Antilope (1945)

Based on 50 ratings

Antilope information

Antilope is a women's fragrance by Weil. The scent was launched in 1945

Reviews of Antilope

Showing 1 to 6 of 13 reviews.

JackTwist's avatar

I have sampled the current version and find it for me a non-scent. I can hardly make out any of the 13 ingredients, listed above in other reviews. This is just barely a dry grassy scent. The vintage must have been wonderful- too bad they ruined it.

24 February, 2014

buren's avatar

I have a little mini of Antilope; I don't know its vintage.

I read the "ingredients", but my experience of it is a complex "grassy" scent...like a full summer meadow..or imaginatively, a savannah..

It blends well with my own scent & is not overpoweringly sweet. I have to use small amounts only because it is a very small bottle (sitting appropriately near three china leopards)...

21st June, 2012

Zut's avatar

The Antilope I am familiar with is a fleuri aldéhydé et boisé (floral aldehyde with wood notes). According to my 1964 Dictionnaire des parfums de France, Antilope has the following notes: jasmine, rose, lily of the valley, iris, cedar, vetiver by-products, patchouli, aldehydes, ambergris, musk and civet. It was recommended for younger women. They described it as a fresh and playful fragrance suitable for all occasions.

I was surprised to read a far more complete and complex olfactory pyramid for Antilope in the Fragrantica website:

Top notes: neroli, bergamot, aldehydes
    Heart notes: clary sage, rose, lily of the valley, jasmine, carnation, iris, violet
    Base notes: sandalwood, vetiver, patchouli, tonka, amber, oak moss, musk

According to my personal experience of this fragrance, Antilope's composition includes all the aforementioned notes plus a few more probably. This is a rather complex and well-balanced fragrance very typical of the early post-war era. To me, Antilope is a very feminine and sophisticated fragrance. The drier notes and the aldehydes are a little overwhelming at first but as soon as the dry-down begins, the rich woody notes emerge. I have not seen Antilope in the EDT concentration, just EDP. Also, the animalic notes (ambergris, musk and civet), which are almost a Weil signature, are quite present in the composition and not everyone can handle them. For these reasons, I shouldn't recommend it for just any occasion as the 1964 advert suggested. Is Antilope a little passé? Yes, but who cares!!! It is chic and elegant to a fault which cannot be said of some of the new trendy fragrances du jour.

21st May, 2012

sootie5's avatar

Loved the EDP, whats available now is way too heavy with alcohol and not enough of the components that made this fragrance one of my favorites. I have a huge bottle of the EDT but there is so much lacking in the EDT vs the EDP or even the oil. I personally prefer the oil. Is it possible to get the oils in Secret de Venus, Antilope and/or Zibeline?

03 May, 2012

I love the opening – I find it unusual and quite elegant with its “lilting blonde softness” chamomile (beautiful description, Calchic) and excellently presented aldehydes. It’s not long before Antilope Eau de Parfum moves to an indole-laden, rather ‘50s powdery-floral accord with jasmine, lily of the valley, orris, and rose all definitely exhibiting their charms in the heart notes. I don't find it very original but I, personally, can’t complain because its heart has turned Antilope into a compulsively sniffable affair. So far, this EdP reformulation delivers quite well. The drydown, though, is a disappointment. True, I’m happy the leather doesn’t rise up and bite me, but none of the other notes do have much of an effect either. For me the base dies… no iris, patchouli vetiver… only some anemic amber, a half-hearted cedar, a spongy leather, and a characterless musk. The base comes across very weak to me. I don’t know where the problem is, but I do have a problem finding enough substance in it.

I would love to have sampled the vintage offering

11th December, 2010 (Last Edited: 22 November, 2011)

Weimar27's avatar

This one came out during the craze for aldehydes where the rage and this hapends to have aldehydes this one has more of an exotic tinge to it chanel no 5 has more of a sparkling bergamot and lemon weil's antilope more is a musky
    leather of a perfume.