Angel (1992)

PerfumerYves de Chiris
PackagingThierry Mugler
Parent CompanyGroupe Clarins

About Angel

No flowers in this scent! Just a whole load of food: Chocolate, Vanilla, Caramel...
Its uniqueness is what makes it so popular, but also the reason others can't stand it.

Angel fragrance notes

Reviews of Angel

anhdo Show all reviews
The opening is a mix of bergamot and incense helional, full of pure and transparent like the air, and on to a scent of fruit and full of sweet honey gradually spread, taking full feeling and delicious attractive as in the memories of childhood. Finally, Angel will be finished in vanilla, chocolate, caramel and patchouli wood, and sexy, attractive and powerful medium, full of charm.

The scent sensual, warm create a hard to resist the charm for women. Sample bottles impressive design with modern colors. Extremely good fragrance.
21st June, 2016
What could I possibly say that remains unsaid about Angel? Rich, dark, bold, statement-making sexy. I wear it everytime I can, feels appropiate for everytime. I've smelled it on formal events, wine tasting evenings, it even attends my pilates class.

No doubt it was quite a thing when it first came out and owned the gourmand cathegory, but now that same kind of scent has evolved into something intoxicatingly sweet as Flowerbomb or Manifesto, and Angel has another new market like gourmandchuli. And thank GOD for that patchouli, for that's the reason why something that smells edible also screams unedible.

I was gifted my first bottle when I was 16 or so and gifted it away. Then someone else bought it for me and gave it away. I finally purchased MY OWN bottle of Angel at a duty free in Sao Paulo.

It's heavy stuff if youre not into the patchouli note, but I somehow grew into it and welcomed it into my wardrobe. It's siilar to Shalimar -in structure- so you kinda have to wear it to figure it out.

It's a sillage monster, so I go gently on it, and definately wear it when I'm going on high profile. I have to admit that even when so many people wear it, it blends different on my skin -as well on others- and that IS the main reason why I like such a mainstream fragrance, dispite the fact of it's "uniqueness" in the market.

So, if you're reading this humble opinion on Angel and haven't tried it yet, give it a try on your skin and let it ripen. You've probably smelled it lots of times before knowing how it actually blends with your skin.
03rd April, 2016
Angel smells exactly like Morning After Armpits. You know that semi-sweet, semi-sour, semi-BO smell... when your deodorant has all but given up. It's still trying to hang on for dear life, & quell that funky BO that's trying so hard to make it's presence known, but it doesn't quite make it. So you're left with that hot, used up, dirty pit smell.
Angel says "I could really use a shower!"

I've tried wearing this a couple of times & it just smells like dirty BO.

Rub your wrists on your hot, steamy, morning after armpits - you'll get the exact same results & it won't cost you anything.
03rd April, 2016
I can’t really do a BLUF (bottom line up front) for this hot topic…too many moving parts. All I can say is that I’m on the “Love” side of the love/hate dichotomy. It’s a clumsy, unapologetic, fun fragrance with a sense of humor. I imagine Rose Tyler would make the TARDIS smell of Angel.

Yes it’s bold, but it doesn’t strike me as “in your face”. Maybe it’s the way my girlfriend wears it or her particular skin chemistry, but it’s not offensive to my nose at all. I’m in my early 30’s and she in her mid-20’s, for reference.

My layman summary would be: a playful burnt caramel/honey/patchouli...the drydown being almost pure patchouli to my nose, with some sweetness. Maybe I’m partial because my girlfriend is stunning, sexy, and an absolute muse to me and this is her go to, but she wore this long before I became interested in the wide world of perfumery, and I loved it then as much as I do now.

Like many fragrances, over-applying is going to have a negative result…I can see that being the case here more so than with many other fragrances. I’d venture to say some women who wear Angel, might wear a little too much (we’ve all been guilty of this at some point). Longevity is off the charts, sillage is a bit less so but still above average. I wouldn’t call it a full-blown gourmand honestly, but it’s in that realm for sure. I don’t get the cocoa/chocolate that many seem to. It is predominately caramel/honey with a lot of patchouli after the fact.

With the Angel hand cream, on top of the previously mentioned notes I get a bit of sweet urine mixed with fresh hay, but for whatever reason, it smells absolutely sexy to me. It’s kind of embarrassing to read that back to myself, but this stuff just drives me mad, period.
04th March, 2016
Tension created by the mixture of edible and inedible notes is what gives the gourmand genre its particular interest. The mind isn't sure how to react to something that says 'eat me' and 'don't eat me' at the same time.

Angel takes this effect one unsavoury step further with its red fruit syrup, candy floss and caramel served up with plummy rose and white flowers, dark chocolate, mothballs, bitter wood and mouldy rot.

The original, most distinctive and probably still the best gourmand on the planet. Certainly the most wicked.

*****
14th February, 2016 (last edited: 20th February, 2016)
Back in 1992, when everyone the world began wearing Angel, you couldn't have paid me to go near this gimmicky bottle. I wore classics like YSL Paris or masculines like Annick Goutal Vetiver. That was how I rolled.

I seem to recall Angel's peak years around the turn of the millennium. I was wearing Bulgari Black then, or sometimes Fracas. I still avoided the ubiquitous star bottle. I wouldn't even sniff it.

A few years later, I'm wearing Creed Indiana and Tocca's Bianca. Angel was right out then, too.

Life is different now and I'm mich more open minded. My only concern when I sprayed it on for the very first time today was how Angel would wear on my skin. And I'm happy to report that I think it works. I get almost no screech on my skin (thank God), but I do get a nice, slightly browned sugar cookie top note layered over warm cocoa and a fruity incense/patchouli base. Taken together, Angel smells
06th February, 2016

Add your review of Angel

Shop for Angel products online

Shop for Angel at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Angel