Rive Gauche (1971)

About Rive Gauche

Re-orcestrated in 2003

Rive Gauche fragrance notes

Reviews of Rive Gauche

I had this in the late ‘80’s, and loved it. It was a fabulous scent that was reformulated and, in my opinion, ruined when I came across it years later. I remember feeling very sophisticated and "grown-up" when I bought it. I was lucky enough to receive a sample of the ‘86 stuff (thanks purecaramel!) and it was wonderful to try it again. After three hours of wear, I was enveloped in a lovely, soft veil of creamy jasmine and gardenia, with a touch of powder. There was also a very faint indolic note – not enough to ruin it, in fact it just made it more intriguing. The bergamot and the green notes add just the right amount of tang, which stops this from being too powdery sweet. I don’t get much of the peach, but I do get a bit of the rose. One of our students came in to my office today and straight away said “oh, you smell soooo good!”, so the sillage is obviously good. I seem to remember this being a bit spicier on me way back when though, but ugh, I’m so old now that it could just be my memory playing tricks on me ;) This is a good one, and the staying power is right up there – 11 hours and still going and still lovely. Apparently it has been reformulated again – is that true? Has it improved from its first re-formulation? Would love to hear your thoughts.
06th September, 2016
Rive Gauche, Mmmmmm!!
1970's. At the time, it had a big dollop of Sandalwood.
I have been told that reformulations killed it.
Well as luck would have it a bottle of this gem from the American years 86-92 I was able to find. Those old Butane bottles are the best. This scent's all as I remember. Adelehyde blast, almost metallic Bergamot. Balanced, Billowing Bouquet of Jasmine and Muguet and Non cloying Rose. Gosh this is gorgeous! All plush in the drydown of Quality Wood, Oakmoss and Savon.
I can wear this! And will!!
Thumbs up for the Vintage!
26th January, 2016 (last edited: 20th August, 2016)
An odd green floral/wood scent that is pleasant, but unremarkable.

Turin gave it 5 stars and named it a "reference rose." The rose is very very faint and gives us the green note. It combines with peach, muguet and jasmine and floats above "dark resins," such as vetiver, sandalwood and musk.

Top notes: Peach, Bergamot
Heart notes: Rose, Jasmine, Muguet, Geranium, Orris, Ylang
Base notes: Vetiver, Tonka, Sandalwood, Musk, Oak Moss, Amber

Certainly nice, but there are better green roses out there (Jacomo's Silences, Dior's Diorling and Laurent's own initial scent, Y, come to mind).
20th June, 2015
Salutation.

RIVE GAUCHE by YSL is an exceptionally recognizable and generous fragrance.it is a artistic example of what a real Classic fragrance should be.A noteworthy combination of Fresh Fruity notes and a bouquet of Feminine floral that accords with a Precious Woody base notes to make a Delightful,Ladylike,Discreet, Everlasting,Sophisticated and Classy.

However it is not too strong but has a presence which is lasting and completely impressed my olfactory senses.It is also a versatile fragrance for any occasion especially perfect for someone going to a board meeting. suitable for a Demure and Stylish lady. Anyway a wonderful classic fragrance but not in a old fashioned way.

Sillage?Ok.

Longevity?Very Good on my skin.

7.5/10
09th June, 2015
I got married in 1982 in this scent. I can't wear a lot of scents because they cause a migraine but this one was nice. I hope they did not mess it up when they re did it in 2003. I have not seen this perfume since my wedding bottle became empty.
14th November, 2013
Body chemistry matters

This scent smelled AMAZING on my friend. Soft, rich and creamy, with a hint of soap. On me, it took on a chemical face with a raw edge that lasted for hours. I finally gave it away. Ah, chemistry.

Pros: Long lasting
Cons:

27th October, 2013

Add your review of Rive Gauche