, 2011

cheryl's avatar
    cheryl

I found my original bottle of this, likely from 1982, while sorting through old boxes...hmmmm...it has the shiseido touch..florals with a big twist of greeness...like green stems...avoiding the voluptuousness of the standard rose/jasmine/violet notes of many florals. You can detect a chypre structure. As it melds into your skin the rose does become more apparent. The basenotes serve to keep it hemmed in, not too impart even a whisper of indiscretion or impropriety. It's a young pretty daytime fragrance. Floral. No claws, but not an airhead either.

13 September, 2010

lauraschoice's avatar
    lauraschoice

This fragrance is gorgeous beyond words. But I'll try. Sophisticated, sensual, beautiful, timeless, exotic, elegant. It makes me think of nightclubs and silk evening gowns. Far and away my favorite, it lasts all day and I can't stop myself inhaling it every few minutes. The EDP is still available from online vendors so seek it out; I don't think you'll be disappointed.

03 July, 2010

paloma54's avatar
    paloma54

Murasaki is one of the few green floral fragrances still available anywhere at all. I absolutely love it, and discovered it by accident in the 90s. I bought perfumes from a wonderful lady who owned a perfume shop in South Carolina. Her daughter confided to me that Murasaki had been one of her favorite perfumes but that she had not been able to obtain any. Well, that was enough to pique my curiosity. I ended up phoning the Shiseido boutique in Honolulu and discovered that they had Murasaki. The daughter was thrilled and bought a bottle for her Mom as a surprise. I thought it was too good an opportunity to spring for a surprise myself, so I bought a bottle for myself. I was just beginning to realize how much the galbanum note in the top of a perfume made it attractive and beautiful to me. I have now been wearing Murasaki for a long time and wouldn't be without it. As far as I know, the formula has not been tampered with. Some of the other classic green scents don't work as well for me, as they have too much cedar in the base, or vetiver, or leather, such as Deneuve, Chanel #19, Vent Vert. On me it is a softer, wetter mossy perfume. One of my bosses always loved it, thought it reminded him of his Mom's Chanel #5. Funny, since I can't wear #5 effectively--all I can ever smell in it is aldehydes going straight to a base note.

03 December, 2009

hananouta's avatar
    hananouta

I had the original Murasaki fragrance and loved it. Are the "notes" given here for the 'original' scent or the new version? I hear that there were over 120 different ingredients. Am looking to market my own line and would like a scent similar to this. I am hesitant to buy this new version as I have heard it is very "rosy" and that's not how I remember the original.

06 October, 2009

Primrose's avatar
    Primrose

Murasaki has been a favorite scent since adulthood! (I was a child perfumista!) Yes, it *is* hard to find. I understand that it might be available in Japanese speciaty stores, or so I have been told. It seems that Zen is the only fragrance seen at Shiseido counters these days.

I love the freshness and green florals of Murasaki. The package insert states "floral bouquet from various roses and chrysanthmums and lilies...woody and grassy scents."

The color purple...Said to be inspired by by the passion of red and the intellect of blue.

23 May, 2009