Opium (1977)

PackagingPierre Dinand
Parent CompanyL'Oréal Group > YSL Beaute
Parent Company at launchCharles of the Ritz Group

About Opium

Opium is a feminine perfume by Yves Saint Laurent. The scent was launched in 1977 and the fragrance was created by perfumers Raymond Chaillan, Jean Amic and Jean-Louis Sieuzac. The bottle was designed by Pierre Dinand

Opium fragrance notes

Reviews of Opium

Even if it doesn't rock your world straight off - that first spray is heavy and unusual - don't give up.

It mellows significantly, while maintaining depth and interest. It becomes vanilla and wood and gentle spice, but with a twist utterly unique to Opium.

You can use this very sparingly; just a dab beneath the hair will do. OR, you can spray more liberally and command a room with it.

I could wear this to an opera, or to a heavy metal festival. It's classy and complex, not in any way girly. It's also brave, and would do well rubbed off on a black leather jacket - a man's or a woman's.

Wonderful.
09th June, 2017
Oh wow!

This is the very first time I have smelled this cult fragrance and it is in its true vintage form - WOW! I can definitely see why so many seek it out - but I cannot pull it off. I know this was/is marketed to women, but there is NO REASON why a man should not own as EASILY wear this scent today!

I think this needs to be worn with Christian Louboutin heels, at least 3" high if you are a woman, which is why I cannot pull this off. Having screwed up my back, knees, and having broken a toe during multiple sporting pursuits as well as psychiatric holds, I am simply unable to rise above 1" heals - and that will not do for vintage Opium. Not at all.

Or I'd need a sex-change, and heels or not, I am ALL woman. No changes necessary or desired.

I still give it a positive review as it is everything it claims to be - it is me that cannot be WITH it.
06th May, 2017
I've got a sample of "Opium Secret de Parfum". I guess it's the same as the EDP, as the notes and descriptions fit. The opening is very aggressive, itchy, acid, almost vinegar-ish. Then it settles in a beautiful mix of florals (jasmine) and myrrhe which gives it a masculine side. Beautifully vintage and sexily feminine though. Sillage and longevity are huge!

I like the EDT even better, as it is softer and spicier, but with as much sillage.
02nd May, 2017
kjp Show all reviews
perfection in its original form.classic.i always have a bottle in case of emergency
24th July, 2016
Musk and flowers and a little powder. So much more depth than some of the lighter, fruitier fragrances I tested at the counter. I was warned this had a lot of musk, and was happy to find out it was true. It has a few oils in it, so they tell me, and it does wear closer to the body.

I enjoyed it
19th July, 2016
Oh,to me the Original spicy oriental that as a young child I loved. I have seen so many different ingrediant lists. It just pulls me to find out what i found so irresistable.

I found what is my thing spicy orientals. Several natural perfumeries have similarly wonderous mixes. Wish I could remember their names. Anyas Garden, Ayala something, oh so many I need to name.
16th June, 2016

Add your review of Opium

Shop for Opium products online

Shop for Opium at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Opium

Member images of Opium

There are no member images of Opium yet. Why not be the first?