Opium (1977)

PackagingPierre Dinand
Parent CompanyL'Oréal Group > YSL Beaute
Parent Company at launchCharles of the Ritz Group

About Opium

Opium is a feminine perfume by Yves Saint Laurent. The scent was launched in 1977 and the fragrance was created by perfumers Raymond Chaillan, Jean Amic and Jean-Louis Sieuzac. The bottle was designed by Pierre Dinand

Reviews of Opium

An old school good scent. And yes, it's unisex IMO. Complex, not too versatile but with a giant projection and longevity.

04th June, 2018
I have owned the vintage Opium from the early days ever since I tried some at a perfume counter. I just had to have some.

Most of the time I considered it far too potent for casual wear, so that is the reason I still have it in nearly full bottles.

But being curious about the new formulation, I have finally decided to give it a try.

The initial blast is far different from the vintage formula. Lots of synthetic notes in there. Not the same at all.

But after 30 minutes or so, it does settle down into an exact representation of the vintage Opium.

The only thing now is to see how it stays after a few days or so. The original just keeps going and going on your clothing.
27th May, 2018
This is a review of the 2009 version. It is pretty much like I remember wearing, back in the 90's. Less spice though. The top is briefly sweet then quickly turns flowery. Carnation and jasmine are prominent for me, in the middle. The base is darkish for awhile, then the amber and vanilla kicks in. I will enjoy the decant I have but, a full bottle isn't in my future. I DO have a vintage sample around somewhere. That review will follow later, at some point...
22nd April, 2018
Charged with starting the
Opioid epidemic,
She proudly confessed.
06th December, 2017
A very "white" fragrance. When I think of "Opium" I think of dark drug dens in old England, full of smoke. This is the opposite. White flowers amber and myrrh. A bit of a anticlimax after all of the hype over the years.
26th July, 2017
Even if it doesn't rock your world straight off - that first spray is heavy and unusual - don't give up.

It mellows significantly, while maintaining depth and interest. It becomes vanilla and wood and gentle spice, but with a twist utterly unique to Opium.

You can use this very sparingly; just a dab beneath the hair will do. OR, you can spray more liberally and command a room with it.

I could wear this to an opera, or to a heavy metal festival. It's classy and complex, not in any way girly. It's also brave, and would do well rubbed off on a black leather jacket - a man's or a woman's.

Wonderful.
09th June, 2017

Add your review of Opium

Shop for Opium products online

Oops! Unable to talk to eBay. Let us know if this problem persists

Member images of Opium