Je Reviens (1932)

PerfumerMaurice Blanchet
PackagingRen Lalique
Parent CompanyShaneel Enterprises Ltd

About Je Reviens

Resurrected in 2004 as Je Reviens Couture - a prestige fragrance. Previously the fragrance had slipped down into mass-market.

Reviews of Je Reviens

This was my absolute favourite as a child in the '70s - I think the blue colour got me - the perfume came in a disk shaped bottle and the liquid was a lovely midnight blue. My mother used to let me use it, and one fine early '80s day, I took the bottle with me on a night out, wearing a white jacket. The bottle broke and the blue stain on that jacket smelled divine for years afterwards. Oddly, I can't find any references to blue liquid (as opposed to bottle ) Je Reviens, but my memory is of blue liquid..

I've always loved the overtone of something vaguely chemical in this and was interested to read that this is due to salicylates. It's floral but not sweet, has a spicy woody background, and still smells good (in the 'Couture' version). However it doesn't have the heft and body it had in my memories. If I didn't have the memory of what this was in my impressionable youth, I don't know how I'd feel about it.
19th July, 2017
I have two different, modern version bottles of this. One smells better than the other. One is too aldehydic; the other is much more floral. I've been buying Je Reviens since the early 1980's. It has gone downhill somewhat; lost its charm. Still, it is unique compared to other aldehyde-prominent fragrances I own. I keep this around for sentimental reasons. I would not really recommend this one if you want a classic floral.
20th June, 2017
This for vintage parfum:
Now I know what coumarin smells like. Hay, sweet almond, nutty, sharp, green. Layered with clove, it's gorgeous. Top notes have likely gone off a bit due to age - aldehylic white florals was all I got, but I wasn't paying too much attention tbf.
I'll come back to this in time, but I only have 2ml of vintage juice to play with, and some needs saving. I'm surprisingly intrigued by this. If I can find something with the same coumarin and clove accord, I'll be overjoyed.
EDIT - bonkers hairspray and mouthwash qualities. Really odd, but fascinating.
16th March, 2017
I wore Je Reviens on and off in the early 80s. Im sure it read as dowdy and anachronistic, especially on a twenty year old, but Id never smelled anything quite like it and was taken by its plastic, synthetic beauty. I knew a few floral aldehydes and loved Arpge, Joy and No 5 but I knew nothing about the history of perfume. It would never have occurred to me to consider perfume as the product of an era, though I was aware that my other perfumes, Antaeus and Kouros, were newer.

What struck me about Je Reviens was that I could break it down and identify some of its qualities. Not notes, but descriptors. The other perfumes I knew existed as complete entities. I could no more easily dissect Joy than I could take apart a marble bust and show you its constituent parts. But I could read Je Reviens. I didnt have a vocabulary for it, but I could tell that it juxtaposed its elements differently. It was powdery and buttery at the same time. Im sure the cobalt bottle influenced me, but Je Reviens smelled both blue and yellow without ever mixing to become green. The different qualities fit together but didnt blend like the bouquets in Arpge and Joy. I found abstraction in perfumery at the same time that I was discovering my proclivity for abstraction in other art forms. I started to think of perfume as a composition.

I still smell Je Reviens the same way, but I have more context for it. The contrasting qualities still sit next to each other without blending, but now I chalk it up to a particular use of aromachemicals, most likely vintage musks and a famously heavy dose of benzyl salicylate. It still reads as floral, but now I see it as densely woody with a stemmy, watery crispness and a background hint of smoke.

Je Reviens was released in 1932 and was a precursor to the the green florals and chypres of the 50s as well as the the metallic 60s- 70s green florals. Although it comes from the 30s it has a 1950s sensibility. The delineation of the notes the suits the rigid artifice and cocktail party mentality of the mid 50s. It is a floral speedball seen through a blur of martinis and amphetamines. The plasticky aromachemicals amp the florals and give a gloss that slurs the speech just a touch.
21st June, 2016
I smelled the most recent version of this the other day. How very horrible it is. I can remember this fragrance from the 1970s, and whilst, then, I did not like it, I realised that it was a very clever, well put together, original fragrance. There was, at the time, nothing like it. What has happened? It is now a badly constructed, aldehydic mess. After, maybe ten minutes, all I can smell are Aldehydes. After that, I gave up and threw the smelling strip away.

What I smelled recently should not be called "Je Reviens".
30th January, 2016
I wore the cheap stuff in the eighties, simply because it was cheap and quite fun. However, I've just had the privilege of buying the Couture and I am shocked! Is this the way it's supposed to smell? The opening is reminiscent of the cheap stuff that I know and like, but then it becomes way more complex and beautiful. I am absolutely hooked. My signature scent has always been Rive Gauche, but I think I've just found another one.
Indescribable.