Tommy Girl (1996)

HouseTommy Hilfiger
PerfumerCalice Asancheyev-Becker
Parent CompanyEstee Lauder Companies > Aramis and Designer Fragrances

About Tommy Girl

Tommy Hilfiger's debut feminine scent - fresh and energetic. Launched at the same time as Hilfiger's women's clothing line.

Reviews of Tommy Girl

This bitter chemical soup of purple fruit, melon and black tea may - in theory - have been the ideal riposte to CK One but in practice it comes across as sterile and unfriendly.

Not as original as the Calvin Klein, nor as well made, Tommy Girl looks to have set perfumery on a rather dubious path - towards synthetic fakery on the one hand and mawkish syrup on the other.

*/*
02nd June, 2018 (last edited: 12th August, 2018)
The moment I put this on my skin I am transported back in time, to my last years in high school. It doesn't remind me of anyone specific, but rather brings to mind a certain type of girl I went to school with. Pretty, well mannered, glossy haired girls, dressed in crisp white shirts, lamb wool sweaters, and trendy jeans. They got decent grades, were popular with a certain type of boy, and never skipped class. They traveled in cliques and wore tinted lip balm. They may have played field hockey. I guess there was nothing to actively dislike about them, other than their complete lack of distinctiveness. We attended the same school, but lived in parallel universes. Wearing this scent feels wrong, like I've skipped back in time and morphed into one of them briefly.

Other than the associations, it's a pleasant fruity floral; clean, sparkling, up. I don't get much tea out of it.
18th November, 2017
So, it's a light, fresh, floral - I'm getting a lot less of the tea note than I expected. I had been put off tea fragrances many years ago when I had a constant supply of Bulgari Thé Vert shower gel and body lotion - I worked in a charity where a local hotel donated left over guest bottles of these and l'Occcitane products - our clients and ourselves smelled fantastic! Anyway, one day I just couldn't take the tea edge in TV any more and since then have steered clear of it in perfumes.
But here the tea blends beautifully with the flowers - and it has just the right amount of jasmine.

I also admit to prejudice against the whole preppy image of Hilfiger, and imagined that TG would be a sugar bomb. But it isn't. It's very pleasant but has enough depth to keep me sniffing. However, I'll need to reapply later as I've just been chopping celery - which adds a nice edge to TG but may be swaying my judgement.

And the best thing is - no 'aquatic' or 'melon' calone whiff (so far!).

Update: after swim and shower, I reapplied and get more tea this time, but it's still very pleasant!
08th May, 2017
This perfume is an absolutely beautiful, feminine fruity-floral! In his book "The A-Z Guide to Perfume" Turin says that this fragrance was inspired by the scents of flavored teas, and I can totally see that! I am a huge fan of a lot of flavored and specialty teas, and many of the loose leaf varieties have scents that are similar to what you smell in "Tommy Girl." It is, overall, a very sparkling, bright, sweet, fruity, flowery, pretty, delicate, feminine and refreshing scent! I would definitely buy a bottle of this perfume, and I would wear it all the time! It is, quite simply, a fragrance that gives off a lot of positive vibes! I have nothing bad to say about it at all! If there is anything to criticize though, it would be that "Tommy Girl" is a very light scent that doesn't have great longevity. It is definitely one that you'll probably need to reapply throughout the day, as the scent does fade a bit fast. I first tested this one from the actual bottle they had at one Tommy Hilfiger store I visited. But, by the time I got home the scent had disappeared, and I couldn't recall anything I wanted to sat about it! So, I finally got a sample, and was able to write this review as I sit here smelling the perfume on my wrist! :) So, yes, this is definitely a lighter scent, but that makes it a great recommendation for anyone who is looking for a great every day perfume, or one that's appropriate to wear to the office or to a job interview. This perfume is definitely a great choice, especially since it also smells so pleasant that I think it should put everyone in a good mood all day! :)
07th November, 2015
Luca Turin loved this, called it a "tea floral" and gave it 5 stars. Tania Sanchez (Mrs. Tuin) agreed.

They must have been suffering from horrendous head colds when they previewed this.

It's an oceanic melon, tempered with an artemesia woody note, copied a million times by others since 1996, but no better. To my nose it is a vile little thing, smelling just plain bad.

The number of positive reviews this has received makes me despair for the noses of the human race.
02nd October, 2015
Salutation.

A girl back at scholl had it all.she was beautiful, classy,smart and really nice person.she grew up to be beautiful,classy,smart and really nice woman.and their scent all those years has been TOMMY GIRL by TOMMY HILFIGER.because,like her,there is no need to shout to get noticed.the fragrance for that moment of awakening when girl becomes woman.Clean,Crisp,Joyful, Floral,Refreshing,Inoffensive,Soft and Girlish.

Soft camelia top notes drive the fragrance,subtly balanced with fresh mandarin essence and light apple three blossom.the quiet grace of sun goddess rose,day lily,honeysuscle,mint,grapefruit and violet are romancing the likes of magnolia,sadalwood,cedar and jasmine into a composition that stretches into a stanza of an amorous poem.TOMMY GIRL is the perfect romantic standby for the days you want to feel like the prom queen just like the our girl's of stories!why not everyday?...and today the our girl's of stories is 43 years old but she is still young at heart!

Sillage?Decent.

Longevity?Nice on my skin.

6.75/10

TOMMY GIRL by Tommy Hilfiger for women 1.0 oz Cologne Spray New in Box

End Date: Monday Nov-19-2018 6:29:56 PST
Buy It Now for only: $18.95
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

Tommy Girl By Tommy Hilfiger Women 3.4 oz 100ml Eau De Toilette Spray NIB SEALED

$24.99 (0 Bids)

Tommy Girl 10 By Tommy Hilfiger Perfume Women 3.4 oz Eau De Toilette Spray

End Date: Monday Nov-19-2018 13:28:32 PST
Buy It Now for only: $49.95
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

Tommy Hilfiger tommy girl 3pcs Gift Set Cologne, Body lotion, organizer NEW!

End Date: Monday Nov-19-2018 14:29:15 PST
Buy It Now for only: $68.00
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

Tommy Hilfiger Tommy Girl 1.7 oz/50ml Eau De Toilette Spray for Women NIB SEALED

End Date: Monday Nov-19-2018 14:58:48 PST